British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy robin

Robins Vs Rye House

Not the best of meetings but I've seen worse a bit similiar to Rye House last night, Doyle head and shoulders above everyone, enjoyed it but the smallest crowd I've seen at Swindon. Why's it always cold there and always windy. Lol

Was at Swindon in 2011 on the Thursday before the Cardiff GP for an EL meeting with Poole. One pass in 15 heats. Tonight couldn't have been worse than that surely?

Just a normal night at the Abbey for me. A couple of decent races, the rest a one line procession. As you say, The same as at rye the night before!

Yet again I not talking about myself but people in general a point that quite clearly you can't get your head around ..tonight was a crap a meeting in anyone's book .

In your book it was and you are entitled to your opinion but was tonight that bad.? i have seen some meetings with no passes all night.Tonight the Kennett v Morris race was decent in itself not many riders pass Morris when he hits the front at the Abbey.
  • Like 1

In your book it was and you are entitled to your opinion but was tonight that bad.? i have seen some meetings with no passes all night.Tonight the Kennett v Morris race was decent in itself not many riders pass Morris when he hits the front at the Abbey.

Not sure if you noticed but Morris was slowing down so Kennett could pass ..as others have already said swindon looked like they not trying to to hard for what ever reason in some races .surely you dont think Kennett who was miles benind in each heat was going to beat morris from the back in the real race ..have a look what happened in heat 13 after Kennett was miles behind again..

I have to say I was generally disappointed with the Rockets tonight, after losing a close one the night before I expected a "fired up " team, well 26 - 10, it wasn't the response I was expecting.and despite the scoreline being only 8 points we never really looked like getting a point.

I am struggling with Kennetts away form (3.29 before tonight and he didn't even match that) and actually a stunning ride in Heat 11 actually made the other 3 last places seem worse.

Many thanks Batchelor for a great "guest" performance but a special mention should be also be given to Perks who but for a fall in the lead of Heat 2 and a close overtake of third, would have scored paid 11. The surprise of the season.

• Like 2

Perky had 4 good battles with Zach, the Swindon boy coming from behind in the first 2. Harris wouldn't have done as well as Batch.

The Robins team looks good, the biggest concern must be the poor crowd, real lack of atmosphere, there has to be regular Thursday night racing.

Swindon at Somerset was far better racing, you never expect too much excitement at the Shabbey.

Bloody cold wind last night.

• Like 1

Perky had 4 good battles with Zach, the Swindon boy coming from behind in the first 2. Harris wouldn't have done as well as Batch.

The Robins team looks good, the biggest concern must be the poor crowd, real lack of atmosphere, there has to be regular Thursday night racing.

Swindon at Somerset was far better racing, you never expect too much excitement at the Shabbey.

Bloody cold wind last night.

Robins team looks good may be a little questionable after one home win but the tweak we are about to perform should see us much more solid down the line
  • Like 1

I was with my 13 year old son at the stall selling tee shirts and saw Martin Ashby stood close by.

"That's Martin Ashby there," I said to him.

"Where?"

"There. In the black leather jacket," I said.

"That guy there?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"But he just looks like a normal guy," said the boy, somewhat suprised.

"Well he isn't" I said.

Not sure what he was expecting. Not a "normal guy" apparently.

Not sure if you noticed but Morris was slowing down so Kennett could pass ..as others have already said swindon looked like they not trying to to hard for what ever reason in some races .surely you dont think Kennett who was miles benind in each heat was going to beat morris from the back in the real race ..have a look what happened in heat 13 after Kennett was miles behind again..

Why would Morris give away point money ?a crazy statement if so why didnt Morris go wide and let him through on the inside?Kennett had to take huge risks to pass Morris also didnt Morris try everything to pass Nicholls in one race. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I was with my 13 year old son at the stall selling tee shirts and saw Martin Ashby stood close by.

"That's Martin Ashby there," I said to him.

"Where?"

"There. In the black leather jacket," I said.

"That guy there?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"But he just looks like a normal guy," said the boy, somewhat

"Well he isn't" I said.

Not sure what he was expecting. Not a "normal guy" apparently.

You are right, he wasn't/isn't a normal guy. Perhaps if he was wearing superhero T shirt bought from the stall, that would be a more appropriate description of him ;)

• Like 1

Top man was Martin. I'll never forget his efforts while guesting for the dons after we lost Tommy in 1976.

They have to sort the schedule out better as fans do get out of the habit when there is large gaps between meetings.

I know Swindon wanted to hold back home meetings so they could have them on their invisible new track but it gets worse with every passing season.

• Like 1

Martin is not normal, he is a God from the small town of Marlborough. Can recall when I went into his workshop by The Roebuck, quiet, unassuming, bloody nice chap, always has time for a chat.

Why would Morris give away point money ?a crazy statement if so why didnt Morris go wide and let him through on the inside?Kennett had to take huge risks to pass Morris also didnt Morris try everything to pass Nicholls in one race.

How do you know that he was going to lose points money? It was fairly obvious to me that that there was a different attitude from our riders once they had a big enough lead. As our averages were dependent on that meeting & crucial for any team rebuilding, what's to say that they weren't paid for the points lost in the team interest. I don't know that there is any audit of the rider's wages.