British Speedway Forum
waco

Lakeside V Plymouth Sat 17th June 7-30 Pm

Speedway is all about opinions. If you think the racing at rye this year has been superb, then you must have low expectations. The track has been ultra slick with one line out by the fence, and as for the stadium, it is little more than a building site with no improvements carried out since the start of the season. I used to think things were bad under Len, but i enjoyed it more then, and this comes from a rye regular since 1972!.

• Like 2

I have supported Speedway at every level since I started many years ago. For me I do not mind which league I watch so long as I see enthusiasm from

both the riders and management. Stadiums vary, obviously, and Arena is the most basic but it doesn't stop me from going as I support the team. Rye fans

must be a bit peeved off when they are promised all sorts of stadium improvements which, according to comments on this forum have not materialised. The

management might pay the price for that eventually.

Amazing how people differ. I live 3 miles away from Lakeside or arena as i prefer and i never go there At the track the viewing is awful nearly as bad as watching football at stratford. The track has to be flat because of the stox so zero banking. For me it is without a doubt the worst track i have been to and i have been to 90 odd. As far as Rye goes the road opposite the station is a five minute walk. The racing was superb for the visit of Belle Vue but the crowd although decent was nowhere near the levels of the early saturday meetings . There is also plenty of banking to stand on on the bends and you don't actually need to balance of a piece of wood on the back straight.Nothing will ever replace Custom House Waterden road or even New Cross but Rye House has been my choice since 76 and Arena essex doesn't come close. r

I can only suggest you change the place you stand at Lakeside. I have stood at different points around the track and never had any trouble viewing.

As for saying there is no banking that really is complete nonsense. If you stand on the straight the track is level with the stock car track, if you then move to the apex of the bend it can be clearly seen that the Speedwáy track is about a couple of feet higher than the stock car track due to the banking .which is pretty much the same as Rye House.

Whilst I have only been an occasional. visitor to Rye I have never seen close racing there other than odd heats. The attraction of Rye for me is that you can stand very close to the racing, more so than Arena.

I agree that nothing can or ever will come close to Custom House or Waterden Road,

• Like 1

I think westhamboy is comparing Arena to the London Stadium as regards being so far away from the action, it's not really something that has ever really bothered me, you just get used to it but for away fans used to being closer to the action it's harder to accept and the reason I think why a lot of non Hammers fans dislike the place.

The closer you are, the louder it is and the greater perception of the speed.

At big stadiums like west ham and white city you were quite a distance from the track, especially on the bends. It never stopped me enjoying the racing at these great venues, that I still miss today.

• Like 1

yeah but with respect Cityrebel West Ham and White City were not riding in front of just a few hundred, the atmosphere i bet was amazing.

To be honest the crowds for league racing at both venues wasn't great in my era, Although big meetings like the british and intercontinental finals pulled in big numbers.

What was the reason for no programmes being available?

A mix up with the courier. The same thing happened to me on the IOW last season. Who says lightning don't strike twice!

wouldnt surprise me if this Sunday they use the Plymouth programmes with an insert for the iow match and still charge full price for it.

I go to both rye and lakeside. The rockets attracted an excellent crowd for a midweek meeting against belle vue, yet the hammers struggled to pull in the punters last night. I will be at arena next Sunday, because I will always choose a league match over a challenge fixture.

I believe many Eagles fans go to Lakeside but fixtures clashed

You are right, there are always a few eagles fans at lakeside. I don't think the promoters realise the impact of a home fixture clash with your local rivals.

Lots of nostalgia on this thread with memories of West Ham and White City. Best of the lot IMO was Waterden Rd. Always great racing

and although I started life as a Hammers fan, I was a regular there. Very sad when the track was changed when Terry Russell took over

and I wondered at the time why he did it. Then the new stadium was built and lasted about 5 minutes. Olympic Stadium sits there now,

a lot grander but nothing like the atmosphere of "Agony Wick" !!