British Speedway Forum

Not Natalie nor Scott - the bloke who hasn't ridden a speedway bike at the highest level. He is knowledgeable about speedway even if he is not liked by all fans. We all see things differently and so polarised views emerge on every topic.

Not Natalie nor Scott - the bloke who hasn't ridden a speedway bike at the highest level. He is knowledgeable about speedway even if he is not liked by all fans. We all see things differently and so polarised views emerge on every topic.

CONCUR with that

Entertainer????????

One observation in addition. Occasionally slow to update riders positions during races.

This is one of the things I picked up on during a heat. But as someone whos job it is to write the software for this kind of thing, I'm struggling to think of a good, resilient way of making this work quickly and correctly. Bearing in mind that the person operating will be a professional graphics operator and not a speedway fan. So they won't be that quick at noticing a position change and what happens when you have two riders battling side by side?!

I have some ideas and I'm tempted to knock something up and over lay it during a meeting and see what I can come up with.

I'm not suggesting anyone sugarcoats their comments but do keep them balanced.

As someone who works in the industry, I'd be happy with the feedback so far. It's all simple things to change and I think the general feeling is they did a good job.

To be fair, many times I've been tearing my hair out (figuratively speaking) whilst watching motorsport as the cameras have followed the leader cruising around in their armchair reading a newspaper and eating sandwiches (!) and completely missed an exciting tussle is going on behind. Don't know if the BT Sport filming crew have covered speedway before but I'm sure the coverage will improve, first nite and all that....

The media should always exaggerate the positives and hide the negatives.

Sorry, it isn't (and never has been) the media's job to be a cheerleader for speedway - or any other sport. The media should always be objective.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

To be fair, many times I've been tearing my hair out (figuratively speaking) whilst watching motorsport as the cameras have followed the leader cruising around in their armchair reading a newspaper and eating sandwiches (!) and completely missed an exciting tussle is going on behind. Don't know if the BT Sport filming crew have covered speedway before but I'm sure the coverage will improve, first nite and all that....

MOST if not all have covered speedway before, working as freelances for Sky.

This is one of the things I picked up on during a heat. But as someone whos job it is to write the software for this kind of thing, I'm struggling to think of a good, resilient way of making this work quickly and correctly. Bearing in mind that the person operating will be a professional graphics operator and not a speedway fan. So they won't be that quick at noticing a position change and what happens when you have two riders battling side by side?

Get transponders on the bikes. That would be a good start!
  • Like 1

Seems like a bit of sharp practice to me.

If you had owed them £20.19 they would have been after you quick enough.

No the wonder some Companies get a bad name. I am not thinking of changing my provider at present but if I was, I would avoid talktalk like the plague.

Thanks for the tip Bruno. :t:

That's ok twk but still no refund yet, how long does it take in this day and age. Keep away from talktalk folks

• Like 1

To be fair and balance the situation, I was with TalkTalk for 2 consecutive contracts and didnt have any problem with them.

Waiting to transfer to BT and having loads of problems - which may be more down to Openreach rather then BT

Edited by OveFundinFan

Overall I thought it was good considering the budget that was involved for BT coverage compared to Sky's previous productions.

as others whom have or are involved in TV production it could be seen on screen. Many of cameraman used will have done Speedway before for Sky and Eurosport/BSI but they can only work with the equipment provided the same for the graphics wasn't so much the design it would have been the play out system used.

Just to clear something for Mr Rising about Sky executives visiting Speedway, Barney Francis has attended a couple of meetings before as has his deputy Darren Long down at Poole and Coventry.

The great late Vic Wakeling was very much a fan of Speedway and he often used to ask me about it and he was the one that pushed to try and get weekly magazine style show

With regards to next season let's see what happens with the tv meetings this year and how the viewing figures are. The door is definitely not welded shut for Speedway at Sky even more so for 2018

With regards to next season let's see what happens with the tv meetings this year and how the viewing figures are. The door is definitely not welded shut for Speedway at Sky even more so for 2018

If speedway bounces from one contractor to another then that could kill the sport as much as what else is going on.

I am prepared to pay to watch speedway on TV but would find it very difficult having to change say from BT one tear to Sky the next and whoever else for the third year.

Different lengths of contract, different equipment etc all add to the costs for a viewer and I can easily imagine the situation when enough is enough.

What I need is continuity, football has fixed term contracts, so will other sports - Moto GP has a 3 year contract and so on.

For speedway to start jumping from one to the other each year is a no from me. Its now took me 4 months of a year to change from Sky to BT, and its not complete yet.

I for one could be lost to speedway for good.

• Like 1

The commentators picked up in the heat when two riders caused a rerun that the two innocent riders went straight back to the tapes, the two guilty ones stopped at the pit gate to be attended to by pit crew. Keep the pit gates closed for straightforward tape infringements. Easy decision to make. Whose call is it to open the pit gates??? Gag him.

I too have missed on a recording the a final because the meeting had run over schedule. Very annoying.

Did these offenders touch the tapes if not why stop the race?

Touch the tapes and your excluded - no exclusions so no one excluded.

Move and the referee has the choice of judging an unfair start so all riders called back

Discussion on here seems to imply the ref can give a moving rider a warning - which it seems he did during Mondays meeting.

no exclusions so no one excluded.

That's cleared it up, then