British Speedway Forum
norbold

Time For Norway's Top Five

Leif 'Basse' Hveem's record of successes make's Harrfeldt and Eide look like also-rans. True he pulled up no trees in 1953 at West Ham in just 4 matches, but on the international scene he was unsurpassed by any other fellow countryman, with Norwegian, Nordic, European and World Championship titles on the speedway and Long Track.

​I am going from memory but thought that in his 1953 matches for West Ham he placed in the top scorers and in one match was the first rider to lap the Custom House track at over 50mph.

There's no qualification on this topic, - Top 5 in the UK / British Lge, - OR - Top 5 you've seen - OR - Top Norwegians. . - ?

Leif 'Basse' Hveem's record of successes make's Harrfeldt and Eide look like also-rans. True he pulled up no trees in 1953 at West Ham in just 4 matches, but on the international scene he was unsurpassed by any other fellow countryman, with Norwegian, Nordic, European and World Championship titles on the speedway and Long Track.

His record reads;

SPEEDWAY

- Norwegian champ 8x ; (Harfeldt 4x, Eide 5x)

- European champ 1x ; ( SH & RE - nil )

- Nordic Champ 8x [3 forerunners + 5 Off'l ] ; (SH & RE nil )

LONG TRACK

- Norwegian champ 8x ; (SH 3x, RE nil )

- Nordic champ 8+, [3 inter. years winner unknown] (SH & RE nil )

- World Champ 3x [as Euro forerunner] (SH & RE nil )

Whether you saw him ride or not, these figures make the question of the No.1 Norwegian a 'no contest.'

Totally agree. In 1953, during his brief time with West Ham Basse Hveem top scored at Norwich, when as reserve he recorded 5 race wins and set the fastest time of the meeting. In two appearances at Poole he won a World Championship qualifying round with 14 points and scored 17 points for Overseas against Britain.

• Like 1

Rolf Gramstad was another fine Norwegian rider, unfortunately his career was cut short by serious injury.

• Like 1

1953 - Basse Hveem in action for West Ham.

18284_1630337403852611_10505421610829208

Forgot about Oyvind S.Berg!

Not really familiar with Hveem...impressive record it has to be said!

Oyvind S Berg was quite popular at Oxford wasnt he Steve? him along with Middleton and the underated Genz all were Oxford legends.

I didn't know that Britmet. He was obviously very much better than I remember.

When did you see him then, TWK?

I think the Post from TWK has been placed on HIDE norbold.

Oyvind S Berg was quite popular at Oxford wasnt he Steve? him along with Middleton and the underated Genz all were Oxford legends.

Very much so Sid...and many fans were disappointed that he was unable to return in 1973 (he did, however, put in some brief appearances for Poole in 1974)

He was very popular at Glasgow , who he joined from that mob along the M8 .

He was at Glasgow's 60th anniversary meeting in 2006 and I asked him what the " S " stood for , he replied " super " :wink: .

Sadly he passed away not too long after that .

• Like 1

I haven't seen him at all norbold.

I read about him a long time ago. I'm talking many years, and that is what I mean't. My memory of what I read must be wrong.

• Like 1

I haven't seen him at all norbold.

I read about him a long time ago. I'm talking many years, and that is what I mean't. My memory of what I read must be wrong.

Ah, right! Got you now. :t:

• Like 1

True he pulled up no trees in 1953 at West Ham in just 4 matches,

Totally agree. In 1953, during his brief time with West Ham Basse Hveem top scored at Norwich, when as reserve he recorded 5 race wins and set the fastest time of the meeting. In two appearances at Poole he won a World Championship qualifying round with 14 points and scored 17 points for Overseas against Britain.

Okay, that makes Hveem even better than I've credited him to be !

.. . . . or I could say "One swallow. . . ." but I won't.

He was very popular at Glasgow , who he joined from that mob along the M8 .

He was at Glasgow's 60th anniversary meeting in 2006 and I asked him what the " S " stood for , he replied " super " :wink: .

Sadly he passed away not too long after that .

I always thought that was Oyvind's best form when at Glasgow i only saw Glasgow a few times also saw Coatbridge as well Jimmy mac, Monk,Beaton, Hunter C.Sjosten great seeing those teams you usually only see them once a year.

I always thought that was Oyvind's best form when at Glasgow i only saw Glasgow a few times also saw Coatbridge as well Jimmy mac, Monk,Beaton, Hunter C.Sjosten great seeing those teams you usually only see them once a year.

Bobby Beaton drove our supporters coach a couple of weeks back , scary to think he's in his early sixties now .

• Like 1

Bobby Beaton drove our supporters coach a couple of weeks back , scary to think he's in his early sixties now .

Bobby really was an exciting rider a lovely style and he was not to shabby either at Newcastle in his Div 2 days.Paulco was Coatbridge the largest track you ever went to ? and did you see Christer Siosten/Egon Muller ride there?.I saw Muller score 0 at the Abbey for Coatbridge then 10 years later he went on and become World Champ.