British Speedway Forum
Hawk127

Could The Uk League Run On A 4tt Basis

Given the general quality of racing at the 4TT particularly at International level and the overall lack of team racing as it use to be (riders generally racing for themselves now days) would this type of meeting work even if it was team A and Team B in a League match. The overall winners of the combined totals get three points second highest scorers get two and third get one with those finishing fourth getting no points. A format needs some thinking about but you could have alternate heats for A and B classed riders and a final for each. The combined results count towards league Points/placing. This would also give tracks the chance to mix it up in terms of meetings to subject to rider availability. The main criteria being that every team must complete the same number of A and B fixtures but in any order that suits clubs and rider availability. Just a thought but what he heck, the club / team racing as is unsustainable going forward so perhaps it is time to think outside that box. This is just a thought for discussion not a topic for vitriolic responses.

I am certain there have been league competitions run on a 4TT basis in some European countries over the years. Offhand, Italy and Hungary spring to mind but I would need to check further to confirm this. But Hawk127's suggestion is one that is worth further debate IMO.

It's a non-starter for a professional league because promotions only receive revenue from home meetings, and 4TTs would mean that only 25% of meetings would be at home instead of 50%.

Denmark did run their leagues on this basis in the past, but that was more a part-time competition, ran far fewer meetings, and their cost structure was and is different.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

The problem would be that you would have to pay wages for three away meetings from the gate receipts of one home meeting, I know the wages would be less but I am not sure they would be enough to cover the costs

I am certain there have been league competitions run on a 4TT basis in some European countries over the years. Offhand, Italy and Hungary spring to mind but I would need to check further to confirm this. But Hawk127's suggestion is one that is worth further de

think W Germany did in the 70's, sure Les Glover used to ride over there

It would kill off the already on its knees dying art of team riding.

As a more mature fan on the odd occasion I get to see team riding I really enjoy it

• Like 4

It's a non-starter for a professional league because promotions only receive revenue from home meetings, and 4TTs would mean that only 25% of meetings would be at home instead of 50%.

Denmark did run their leagues on this basis in the past, but that was more a part-time competition, ran far fewer meetings, and their cost structure was and is different.

I am sure that with some thought these problems could be overcome and if the structure was right every club would not lose but as is usual on here more negatives than positives. The sport is dire as it stands and needs shaking up. I suspect that some would have the same view in cricket and the 20/20 versus boring matches. Watch the sport eventually disappear with the view that 'its a non starter'. Why not Suggest something positive that will save this good motor sport from the state that it is currently in then regular criticise. Time to close the topic.

I am sure that with some thought these problems could be overcome and if the structure was right every club would not lose but as is usual on here more negatives than positives. The sport is dire as it stands and needs shaking up. I suspect that some would have the same view in cricket and the 20/20 versus boring matches. Watch the sport eventually disappear with the view that 'its a non starter'. Why not Suggest something positive that will save this good motor sport from the state that it is currently in then regular criticise. Time to close the topic.

​I fully appreciate your comments Hawk127 but feel it is a little early to close down the topic. The usual experts (!!!!) have not yet given their opinions. IMO more debate is needed in regard to Hawk127's OP.

It would kill off the already on its knees dying art of team riding.

As a more mature fan on the odd occasion I get to see team riding I really enjoy it

I seem to remember a 4TT years ago where the riders actually rode in pairs, with just maybe a nominated final heat with one from each team.

Denmark and Germany have run leagues containing 4 teams in a league match .

Non starter for me.

I seem to remember a 4TT years ago where the riders actually rode in pairs, with just maybe a nominated final heat with one from each team.

​Yes, I recall something of that type of 4TT racing. No reason why heats should not be on a 'two pair' basis.

I am sure that with some thought these problems could be overcome and if the structure was right every club would not lose but as is usual on here more negatives than positives.

Well the negative is that 1 in 4 meetings rather than 1 in 2 will be revenue generating for each team, and that's a big inherent problem to overcome to start with. Plus you'll need to pay for at least 16 and possibly 20 riders (if you include reserves) at each meeting, rather than the 14 needed for matches now, so that's more travelling expenses. And if that's not enough, you can't make a decent heat formula in less than 16 heats, so that's at least one more heat to find points money for, before you even consider the reserves who'll otherwise be sitting around.

I won't even get into the difficulties of scheduling 4TT fixtures to ensure that every team gets the same number of home meetings and meets every other team in the league an equal number of times. Or the excessive repetition it causes if you're able to achieve this.

So sorry to be Mr Negative, but a 4TT structure isn't going to revolutionise the sport for all the reasons above. Might work for a short duration tournament that's primarily funded for television and sponsorship, but that isn't going to happen in the current climate.

Why not Suggest something positive that will save this good motor sport from the state that it is currently in then regular criticise.

I wasn't asked to suggest something positive - I was commenting on why a 4TT format isn't the answer. The problems with speedway are far deeper rooted than the format of the meetings, and it's now so utterly undercapitalised that it's probably doomed. However, my view which I've expressed many times on here is that it needs to be cheaper and offer better value in terms of the number and speed of running the heats, and teams need to be made-up of riders that turn-up every week.

Nevertheless, plenty disagree and believe the sport should bankrupt itself to attract back the mercenaries, organising meetings when it suits them rather than the spectators during the summer months. Plenty also think British-based riders should be off riding in mickey mouse competitions masquerading as continental championships in order that a handful of half-decent riders can be selected for other tournaments that also don't provide any financial benefits to anyone other private speculators.

Until these underlying issues are addressed, tinkering with the format is just moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

Used to dislike the 4TT formula which relied on riders of other teams to help either increase your team's overall lead or close the gap depending on the scenario...but with the ever increasing threat of track closures in the recent past and/or present there may be only four teams contesting a particular league anyway!

However my particular dislike of the 3TT beats the aforementioned whereby your team didn't compete, if I recall, in a third of the meeting!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Without intending to be negative I can only agree with those exploring the difficulties of making it work on a 4TT basis.

I can only offer, as a possible saviour to the way the sport is becoming extinct ( in the form it is now ) the ideas that we so nearly adopted several years ago. This being that the riders all rider the same machines - probably something like the Honda experiment. They could even be 350 cc ( or 500 cc ) single cylinder machines of lower BHP. NO tuning, in fact sealed engines and limited other changes ( if possible none ) to standard machines. Closer racing with more passing with skill being the deciding factor. There are of course lots of negatives to be pointed out, I am sure.

Without intending to be negative I can only agree with those exploring the difficulties of making it work on a 4TT basis.

I can only offer, as a possible saviour to the way the sport is becoming extinct ( in the form it is now ) the ideas that we so nearly adopted several years ago. This being that the riders all rider the same machines - probably something like the Honda experiment. They could even be 350 cc ( or 500 cc ) single cylinder machines of lower BHP. NO tuning, in fact sealed engines and limited other changes ( if possible none ) to standard machines. Closer racing with more passing with skill being the deciding factor. There are of course lots of negatives to be pointed out, I am sure.

Standard engines would certainly get my vote. A 4TT might be an alternative for a cup competition, cup matches that are the same format as league matches would probably add interest if they were changed to something different.

Standard engines would certainly get my vote. A 4TT might be an alternative for a cup competition, cup matches that are the same format as league matches would probably add interest if they were changed to something different.

Seem to recall that in 1979 (?) Cup matches were run over 16 or even 18 heats without the use of guests or the R/R facility?

I actually rode a 250cc Honda bike at one of Olle Nygren's Training Schools in between riding the standard 2 valve JAWA 500cc.

• Like 1