British Speedway Forum
SCB

Buster Chapman - Is He Good For The Sport?

No. Just be quiet.

That's a pathetic comment. Chapman junior actually had some excellent ideas of how to improve speedway's lot. But the dinosaurs (and his dad is one of them) wouldn't have a young whippersnapper telling them what to do. There's absolutely no chance of the sport ever getting out of this downward spiral without fresh ideas and faces - but you just keeping telling yourself how good it is.

• Like 3

That's a pathetic comment. Chapman junior actually had some excellent ideas of how to improve speedway's lot. But the dinosaurs (and his dad is one of them) wouldn't have a young whippersnapper telling them what to do. There's absolutely no chance of the sport ever getting out of this downward spiral without fresh ideas and faces - but you just keeping telling yourself how good it is.

And because the BSPA don't welcome new ideas from anyone of any age or background that downward spiral can only lead to the end of speedway as we know it now ( or have known it ). Even ideas such as handicap racing ( as at the IOW recently ) could be employed - not a new idea but a "fresh" one that could make speedway racing attractive to a new generation of fans by reducing processional racing.

And because the BSPA don't welcome new ideas from anyone of any age or background that downward spiral can only lead to the end of speedway as we know it now ( or have known it ). Even ideas such as handicap racing ( as at the IOW recently ) could be employed - not a new idea but a "fresh" one that could make speedway racing attractive to a new generation of fans by reducing processional racing.

Obviously not seen the Olympique held at Wolverhampton.

I am an intelligent fellow who's followed the sport for many years. So let's get real. Thompson twins, give up. James, my money was for nothing, retire now. The Save Coventry Speedway Committee: you're wasting your time along with the local council and our MP, disband now. Oh and Buster, that was a shambles you put on last Thursday, retire now while you're ahead.

I suggest you leave us in splendid ignorance.

Don`t know why you are jumping on jcchapman`s posts as ignorance, if you actually read them he has hit the nail on the head. GB speedway in its current format cannot last much longer. It must be hoped the younger generation of riders remain interested enough to help the sport get back to some kind of reasonable level.

• Like 2

Don`t know why you are jumping on jcchapman`s posts as ignorance, if you actually read them he has hit the nail on the head. GB speedway in its current format cannot last much longer. It must be hoped the younger generation of riders remain interested enough to help the sport get back to some kind of reasonable level.

I never said his posts were ignorance. I said, if you as someone with a good working of the sport can only state the blindingly obvious doom and gloom we are lost indeed. We need a positive approach and suggestions what can be done to turn the corner.

I apologise for opening my mouth.

I never said his posts were ignorance. I said, if you as someone with a good working of the sport can only state the blindingly obvious doom and gloom we are lost indeed. We need a positive approach and suggestions what can be done to turn the corner.

I apologise for opening my mouth.

No need to apologise - but didn't Chapman junior have a positive approach when he was involved at both Lynn and with the shared events. What happened to that positivity?

No need to apologise - but didn't Chapman junior have a positive approach when he was involved at both Lynn and with the shared events. What happened to that positivity?

He got involved in speedway.

Obviously not seen the Olympique held at Wolverhampton.

Isn't the Olympique Meeting held at Wolves a Handicap Meeting? It was during my time therefore a one off format which obviously makes the racing more unpredictable.

Should speedway, therefore, be looking at (re)introducing handicap racing generally if the format encourages passing, unpredictability, and excitement to try and entice new fans thru' the gate?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

He got involved in speedway.

It is easy for those of us who have highlighted the negative aspects of speedway in recent years to be labelled doom and gloom merchants. We have ( collectively ) put forward and continue to put forward positive , constructive ideas which seem to be be unheard by the BSPA or are not considered. Every business - except speedway finds feedback from their customers highly desirable and worth collecting and listening to.

• Like 2

It is easy for those of us who have highlighted the negative aspects of speedway in recent years to be labelled doom and gloom merchants. We have ( collectively ) put forward and continue to put forward positive , constructive ideas which seem to be be unheard by the BSPA or are not considered. Every business - except speedway finds feedback from their customers highly desirable and worth collecting and listening to.

If someone on the 'inside' with some reasonably positive ideas can't persuade the incumbents of the need to change, I feel there's little hope the fans can. That's assuming the fans can even agree on what they want, which judging from this forum is pretty unlikely.

In reality, successful businesses don't really base their decisions on customer feedback. They judge what they think will sell, but respond quickly if things don't work out, and try something else. Speedway shouldn't be any different, but the problem is that it just doesn't have the capitalisation anymore to risk doing something different, even though its current trajectory is towards oblivion.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

The real problem is that the BSPA were finally eager for Buster to become Chairman ( after his years of agitating for change ) because the job is a poisoned chalice, in the sense that no-one can turn the sport around because it has declined too far already. When Buster stands down, as he will, who is there to take over who really has a chance to revise the sport?

I know the financial mechanics of running a team in every single league of British Speedway, and I can assure you that without TV money the quality of rider that teams can afford without wealthy backers is equal to second strings in the championship as heat leaders (or whatever league is set up to replace it).

A few may try to front it out and prove top level speedway can exist without TV money but they will go bust by June or July. In addition to that if Championship and Premiership tried to amalgamate their would be a shortage of what we call second string riders so that means it would again push riders demands up. This years championship reserves could find themselves catapulted to stardom but I am not sure how many fans will come to watch them race.

Overall summary: Pack of Cards

I tend to agree with the thoughts you have but what is strange is that Swindon has just transferred a second rider into the team. Another Premiership team is possibly not going to continue next year.

Why would Swindon be buying "assets"?, maybe go speed know something about 2018.

Edited by A ORLOV

I tend to agree with the thoughts you have but what is strange is that Swindon has just transferred a second rider into the team. Another Premiership team is possibly not going to continue next year.

Why would Swindon be buying "assets"?, maybe go speed know something about 2018.

Because Swindon have a shiny new stadium in someone's garage in Wales just waiting to be bolted together, that's why.

"Liontamer, News at Ten, Cloud Cuckoo Land"

Edited by Liontamer
  • Like 1

Because Swindon have a shiny new stadium in someone's garage in Wales just waiting to be bolted together, that's why.

"Liontamer, News at Ten, Cloud Cuckoo Land"

If it ever appears, but the team are signing prem level riders not championship.