British Speedway Forum
RedcarB123

Redcar V Sheffield Friday

Josh G is just as capable of doing what Richard Lawson did at the STMP tonight. Sheffields' top 3 were head and shoulders above their Redcar rivals.

I have to say. This was one of the most unentertaining meetings, I have seen at Redcar. Virtually every race was over by bend 2. I take nothing away from Sheffield, their top 3 were great, but once the leader got out in the dirt line, it was race over, (unless you make an error of judgement like Garrity). I think the time has come, for the banking to be seriously reduced and hopefully create more racing lines.

Some of you lot really take biscuit sometimes for your selfish/narrow minded comments when other results impact on Glasgow's title quest.

Every team at some time, including your beloved Tigers, has had to use guests under various circumstances.

However it appears that you expect Lawson to decline bookings or deliberately under-perform if called upon by your perceived title rivals.

If every Promotion were allowed to sanction as to which other sides their contracted riders could, or could not guest for, this would be restricting their earning opportunities.

Oh and in case you are unaware, come the Play-offs, riders from the qualifying teams, are not permitted to be used as guests at this stage.

The Lawson guesting for the Tigers of Sheffield has been discussed because it directly involves our club and will have an impact on us as a club , but it is the sport in general that appears to be going down the pan with supporters getting fed up with mickey mouse rules.

In what other sport would this scenario crop up none is the answer but just to reply to some of your points raised.

Taking the Biscuit / Small Narrow minded - You should start looking a little closer to home before accusing anyone else of this. And in case you hadn't noticed a title quest is something we all set out to win at the beginning we are passing comment on a forum that we feel shouldn't have happened.

Earning Potential - Fully understand this but a line must be drawn between money and doing what is right for HIS club , to be honest it is not as if Richard is short of meeting's.

Deliberately ask a rider to underperform - Nobody mentioned or even considered this bar you again look a little closer to home with that one.

And finally yes we are aware of the play off criteria but your pompous attitude shines through yet again.

So on reflection it is the Sport and the silly rules that is the issue and we have highlighted this as another example of how stupid it is.

Got 20 boxes of tissues ready to send up to Glasgow soon with all these comments

Not Sheffield's fault they are doing what is right for them it is the integrity of this sport which is fast going down the tubes with the guest rules . R/R , D/up , D/down that gets sillier every season.

Anyway divert the 20 boxes somewhere not far from us I am sure they will need them before us.

I think he means Lawson rode against Sheffield last night for Workington but tonight.....crazy. That's how it is though but turning people off.

Guests have been allowed in this situation ever since i started going to speedway 50 years ago, so its not this situation that is putting people off.

Our number 1 was injured, not riding elsewhere.

the situation was that RL was at Sheffield last night when it was realised that JG was injured, easy solution ask RL to ride.

Did you expect him not to ride to his full capabilities?

I agree that the situation this season has got totally out of hand and we need to go back to using guests when riders are injured and not riding elsewhere

All the team's use guests, even Glasgow, do i sense a bit of sour grapes. It's a good job we didn't have the full team out. Don't forget Sheffield have won 8 on the trot and Lawson was not riding for us in all those meeting's. I do agree that the situation concerning guest is not good, but what is the alternative, 3 point national league riders or a squad system, would that not put cost up. Are supporters prepared to pay more to cover extra cost. Very difficult. Anyhow Glasgow have the chance to put one over Sheffield on the 20th, in your dreams lol.

i think all of this bickering is getting out of hand.if it had been josh g guesting for rich lawson somewhere then i don't think that the glasgow supporters would be complaining.yes,i do agree that the whole situation regarding doubling up etc is getting out of hand but you know, to be honestly think the tactical rule is fair especially away from home where it at least keeps matches alive and interesting instead of being so one sided.maybe the rule should be kept just for the away team thus negating a little, home track advantage.just a thought.as for guests well like the third man has stated, guests have been around for a very long time and i would rather see the likes of richard lawson standing in for our own josh.g.he is good to watch and puts in the effort.on another note.can we yorkshire tigers now be stopped from topping the pile come the end of the season, barring any further injuries.we have some crucial matches coming up so could be interesting.good luck to the rest playing catch up. ;)

All the team's use guests, even Glasgow, do i sense a bit of sour grapes. It's a good job we didn't have the full team out. Don't forget Sheffield have won 8 on the trot and Lawson was not riding for us in all those meeting's. I do agree that the situation concerning guest is not good, but what is the alternative, 3 point national league riders or a squad system, would that not put cost up. Are supporters prepared to pay more to cover extra cost. Very difficult. Anyhow Glasgow have the chance to put one over Sheffield on the 20th, in your dreams lol.

No sour grapes Sheffield are the form team and deserve any success they get . it is using guests from your main contenders that make the sport look amateurish , as I say no other sport would do this but it is what it is for now.

As for the 20th don't think we will get close this time but you never know.

Edited by Gazc

Sheffield were a class above us last night and fully deserved their win but, yet again, I left the meeting thinking more about some strange decisions made by the referee!

Graveson smashes into the air fence and carries on for over a lap with a hoarding trailing from his back wheel. The referee allows the race to continue and only put on the red light when the bike shed the hoarding on the track!

To make an even bigger mockery of the incident the referee then invites all 4 riders back for the re-run! How the heck wasn't Graveson held responsible for the race being stopped?

Edited by erimus11
  • Like 1

Riders have guested for their main rivals, and assisted them, since guest system introduced!

Maybe Glasgow feel that as they pay Megabucks the riders should be more selective in their guest appearances?

My mistake Glasgow at Sheffield on the 31st of August. It's Edinburgh on the 20th. I better not mix those two teams up.

Sheffield were a class above us last night and fully deserved their win but, yet again, I left the meeting thinking more about some strange decisions made by the referee!

Graveson smashes into the air fence and carries on for over a lap with a hoarding trailing from his back wheel. The referee allows the race to continue and only put on the red light when the bike shed the hoarding on the track!

To make an even bigger mockery of the incident the referee then invites all 4 riders back for the re-run! How the heck wasn't Graveson held responsible for the race being stopped?

I totally agree with this, as a sheffield supporter myself me and my old man couldn't quite understand why Graversen hadn't been excluded for being the cause of the stoppage?

Maybe it took the ref by surprise though because it's not something you see happen every week haha!

• Like 1

I also was very surprised that Jan was not excluded, although from the way he kept looking behind, I'm not actually that sure he knew what it was. Certainly something I've never seen before in nearly 40 years. Maybe he would have been better off retiring from the Heat, given that Tigers were on a 3-3, and Redcar got a 4-2 from the re-run. Having said all that, when he was excluded in Heat 12, many a time I've seen the referee allow all 4 back.

Those two late wins by Josh Bates were absolutely immense and for me, that's what swung it for the Tigers. It was a brilliant result from my point of view as rider replacement yielded only 6 points,and basically there were only 3 Tigers on form!

I have to say. This was one of the most unentertaining meetings, I have seen at Redcar. Virtually every race was over by bend 2. I take nothing away from Sheffield, their top 3 were great, but once the leader got out in the dirt line, it was race over, (unless you make an error of judgement like Garrity). I think the time has come, for the banking to be seriously reduced and hopefully create more racing lines.

I agree most races were well spaced out.

I put the blame totally with Sheffield for the lack of entertainment - both Howarth and Lawson kept gating and then riding too fast! Bates was also too fast, although he did have the decency to miss the gate occasionally! Wood and Graversen (apart from ht 2) were the opposite missed gate and then too slow!

Seriously - deserved win by Sheffield top three were literally too quick for us. Howarth the most impressive rider at Redcar this season, by far!

• Like 5

kyle enjoying his speedway at sheffield and most other tracks in the league at the moment.maybe a g.b call up not very far away(are you listening mr rossiter).seems to have found a new lease of life since his move.

kyle enjoying his speedway at sheffield and most other tracks in the league at the moment.maybe a g.b call up not very far away(are you listening mr rossiter).seems to have found a new lease of life since his move.

I think that Kyle should held up as a shining example to riders how you improve as rider by moving and riding for teams with tracks that you are not particularly comfortable riding, and if you are going to double choose two tracks that are polar opposites, like Wolvehampton and Sheffield.

Its amazing how when Sheffield have rode away this season the praise that has been thrown Kyle's way, the lad has come on bundle since he move to the two clubs, and as well as been a more than capable heatleader in the team is proving to be a very good captain of the team and is very articulate.

• Like 2