British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Dangerous Machines Or Dangerous Tracks.

that's ok then, let's close them all!!!

The tracks are what they are, they can't all be like NSS or bowling balls like Poland and Sweden

And why did the major European riders come to the UK early in their careers. Because they were different, and to learn the skill to ride them.

• Like 1

that's ok then, let's close them all!!!

The tracks are what they are, they can't all be like NSS or bowling balls like Poland and Sweden

Think it is time to modify the machinery.Most other bike sports and Motor Sports have done it succcessfully.I am not a Hancock fan but there is some truth in what he says.
  • Like 1

Mostly the Bikes though.

You are asking Riders to perform on 1928 Tracks, in some cases, on 'Rocket Ships' compared to the Bikes of years ago.

There are far more injuries these days than ever I can remember. Most of them caused by the Bikes.

We need to go back a bit and use Bikes that are more compatible to the Tracks we have today.

Two Valve Uprights could be the answer.

Awaits flak.

I disagree that there are more injuries - certainly there are less serious ones these days, largely due to improved safety measures e.g airfences.

I recall in the 80s most years the final was missing a star rider due to injury eg 84 sigalos 85 carter 86 s moran 89 Jan o

The only career ending (or worse) injuries to top riders that I can think of in recent times is Darcy (and Rico) but go back to 80s/90s I can name countless riders.

I'd say the sport at the top level is increasingly being raced on big tracks and I'd also say the quality of racing at that level is better than it has ever been. You can't tell me that the likes of Darcy Tai Emil Zmarzlick etc are less skilled than their predecessors - different skills perhaps.

So no way are changes going to be made on a global scale to accomodate the fact that the uk has some small/tricky tracks.

And why did the major European riders come to the UK early in their careers. Because they were different, and to learn the skill to ride them.

Don't recall zmarzlick or dudek spending too much time over here. Emil only a short stint. Vaculik never. Pawlicki 1 or was it 2 seasons?

I think the new generation will not necessarily race in britain and I doubt they will struggle as a consequence.

Hancock said it all in SS British track are not up to modern day machinery,but it will fall on deaf ears as usual,fans having being saying the same thing for th last few years.

But it's not just British tracks. How many times do we see riders in GPs lift and veer violently across the track and they are supposedly the best riders in the world.

• Like 1

Agree with what most have said on here. Will never be a fan of the new silencers , they took some of the soul out of the sport. The heavy based clay surface we have on most tracks in Britain is not conducive to todays machines, particularly if we have rain and it becomes deep. Unfortunately not all tracks in Britain are like the new Belle Vue. No chance of anything changing thou with the F.I.M in control. If its ok in Poland then nothing will change

I called a plumber last week because I had a leak. He turned up and used a jack hammer to try and tighten a loose nut that was causing a leak. Unfortunately he broke his arm when he lost control of it and is now complaining I didn't provide him with the right problem. I asked why he didnt just use a spanner to fix the job and he told me, "could you do better".

Surely if you have a job, you use the right tool for the job. Or are speedway riders too thick for that?!

keep saying it, but riders should keep an upright in their armoury for when tracks aren't perfect

I disagree that there are more injuries - certainly there are less serious ones these days, largely due to improved safety measures e.g airfences.

I recall in the 80s most years the final was missing a star rider due to injury eg 84 sigalos 85 carter 86 s moran 89 Jan o

The only career ending (or worse) injuries to top riders that I can think of in recent times is Darcy (and Rico) but go back to 80s/90s I can name countless riders.

I'd say the sport at the top level is increasingly being raced on big tracks and I'd also say the quality of racing at that level is better than it has ever been. You can't tell me that the likes of Darcy Tai Emil Zmarzlick etc are less skilled than their predecessors - different skills perhaps.

So no way are changes going to be made on a global scale to accomodate the fact that the uk has some small/tricky tracks.

Don't recall zmarzlick or dudek spending too much time over here. Emil only a short stint. Vaculik never. Pawlicki 1 or was it 2 seasons?

I think the new generation will not necessarily race in britain and I doubt they will struggle as a consequence.

I agree about the newer generation, as you have said big events are now held on big foreign tracks. But that is only true now, not in the history before that. Wembley being a tight track and high on the list for World Final, attracted many riders to come to the UK for the experience. The yanks always used to come here, and even my favourite Danes, always came here to get more meetings on the small tracks, even though they had some themselves. The UK tracks have been regular training grounds for riders having aspirations to be on the world stage, and competition against like minded riders.

• Like 1

keep saying it, but riders should keep an upright in their armoury for when tracks aren't perfect

Then all riders would be using uprights.

A current engine mounted upright wouldn't work imho.The power characteristics are wrong.

Most engines are short stroke and produce big (up to 75 bhp) power high up the rev range(maybe 11,000 rpm..)

When they hit dirt they take off,upright or not.

I'm no expert but you can soften off the motor but its still a short stroke revving it's nads off.

It's more complicated than sitting your engine upright.

Long stroke,60bhp and lower revving might help on deep/tricky tracks,but no riders gonna try it.

Cost a lot with no guarrentee

Edited by Bald Bloke

Long stroke,60bhp and lower revving might help on deep/tricky tracks,but no riders gonna try it.

I don't mean just mounting one of the high revvers upright, I mean using a lower revving long stroke to allow more control

• Like 1

I don't mean just mounting one of the high revvers upright, I mean using a lower revving long stroke to allow more control

I see ;)

riding a Weslake I found to be consistent, a Godden was much harder to ride.

there must be a lower revving solution to these tracks

There are far more injuries these days than ever I can remember. Most of them caused by the Bikes.

I'd be interested to see stats on this. I don't have a strong feeling either way, but there have always been plenty of nasty injuries in speedway.

I have said it before on here, Untuned Sealed motors from the factory it will stop a lot of silly money being spent and silly power coming out of a fragile motor, Yes as people have said progress things get faster, but Now in BSB they are running basically stock motors, WSB is looking to go the same, Moto GP, have put in restrictions year on year, I cant take about 4 wheel racing as I don't have a clue, Safety has got better because of air fences but then we have gone Backwards in a way with Nylon Suits, Kevlars, not good enough for todays racing not much protection, look at the damage to Crumpies arm, etc,

The White Knight, on 12 Aug 2017 - 3:47 PM, said:snapback.png

Is there or is there far more media coverage so we know, In the 60s/ 70s /80s I could not tell you who was riding in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Italy Poland etc let alone tell you if anyone got hurt.

Are riders doing to many meetings in to many countries getting Fatigue and making mistakes, the whole speedway world is different now to then can you compare.