British Speedway Forum
iainb

Time To Scrap Doubling Up?

Me for one - although it is the amount of meetings riders miss and facilities to cover that is the real issue for me

Is there a big difference this season at Swindon with say 10 or 20 years ago?In all honesty it looks like they have a fairly regular team,with maybe Doyle missing meetings through injury.But that can happen any season

https://www.speedwaygb.co/swindon17

Is there a big difference this season at Swindon with say 10 or 20 years ago?In all honesty it looks like they have a fairly regular team,with maybe Doyle missing meetings through injury.But that can happen any season

https://www.speedwaygb.co/swindon17

To be fair, the Swindon team line-up has been pretty consistent. My issue is more around the numerous select sides that have rolled up pretending to be the away team. Having said that, I do have a fundamental dislike of the concept of any rider having more than one fuĺl-time UK team place - it simply has no place in any sport in my view.

• Like 4

Currently clubs have the option to shop at Tesco, Lidl, Asda, Aldi and Marks and Spencer's - they can look at a multitude of options - if the rule was removed clubs like Belle Vue AND Workington would be fighting to sign Craig Cook they would then have to outbid each other to secure him - that doesn't help the clubs, that helps the rider.

To continue your analogy, it seems to me that clubs are currently at the food bank

• Like 1

The answer is to find out how many riders want to race in Britain next year , if there is enough then doubling up gets scraped , if there isn't enough then we find another solution . Maybe only Brits can double up ?? After all wasn't that what doubling up was originally for

The answer is to find out how many riders want to race in Britain next year , if there is enough then doubling up gets scraped , if there isn't enough then we find another solution . Maybe only Brits can double up ?? After all wasn't that what doubling up was originally for

It was and that's how it should be again if we are forced to have it. With rumours about Poland possibly moving the goalposts again and Sweden considering a league restructure, we might find a number of riders are as yet undecided about next season.

Better fixture planning has to happen because the way British speedway is at this time there is no way that they can stop doubleing up/down.

Looking at the riders involved if they stop it next year.Both leagues need the same riders to fill their team places.

Looking at it from just one point of view and the riders all choose to stay in the top league.That would mean that 25 out of 30 riders at present riding as Champ league heat leaders would be missing next season plus possibly another 10 or so presently riding as Prem league reserves.

I know people will say some will stay in the Prem league but imo the following riders will not.

Cook

S Worrall

R Worrall

R Lambert

King

Holder

Harris

Lawson

Grajzonek

Morris

Masters

Schlein

Plus if push comes to shove a few more will choose the Prem league.

It would cause more money problems for all the clubs as a lot of riders will ride for the clubs that pay the most which I would think in most cases will be Prem league clubs.

Can the Championship survive without all these top riders all being replaced by young Nat league riders.How many of you will stop going if this is the strength of the league ?.

I hate riders missing from meetings as much as the next fan through doubleing up but the way British speedway is at the moment with not only the top overseas riders not wanting to ride over here what choice have our Promoters got.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

Better fixture planning has to happen because the way British speedway is at this time there is no way that they can stop doubleing up/down.

Looking at the riders involved if they stop it next year.Both leagues need the same riders to fill their team places.

Looking at it from just one point of view and the riders all choose to stay in the top league.That would mean that 25 out of 30 riders at present riding as Champ league heat leaders would be missing next season plus possibly another 10 or so presently riding as Prem league reserves.

I know people will say some will stay in the Prem league but imo the following riders will not.

Cook

S Worrall

R Worrall

R Lambert

King

Holder

Harris

Lawson

Grajzonek

Morris

Masters

Schlein

It would cause more money problems for all the clubs as a lot of riders will ride for the clubs that pay the most which I would think in most cases will be Prem league clubs.

Can the Championship survive without all these top riders all being replaced by young Nat league riders.How many of you will stop going if this is the strength of the league ?.

I hate riders missing from meetings as much as the next fan through doubleing up but the way British speedway is at the moment with not only the top overseas riders not wanting to ride over here what choice have our Promoters got.

We all have our own opinions, personally I'd prefer to see an end to doubling up and more places for NL riders and yes I do realise that some of them would struggle.

Cook

S Worrall

R Worrall

R Lambert

King

Holder

Harris

Lawson

Grajzonek

Morris

Masters

Schlein

This.

The product is already at breaking point when it comes to stripping it back and going back to basics as it is.

The standard on show in the Premiership and Championship just now is as low as it can get at current admission prices IMO - any further reduction in quality will have to be met with a widespread reduction in cost which wouldn’t be sustainable or affordable for clubs if more fans were to walk away from the sport, which is the most likely outcome .

I don’t think you would be able to fool those who still attend that it is ok to watch a lot of riders currently plying their trade in the NL. The ideology that fans would just be ok with going from riders like Masters, Cook and Lambert to quite possibly David Mason, Lee Dicken and Benji Compton seems incredibly farfetched to me - even if fans were convinced the replacements were entirely committed to the club they were competing for.

I would also highly doubt the numbers would be made up from the NL anyway, the NL as it stands is quite a regional league where a short term season is financially viable for a lot of the participants – a step up in league for the afore mentioned Dicken, Mason, Compton and riders like Tony Atkin just doesn’t feel plausible to me or the kind of thing some in the NL would entertain – there is a world of difference between the NL schedule and the Championship schedule.

All that being said, these are the kind of things that should actively be asked – asked at meetings.

Would a Glasgow fan for example rather see the side they currently have and pay the prices they do, or see a side where Lawson, Worrall and Bewley were replaced by Dicken, Rudick and Jake Knight yet prices a few £’s less – I would hazard a guess the higher % would favour the Lawson and co side.

It is going to get to a standard that just isn’t worth the fans who do attends effort to attend each week anymore – at this time it is best to pander to their needs rather than those who might return, maybe, one day….

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

This.

The product is already at breaking point when it comes to stripping it back and going back to basics as it is.

The standard on show in the Premiership and Championship just now is as low as it can get at current admission prices IMO - any further reduction in quality will have to be met with a widespread reduction in cost which wouldn’t be sustainable or affordable for clubs if more fans were to walk away from the sport, which is the most likely outcome .

I don’t think you would be able to fool those who still attend that it is ok to watch a lot of riders currently plying their trade in the NL. The ideology that fans would just be ok with going from riders like Masters, Cook and Lambert to quite possibly David Mason, Lee Dicken and Benji Compton seems incredibly farfetched to me - even if fans were convinced the replacements were entirely committed to the club they were competing for.

I would also highly doubt the numbers would be made up from the NL anyway, the NL as it stands is quite a regional league where a short term season is financially viable for a lot of the participants – a step up in league for the afore mentioned Dicken, Mason, Compton and riders like Tony Atkin just doesn’t feel plausible to me or the kind of thing some in the NL would entertain – there is a world of difference between the NL schedule and the Championship schedule.

All that being said, these are the kind of things that should actively be asked – asked at meetings.

Would a Glasgow fan for example rather see the side they currently have and pay the prices they do, or see a side where Lawson, Worrall and Bewley were replaced by Dicken, Rudick and Jake Knight yet prices a few £’s less – I would hazard a guess the higher % would favour the Lawson and co side.

It is going to get to a standard that just isn’t worth the fans who do attends effort to attend each week anymore – at this time it is best to pander to their needs rather than those who might return, maybe, one day….

The question that should be asked is ,would you like to see the same 7 riders in your Team each week ,or does it really matter who rides for which Team each week.would it affect you attending every week.

The question that should be asked is ,would you like to see the same 7 riders in your Team each week ,or does it really matter who rides for which Team each week.would it affect you attending every week.

Why would I want to go and watch a bunch of Riders who don't give a toss if they win for my Team or not?

I would like to see a Team of Riders who are Racing for the Club, and Supporters they represent on a regular basis. In other words - MY TEAM.

• Like 7

Why would I want to go and watch a bunch of Riders who don't give a toss if they win for my Team or not?

I would like to see a Team of Riders who are Racing for the Club, and Supporters they represent on a regular basis. In other words - MY TEAM.

I agree,I'm just pointing out what I would ask,as some fans don't mind according to this forum and that is their opinion which they are entitled too.
  • Like 1

As someone who followed Wimbledon from the times the team included world champions and international stars, to the Conference League days I can only say that I was prepared to pay to watch my team regardless of the league they were in. My team was My team - and I suspect that throughout that time frame were much more stable and likely to have a greater deal of continuity,Not just from week to week but also from year to year. I don't believe I would have enjoyed the current doubling up rules

• Like 1

I agree,I'm just pointing out what I would ask,as some fans don't mind according to this forum and that is their opinion which they are entitled too.

I quite agree ff. It's just not my opinion. :t::)

Weaken the middle tier to 50% top league then more conference riders will have to step up to fill those gaps. Make the conference league an armature league. Allow double ups but with the understanding the higher league will always have priority. That will then make it less attractive to start he season with a high profile rider for the middle tier. And he more professional league will never be compromised .

The problem is the middle tier is too strong. And the third tier has teams who should really be in a higher league.

It used to be the top middle tier ridersmay make a good top league reserve. The 2leagues should have weakened and strengthened as a unit. Instead we now have too many middle tier riders at a top league standard.

If you are of the, slightly paranoid mind-set, that riders don’t give a toss under the current set of rules then it is difficult to think you wouldn’t just apply that same logic to any set of rules as you are questioning the riders mentality rather than a rule. The riders mentality you are questioning isn’t a perception the sporting authorities can change.

What I mean by that is if you feel riders are cheating you now or don’t give a toss, what is to stop you from thinking they would be cheating you in some way under a different set of rules?

As it stands (and would stand regardless of the rules) riders are vicariously wishing a team to win and do well the minute they sign a contract. The more points they score for the side the more money they make, that is the thought process that will always be at the forefront of most riders minds.

If you wish to look for such ways to tarnish rules, riders and the sport then you will find a way to do so – and good for you for doing so but that isn’t the fault of the sports authorities and nor is it that constructive or relevant.

There are many fans who still seem to manage on without the need to attach such shades of black to the sport (even many who are against this particular rule) – question the rules, regulation, and suggest they should change yes that’s a fair minded conversation to have that is healthy even, but to read a post like yours, it just feels a bit like you would find a way to put a negative slant of a situation regardless, difficult to take such a post seriously.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan