British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

British Talent Is Coming Through The Future Looks Good.

in the 60's and 70's we won world team cups world pairs and test matches ,without the influence of foreigners

....and how many have we won in the last 40 years ? The fact is that Polish Speedwáy has got itself organised in that time, especially training wise, and British Speedwáy hasnt. In fact it's gone backwards. It's a different world these days. You also have to factor in that up to the early70's a lot of international events that "we" won were won with the help of certain New Zealanders.

The period when British riders as a national side were dominant in World Speedwáy was actually very short.

• Like 1

....and how many have we won in the last 40 years ? The fact is that Polish Speedwáy has got itself organised in that time, especially training wise, and British Speedwáy hasnt. In fact it's gone backwards. It's a different world these days. You also have to factor in that up to the early70's a lot of international events that "we" won were won with the help of certain New Zealanders.

The period when British riders as a national side were dominant in World Speedwáy was actually very short.

...yes but a glorious period nevertheless.

• Like 1

I think one of the most important issues is how we get Poland (or Sweden) to accept our league is 2nd rate and set averages for our riders as such. Surely that is why several of our riders can't get a meeting over there. I can't imagine with Cookie's sheer bloody-mindedness that he is actively not wanting to ride out there.

personally .I would like to see the end of averages for National League , some sort of restriction is necessary obviously .or cradley heath will be using 7 GP riders , but too many promising kids are sidelined by the numbers game or forced into main tram places before they are ready , and for the same reason some slow burners walk away altogether . .too much pressure on reserves to win matches as well

but oh so sweet , little boy blue taking on the worlds best an beating them ,

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 3

Guest GiveusaB

The problem with speedway imo is the cost for young lads to actually get started!

I bet there's a load of natural talent out there, but simply cant afford it!

The problem with speedway imo is the cost for young lads to actually get started!

I bet there's a load of natural talent out there, but simply cant afford it!

That has always been the case and many a good prospect has quit before achieving their potential because of financial struggles. F2 or any cheaper and simpler engines would help, even though it might be hard on some to change, the eventual savings would make it more worthwhile.

Personally think the cost ain't massive for a youngster starting second hand rolling chassis and a brand new 125 engine for less than £1000 then the safety gear normally less than £300 and away you go . A main problem is track time and the cost of it dependent on where you live a day at the track can be £100 with all the costs added up. Kids need to be riding once a week so £400 a month starts to add up to an expensive sport. Most parents understand this and make huge sacrifices to let the kids follow there dreams . maybe the powers that be could cover the cost of track hire and have kids only days a couple of days a month at various locations

• Like 2

I believe in the next five years will will have some really good Brtish riders coming through and all at the very least will make Championship riders i very much hope so anyway.Jenkins,Bickley,Bowtell,Brennan,Atkins,JPB,Wood,Rowe,Thomas, as examples all have a great chance to progress.And with the likes of Bewley Zak ( Hume/Phillips both bloody unlucky improved no end) Mountain,,Bailey we have quite a nice crop there am i to Enthusiastic??? what are your opinions.

What you don't realise is if these lads get good they will end up with big averages that might make it hard for teams to fit them in so less rides they end up going backwards with no income and lose interest and British speedway is back to square one.

As i said on a previous post, instead of the BSPA wasting money on the GTR's (like I did) invest in some PJR GM's, loan them out to our best young prospects and send them to Poland for a weeks training with Tai.

• Like 1