British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Why do people keep banging on about the the time that JC was at the AFA. He doesn't work there anymore so it's time to move on.

Now all of this I agree with. When JC was getting involved and promoting the Super Seven (think that was the name) as well I had high hopes. It's pretty clear things have gone downhill since.

Thank you, that was a project I was enthused by and enjoyed every moment of it as much as the fans did. I was ahead of the GP's with the riders signings before meetings and the sexy7even grid girls, who in fact IMG asked me to supply for the next two Cardiff GPs (this eventually led to the launch of the monster girls I believe).

Of course the inevitable happened and some green eyed monsters decided they wanted to take it over and receive the glory for it.

Why do people keep banging on about the the time that JC was at the AFA. He doesn't work there anymore so it's time to move on.

So you don't believe the past should be used as a reference?

If not then how would you suggest civilization ever evolves. I have lots of examples where using the past as a reference has improved the world we live in but would I be wasting my time in pointing some of them out to you?

• Like 1

Yeah Mr S1. What did the Romans ever do for us ?

They sure as hell didn't build or surface the A47 ;)

I have nothing against JC . All I am saying is times have changed. Speedway isn't the entertainment that it was years ago. Bikes are to quick, tracks are to slick , and the riders don't care about the fans anymore. The catchment fence around the track at Lynn stopped fans getting near the track so there's no atmosphere anymore.

S1 agree with you re the riders. That changed when Lynn moved up to The Elite or whatever its called this week

So Martin Vaculik confirms he is to race in Britain next season!! The strong rumours are that Kings Lynn are in pole position to sign him rather than the expected Poole??!!

They sure as hell didn't build or surface the A47 ;)

And I have been blaming them all these years for our crap roads.... My apologies to the ROMANS ... They must have been laid before them then..... :o

Your assessment is far too negative.

Group 1 - what do clubs do to reward loyalty? I don't know about KL, but at Swindon there is nothing. Clubs should be working much harder to reward their diehard fans in order to stop them drifting into group 2. Simple things such as attend five meetings and get a pit tour, attend 10 meetings and get to watch a heat from the centre green, attend 20 meetings and get a meet'n'greet with your favourite rider. All things that cost the club NOTHING, except effort. In turn, use your most loyal and diehard fans to actively promote speedway. Set up some kind of referral scheme where fans can introduce newcomers. Gamify it by having leagues tables of the fans who have introduced the most newbies. Get the fans competing against each other. There are plenty of options in this space.

Group 2 - firstly you need to understand why these fans have been lost. I used to be a regular at Swindon, but I've stopped going mainly because the racing is rubbish. Even the meetings I've watch on TV this year have been poor. In my opinion there are two main reasons for this. Firstly the gap in quality between riders is vast. This started with the draft, but unfortunately has got worse. Secondly, the track at Swindon is very poor. However, these are the problems, what are the solutions? Offer fans some kind of incentive to return. Discount entry, hospitality package or something along those lines. I can't remember receiving an email from Swindon in the last two years, so there is plenty of scope to try and win back these lost supporters.

Group 3 - I don't agree with your assessment of "I still feel that anybody, that was interested in bike racing, would take it upon themselves to locate and watch". I've spoken to several people who actively follow other types of bike racing, but have never been to speedway. This is an easy group to target. However, I think there is an even bigger untapped market among the general public. I used to work for the largest employer in Swindon. Out of 6,000 people I knew four of us who went to speedway. Yet I never once saw a single poster, leaflet let alone a staff discount or other type of promotion in any of our offices to try and attract new fans.

​Now, I appreciate there is a huge difference between getting people through the gates once and them returning on a regular basis, but I feel most clubs lack a strategy to address either.

My views are not meant to be negative, merely based on the reality of this present day, mostly at Kings Lynn. Although through the season I do travel to some away venues, I don't go often enough to pass an accurate assessment of how fans are treated. I do talk with those fans and many have axes to grind. You'll be amazed how many are unhappy with the way the sport has gone..

I like your comments about Groups 1, 2, and 3 and feel there is a million ways this sport could be promoted . I used to own a season ticket for many years , but now there is no point spending out big money to save a few quid, Missing just one meeting and you're on a loser, and that not counting the double headers. We the fans are treated like mugs....

I wish I could turn the clock back when speedway was the place to be, 1000's through the gate, the place was heaving, the racing was always exciting, and the meeting lasted all night. We often lost those tight matches, but it didn't matter. It was roll on to next week.

Now we go home early, and feel robbed of the money it cost.... if it wasn't for the memories we wouldn't have much left...,

• Like 2

So Martin Vaculik confirms he is to race in Britain next season!! The strong rumours are that Kings Lynn are in pole position to sign him rather than the expected Poole??!!

I don't wether to feel pleased or sad. If he is coming he won't be cheap, let's hope the risk pays off.

I don't wether to feel pleased or sad. If he is coming he won't be cheap, let's hope the risk pays off.

As a seasoned SGP rider I would imagine he ought be given a 9 average, but what's the betting he'll be given something stupid like a 6 or probably 7 .

That seems to be the aim of most manager's, getting a ringer on a low average, and forgetting all the damage this practice does... :t:

As a seasoned SGP rider I would imagine he ought be given a 9 average, but what's the betting he'll be given something stupid like a 6 or probably 7 .

That seems to be the aim of most manager's, getting a ringer on a low average, and forgetting all the damage this practice does... :t:

If Vaculik is heading Lynn's way and if it will be on a 9,then i'd rather NKI for the same money.Vaculik could end up a 7/8 point rider in his first season,and potenitally an expensive one at that..

If Vaculik is heading Lynn's way and if it will be on a 9,then i'd rather NKI for the same money.Vaculik could end up a 7/8 point rider in his first season,and potenitally an expensive one at that..

Maybe Lynn will be going all out and getting both?

Maybe Lynn will be going all out and getting both

No chance of that unless a big sponsor is found.Even if the money was there it would be wasting it imho....I don't think Vaculik would be a great number one either,and the most expensive 7/8 point rider in the league maybe..

Edited by Bald Bloke

No chance of that unless a big sponsor is found.Even if the money was there it would be wasting it imho....I don't think Vaculik would be a great number one either,and the most expensive 7/8 point rider in the league maybe..

Blimey, A GP rider apparently heading for British racing next season and the only reactions posted are negative ones (and not only by you bald bloke). Whoever he does race for, the promoter deserves credit for not giving up on trying to attempt the best riders possible. That said, other promoters do need to follow suit and need to do so in a manner that is affordable to their club.

• Like 3

Blimey, A GP rider apparently heading for British racing next season and the only reactions posted are negative ones (and not only by you bald bloke). Whoever he does race for, the promoter deserves credit for not giving up on trying to attempt the best riders possible. That said, other promoters do need to follow suit and need to do so in a manner that is affordable to their club.

They can't follow suit.Not enough fans to pay much more than half of the teams wages without sponsors is the problem.Better for teams to cut costs(riders wage bill) than to go all guns blazing and go bust.