British Speedway Forum
archie21

Racing On Set Nights

We don't have the money for Top riders to come here,it's convenient for the ones that are here just now or they would be off.Just look after our own riders.

I MAY be wrong but I thought the idea of set race-nights wasn't necessarily about attracting the "top" riders back to the UK but, if two leagues remain, trying to ensure that there are no fixture clashes between Premiership and Championship sides.

• Like 6

I MAY be wrong but I thought the idea of set race-nights wasn't necessarily about attracting the "top" riders back to the UK but, if two leagues remain, trying to ensure that there are no fixture clashes between Premiership and Championship sides.

I thought that originally (before doubling-up became a disease) it was suggested to allow more riders to compete here as well as overseas, Jason Doyle still seems to see it that way. Whatever the predominant reasons might be, I can't see it providing a full cure for current problems, too many riders are financially out of reach and some clubs might well suffer on the gate from having to switch race nights, there will also be the problem of rain-offs, it isn't unusual for some clubs to have five or six in a season and never manage to rearrange them all, even under the current less restricted set-up.

PLAYING Devil's Advocate for a moment, some promoters are saying that the problem with re-arranging fixtures is because of the number of riders doubling up and therefore if the PL only runs two nights a week with no CL meetings the same day that could be resolved.

Better fixture planning would help to, it seems most years teams are rushing around in August and September to fit meetings in but have no meetings or very few in May and June.

Workington still have to fit at least 2 or 3 meetings in but have not been arranged as far as I know?

Yea that is no doubt that is the main reason ..if it's allows a few good riders to come back all the better .

• Like 3

PLAYING Devil's Advocate for a moment, some promoters are saying that the problem with re-arranging fixtures is because of the number of riders doubling up and therefore if the PL only runs two nights a week with no CL meetings the same day that could be resolved.

That would be right, as long as the clubs that you need aren't already booked up on your (restricted) available dates. The other possibility would be double headers, which I personally don't like and which probably lose money. Doubtless when the announcements are made after the AGM, there will be a mixture of agreement and hole picking.

It's almost certainly going to happen and there will be casualties as some clubs drop down to the NL level, leaving the 12 (?) in the top league. As customers we have no choice, as someone else pointed out, other than to go to matches or not. Same is likely to be the case if Buster Chapman get's his way over guests ( almost anywhere and everywhy ) . We can only "buy" what the BSPA chooses to offer to us - or not.

I would like to ask a possibly contraversial questions here.

How many Tracks are the 'powers that be' prepared to sacrifice in order to bring this new System in.

Speedway Teams currently racing in Greyhound Stadia may find the nights required may not be available to them.

What then?

Close them down?

What about the Supporters?

• Like 1

NOT sure that Mondays and Thursday are too much of a problem for the current PL tracks and would suit Ipswich and Sheffield in that respect. Wolves run on a Monday, Swindon on a Thursday. Belle Vue, Leicester, Rye House, Somerset and King's Lynn all operate within their own stadiums which just means Poole making a change to Thursdays.

I would like to ask a possibly contraversial questions here.

How many Tracks are the 'powers that be' prepared to sacrifice in order to bring this new System in.

Speedway Teams currently racing in Greyhound Stadia may find the nights required may not be available to them.

What then?

Close them down?

What about the Supporters?

I keep asking that but there are as yet no answers as everything is still rumour.

NOT sure that Mondays and Thursday are too much of a problem for the current PL tracks and would suit Ipswich and Sheffield in that respect. Wolves run on a Monday, Swindon on a Thursday. Belle Vue, Leicester, Rye House, Somerset and King's Lynn all operate within their own stadiums which just means Poole making a change to Thursdays.

Oh!!! That's OK then - what about the rest of the Championship?

• Like 1

PERHAPS an exception could be made for Redcar to continue on a Thursday.

Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday would be available to CL tracks. Are there any that don't race on those days?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

PERHAPS an exception could be made for Redcar to continue on a Thursday.

Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday would be available to CL tracks. Are there any that don't race on those days?

Assuming there will still be a CL.

• Like 1

Assuming there will still be a CL.

I HAVE no more idea than anyone else but some of the people involved in the decision making seem to suggest that there simply isn't enough riders to go round in an amalgamated league.

They seem to favour two leagues, two tracks going the PL, two NL moving into the CL and doubling up, sadly, to continue.