British Speedway Forum
archie21

Racing On Set Nights

After reading two articles in this weeks Speedway Star Jason Doyle says there has been talk of the Premiership Clubs racing on a Monday and Thursday. Rob Godfrey believes that fixed race days will happen and that the Championship Clubs should stay away from these two days and by doing so riders doubling up to the premiership league would work. So if Mondays and Thursday are used in the Premiership League as it stands as of today One team race Mondays and One on Thursdays, with Three other teams having Monday or Thursdays as there second night, leaving Three teams without a declared race night. Would these teams have to go to the local council to request a change of nights if the landlords of the venues can fit in a change? Then theirs the Championship League Three teams race on a Thursday but only one having Monday as their second night and rents the ground from a landlord. I don't think that they will be allowed to change because of the stadiums use. IMO something does need to be done with having set race nights BUT PLEASE PLEASE don't make it so teams must apply to any council for a change of race night as it only takes one person to object as happened in Hull ( Craven Park ) with the Air Horns getting banned. The person worked in the council building and knew who to get on side when they where discussed at a council meeting hence the ban!!

After reading two articles in this weeks Speedway Star Jason Doyle says there has been talk of the Premiership Clubs racing on a Monday and Thursday. Rob Godfrey believes that fixed race days will happen and that the Championship Clubs should stay away from these two days and by doing so riders doubling up to the premiership league would work. So if Mondays and Thursday are used in the Premiership League as it stands as of today One team race Mondays and One on Thursdays, with Three other teams having Monday or Thursdays as there second night, leaving Three teams without a declared race night. Would these teams have to go to the local council to request a change of nights if the landlords of the venues can fit in a change? Then theirs the Championship League Three teams race on a Thursday but only one having Monday as their second night and rents the ground from a landlord. I don't think that they will be allowed to change because of the stadiums use. IMO something does need to be done with having set race nights BUT PLEASE PLEASE don't make it so teams must apply to any council for a change of race night as it only takes one person to object as happened in Hull ( Craven Park ) with the Air Horns getting banned. The person worked in the council building and knew who to get on side when they where discussed at a council meeting hence the ban!!

You could race Monday AND Thursday if your stadium is available, I don't think it has to be one or the other. If a team has a handful of rain-offs it'll start to get tricky. You are quite right about it getting awkward for some, what with stadium access and the fact that some Thursday clubs may not want to be in the premiership and are in effect being forced to change their race night.

You could race Monday AND Thursday if your stadium is available, I don't think it has to be one or the other. If a team has a handful of rain-offs it'll start to get tricky. You are quite right about it getting awkward for some, what with stadium access and the fact that some Thursday clubs may not want to be in the premiership and are in effect being forced to change their race night.

YOUR last comment is the most problematic

Ipswich have often stated that a return to the top flight is the long term plan

Stadium use for the Witches is only limited by stock car dates which are always Saturdays and the odd Bank Holiday Monday

So if the promotion felt the time was right a move to the Prem is no problem and equally a change of race night to stay in the Championship is perfectly possible

Personally I wouldn't mind a complete re-shuffling of race nights for UK, Swe and DK.

I have no absolutely no idea if this would work for the UK tracks but anyway what I would like to see (but very likely will never happen) is

1. Mondays UK
  2. Tuedays UK
  3. Wednesdays Sweden Elitserien
  4. Thursdays Denmark and Swedish Allsvenskan
  5. Fridays Denmark and Poland do have some of the meetings on Fridays
  6. Saturdays SGP/SEC/U21 WCH and etc (could also use a reserve days when no championships are held)
  7. Sundays Poland

This might not be possible but I feel it would be more efficient with less travel or riders who ride in several of the leagues which also would means less travel expenses for teams/clubs,
Riders who ride in both UK and Sweden would also have a little more time for rest since they wouldn't have to do UK-Sweden-UK/Denmark-Sweden/Poland/Denmark.

Instead it would be: UK->Sweden->Denmark/Poland/UK/stay in Sweden. I don't know if it makes a big difference in the end though.

Stadium use for the Witches is only limited by stock car dates which are always Saturdays and the odd Bank Holiday Monday

So if the promotion felt the time was right a move to the Prem is no problem and equally a change of race night to stay in the Championship is perfectly possible

And Redcar and Sheffield?

• Like 1

Will leave it to fans of those clubs to outline the options for them

I can only state the flexibility I would expect Ipswich have if required

You beat me to it ff. :t:

• Like 1

If they are lucky enough to win promotion this season that is

If they are lucky enough to win promotion this season that is

Lucky as in "Can we move up please?". The "please" is optional.
  • Like 2

Lynn v Ippo in the old British League.Those were the days :t:

• Like 1

Lynn v Ippo in the old British League.Those were the days :t:

You also need the riders who care about their Team.

How many riders ,want these changes ?. and how many others does it actually affect , I look forward to next season I'm planning to support whichever team Emil Sajfutdinov chooses to ride for , and of course because of the increased admission I'll have to pick and choose which meetings i go to and which GP stars I really want to see , there's 16 top riders at least ,the 16 GP riders so assuming there's 8 premiership teams that's 2 for each brilliant , only five places left to fill with riders who only want to ride once a fortnight ,, can't wait

So you do all this and then what happens if these TOP riders decide not to come back ,on the Doyle thread he is moaning about the state of tracks in this country .Make no mistake which ever riders you are dealing with MONEY is the most important element of the whole negotiation every time ,which is quite right as they are self employed guns for hire to the highest bidder !!!!