British Speedway Forum
archie21

Racing On Set Nights

I HAVE no more idea than anyone else but some of the people involved in the decision making seem to suggest that there simply isn't enough riders to go round in an amalgamated league.

They seem to favour two leagues, two tracks going the PL, two NL moving into the CL and doubling up, sadly, to continue.

There are currently enough senior pro riders registered to have 30 x 8-rider squads. As a well-known Sylvia undata often says, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

I HAVE no more idea than anyone else but some of the people involved in the decision making seem to suggest that there simply isn't enough riders to go round in an amalgamated league.

They seem to favour two leagues, two tracks going the PL, two NL moving into the CL and doubling up, sadly, to continue.

............... and what if no National League Team wishes to move up to the Championship League.

"Oh - that's all right just let the Championship run with two less Clubs - who cares"? Is what they will probably say.

The Supporters of that League may think differently, as I do myself.

Why is it that whenever the Top League run in to trouble, they are quite prepared to wreck the League below so that their status is maintained.

I have been around a long time - and this has happened before.

There are currently enough senior pro riders registered to have 30 x 8-rider squads. As a well-known Sylvia undata often says, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.

TRY making up 18 teams with no doubling up from those currently riding for PL and CL teams

If set race nights can be found to work in the British League, both top divisions, then great but just can't see it happening to the much varied stadium availability....

If set race nights can be found to work in the British League, both top divisions, then great but just can't see it happening to the much varied stadium availability....

HAVE you read posts 25 and 28?

............... and what if no National League Team wishes to move up to the Championship League.

"Oh - that's all right just let the Championship run with two less Clubs - who cares"? Is what they will probably say.

The Supporters of that League may think differently, as I do myself.

Why is it that whenever the Top League run in to trouble, they are quite prepared to wreck the League below so that their status is maintained.

I have been around a long time - and this has happened before.

WHAT if two NL teams felt they could operate in the Championship?

HAVE you read posts 25 and 28?

WHAT if two NL teams felt they could operate in the Championship?

That would be fine as long as they were brought up to Championship strength. I would not like to think of a Team coming in to the Championship too weak to survive and then closed down.

The Promoters Association would need to help them - possibly financially - how would they feel about that?

TRY making up 18 teams with no doubling up from those currently riding for PL and CL teams

As I hinted in my previous post, it can be done, but without an open minded approach it's a non-starter. If the 1st division want all the best riders and the 2nd division want nearly all the best riders then forget it. I've got 3 hours to spare before the WEC race in Mexico starts so I'll work on the idea.

How many riders ,want these changes ?. and how many others does it actually affect , I look forward to next season I'm planning to support whichever team Emil Sajfutdinov chooses to ride for , and of course because of the increased admission I'll have to pick and choose which meetings i go to and which GP stars I really want to see , there's 16 top riders at least ,the 16 GP riders so assuming there's 8 premiership teams that's 2 for each brilliant , only five places left to fill with riders who only want to ride once a fortnight ,, can't wait

surely it would just be once a week, unless doubling up, home one week away t'other

NOT sure that Mondays and Thursday are too much of a problem for the current PL tracks and would suit Ipswich and Sheffield in that respect. Wolves run on a Monday, Swindon on a Thursday. Belle Vue, Leicester, Rye House, Somerset and King's Lynn all operate within their own stadiums which just means Poole making a change to Thursdays.

I understand that some clubs have there own stadiums but taking Somerset as an example, they race night is Friday and a second been Wednesday both with a cut off time. I believe this cut off time was given to the club from the local council as part of the planning agreement. If this the case then a change of night will be a change of usage and then further planning consent will be required. We all know how some councils "just love speedway" and would use any way to put all sorts of restrictions on the local club. As I said in my first post please don't put clubs in a position where they have to go to the local council. ( I have used Somerset as an example only because of their race nights and nothing more as I hope that they have a good relationship with the local council )
  • Like 5

Would this new 10 team Premiership be riding once at home and once away? Can't see a 9 meeting home season going down well but on the other hand the big guns that are supposedly wanting to ride over here always say they don't want too many meetings here. If the big guns do come back it will buck the trend which the BSPA seems to have established over the past few seasons of bringing the leagues closer together.

Would this new 10 team Premiership be riding once at home and once away? Can't see a 9 meeting home season going down well but on the other hand the big guns that are supposedly wanting to ride over here always say they don't want too many meetings here. If the big guns do come back it will buck the trend which the BSPA seems to have established over the past few seasons of bringing the leagues closer together.

TWO home and away ... tracks want more fixtures.

I understand that some clubs have there own stadiums but taking Somerset as an example, they race night is Friday and a second been Wednesday both with a cut off time. I believe this cut off time was given to the club from the local council as part of the planning agreement. If this the case then a change of night will be a change of usage and then further planning consent will be required. We all know how some councils "just love speedway" and would use any way to put all sorts of restrictions on the local club. As I said in my first post please don't put clubs in a position where they have to go to the local council. ( I have used Somerset as an example only because of their race nights and nothing more as I hope that they have a good relationship with the local council )

You raise some good points and it certainly isn't as simple as just saying "right everyone, next year it's Mondays and Thursdays," hopefully the promoters have been prepared for this already, otherwise it might be riddled with snags for some.

Not sure how the nights work out, but what about 1 league, split north and south with unlimited doubling up.

Only spoiler is that it would be nice to have the playoffs between the geographical areas. Could end up with the same 7 riders riding for each team in the final.

Looking at this from a purely Redcar point of view it would be interesting to see what happens. Kev Keay has worked miracles this season. He earlier stated crowds were up 20% - and I would not be surprised to see this be even higher as crowds to the naked eye have seemed to continue to rise.

We have used Friday as our off night for when Sheffield visit - home fans numbers definitely decline on a Friday night although Sheffield always bring a good support which helps balance that out. Cant see every team bringing that on a Friday to top the numbers up.

And i can't see Redcar opting to move up to continue riding on a Thursday - we still have one of the smallest budgets in the CL and live within our means. I dare say a choice of moving racenight or one big league I would favour one big league.

Looking at this from a purely Redcar point of view it would be interesting to see what happens. Kev Keay has worked miracles this season. He earlier stated crowds were up 20% - and I would not be surprised to see this be even higher as crowds to the naked eye have seemed to continue to rise.

We have used Friday as our off night for when Sheffield visit - home fans numbers definitely decline on a Friday night although Sheffield always bring a good support which helps balance that out. Cant see every team bringing that on a Friday to top the numbers up.

And i can't see Redcar opting to move up to continue riding on a Thursday - we still have one of the smallest budgets in the CL and live within our means. I dare say a choice of moving racenight or one big league I would favour one big league.

In theory, Friday should be more accessible than Thursday due to the majority of people not having to go to work/school the following day. Do you think the declines compared to Thursdays is purely habit or are there other reasons?