British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

Middleditch says that BWD turned up expecting to race and even spoke to the gate staff at the track. He also said that he'd heard Kyle had been booked a week in advance. Kyle said he thought BWD had his bikes there too "just in case", despite also saying that Kyle had been warned to prepare for the meeting weeks back.

Rosco joining the Matt Ford school of tactics.

BWD brought his bikes because Poole were making noises about protesting. He was told to bring them just in case he had to ride against medical advice, in order for Swindon to track 7 riders should Newman not be allowed to ride. This has been clarified by the Swindon management, so I don't see why people are sneaking this information out as some sort of amazing piece of inside information.

What's the big deal with Newman being booked weeks back? Wilson-Dean had an injury week back, so they needed to cover their bases if he wasn't fit.

• Like 7

BWD brought his bikes because Poole were making noises about protesting. He was told to bring them just in case he had to ride against medical advice, in order for Swindon to track 7 riders should Newman not be allowed to ride. This has been clarified by the Swindon management, so I don't see why people are sneaking this information out as some sort of amazing piece of inside information.

What's the big deal with Newman being booked weeks back? Wilson-Dean had an injury week back, so they needed to cover their bases if he wasn't fit.

Hello Swindon Shovlar :t:

Middleditch says that BWD turned up expecting to race and even spoke to the gate staff at the track. He also said that he'd heard Kyle had been booked a week in advance. Kyle said he thought BWD had his bikes there too "just in case", despite also saying that Kyle had been warned to prepare for the meeting weeks back.

:rofl:

Hello Swindon Shovlar :t:

Hello Gater2. :t:

• Like 5

No its called being sensible.

BWD had mentioned through the day he wasnt riding.

Poole pathetically were going to protest but did the sensible thing and didnt.

BWD brought his bikes in case they did.

Rosco booked Newman over a week ago..............thats clever management not underhand.

And what was up with the crowd on Monday? Never seen such a low crowd at Poole for an important meeting. Is this due to speedway in general or Poole fans knowing they werent going to win and not going like they usually do?

On the plus side the track looked better and was a good meeting

Swindon's crowd over the past month, month & a half have been very good, you can generally tell by the banks being busy. I would have a guess that the bank holiday meeting has 2.5 - 3k there.

I would also guess that the Thursday meetings prior to &

After that we're near 2k. Considering we had 4 meetings at home in a 10 day spell that's not bad.

Was chatting to a sponsor he was saying around 9000 attended on those 4 dates. Would have probably been half that if Swindon had not have been top, looking at some of those sparse crowds in April May June.

Can remember Patch saying in 2012 there was more for the league match against Poole than the Grand Final that had just 2700 there. It was crap weather though.

Poole used to bring a reasonable number to Blunsdon but never seen so few last time. A downward trend throughout league speedway unfortunately.

Edited by beefy keefy

Poole crowds at the start of the season especially Easter were up to expected levels, despite the issues over the abandoned Darcy Ward meeting. However the Kyle Newman episode and the underperforming Number 1 certainly affected attendances after that.

Also of course, like most clubs having no fixtures for a month or so made things worse. Since the run of home defeats the attendances have certainly diminished which in my eyes supports the notion that fans will turn out when they have a successful winning team - which by any stretch of anyone's imagination, Poole have not been this season.

With that backdrop I actually thought the crowd wasn't too bad for a semi-final on an off-night, that most people thought Poole were lucky to be in (which they were) and were unlikely to win (which they didn't)!!

ps. Incidentally the article/interview in today's Echo with Kyle Newman explains that the discussion or dispute over Kyle riding was to do with the loan paperwork between Poole and Leicester, which was sorted out at the 11th hour, but not before BWD was told to get down to Poole in case he had to ride. That explains why he turned up late and told the Pits gate steward that he was riding despite not being on the rider list!!!

Not sure if Kyle has been booked for the 25th yet, although I guess Poole may wish to use their asset if Starkey were to get injured??! ;-)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 5

Poole crowds at the start of the season especially Easter were up to expected levels, despite the issues over the abandoned Darcy Ward meeting. However the Kyle Newman episode and the underperforming Number 1 certainly affected attendances after that.

Also of course, like most clubs having no fixtures for a month or so made things worse. Since the run of home defeats the attendances have certainly diminished which in my eyes supports the notion that fans will turn out when they have a successful winning team - which by any stretch of anyone's imagination, Poole have not been this season.

With that backdrop I actually thought the crowd wasn't too bad for a semi-final on an off-night, that most people thought Poole were lucky to be in (which they were) and were unlikely to win (which they didn't)!!

Good response

As some may know I am not a Poole can do no wrong supporter and have criticised Matt Ford for some dodgy moves but what if Poole had claimed Starke had a minor injury or was ill and was to be replaced by Newman, how would people have reacted then? It may have been a genuine injury but no one would have believed it, especially when Starke has not been in form of late although he was certainly back to form Monday.

Think you have hit the nail on the head. Continuity is important although fill in meetings aren't popular. I know Bournemouth Buccaneers wasn't well attended but it did provide the additional meetings, BV & KL manage to run Junior sides.

If there are 12 clubs in the Premier next season, if there is one, that gives 22 home fixtures + KO Cup if continued. If season started 1st April & ended 30 Sept, I think that covers 30 weeks, still 8 weeks short of weekly racing. I don't know a solution but weekly racing worked OK in the 70's , 80's & 90's. Fixed night racing, e.g. Mon & Thurs may attract some of the top riders back, especially as rumours are some of the Swedish clubs have struggled again this season.

As some may know I am not a Poole can do no wrong supporter and have criticised Matt Ford for some dodgy moves but what if Poole had claimed Starke had a minor injury or was ill and was to be replaced by Newman, how would people have reacted then? It may have been a genuine injury but no one would have believed it, especially when Starke has not been in form of late although he was certainly back to form Monday.

I think the outrage would have been just as bad.

However if someone is riding with an injury it's a bit difficult to prove for or against if he is fit enough to ride or not.

I hope you never wear a Poole race suit ever again.

good because we all hope he stays a Witch in the future.
  • Like 3

Glad to see a neutral give a summary. The same as you I logged on to expect high praise for a brilliant meeting on a superb race track. But the anti Poole brigade were out in force and couldn't admit that Wimborne Road is one of the best race tracks in the country, as was shown last night.

Absolutely. Best league meeting on Tv this season by the proverbial mile.

There has been no blue groove at Wimborne Road for years.

Steve it doesn't matter what you say, the anti poole brigade will always pick holes in it mate.

So you mean guesting for the rider that replaced him? That doesn't sit very well with me because if you drop a rider, how can it be fair to bring him back into the team - even as a guest!

• Like 3

Think you have hit the nail on the head. Continuity is important although fill in meetings aren't popular. I know Bournemouth Buccaneers wasn't well attended but it did provide the additional meetings, BV & KL manage to run Junior sides.

And it did produce several riders who now ride in the premiership.