British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Edinburgh 16/09/17 7:00pm Champ

Dont blame the fans trees.

You need a product to support if the people in command don't provide a entertaining product then you can't blame the fans.

I agree completely but where Workington is concerned that is simply not true.

The Comets have a decent team, a fine racing track and a good promotion who have tried hard to bring success on and off track to the club.

They deserve better and as far as I am concerned staying away because Sarjeant is part of the team is nothing more than a cheap excuse not to go.

• Like 7

H.T. i think you will find that the people who post on here ARE the true supporters and will continue to attend all of workingtons fixtures at home .

the product needs a good shake up and the high class promoters need to look below to the lower leagues to see just where their teams come from ..

if no one says anything about a product , they cant improve it for the following year . its all about feedback , good or bad .

I agree completely but where Workington is concerned that is simply not true.

The Comets have a decent team, a fine racing track and a good promotion who have tried hard to bring success on and off track to the club.

They deserve better and as far as I am concerned staying away because Sarjeant is part of the team is nothing more than a cheap excuse not to go.

i agree weve had some really good racing this year and i backed the promotion big time early in season but as things were going bad they have dug deep and refused to listen to what the fans wanted

also entertainment is more than just the 15 1 minute races its a overall product

the promotion feel they are better than the fans and the fans dont deserve any info passed onto them thats my biggest gripe

the promotion are having a gow at the fans any chance they get

they even had a go at the fans who went to belle vue saturday for the riders championship

i understand they want and need as many through the gates as they can get but to have a go at someone for choosing to spend there money else where well thats just below the belt

maybe steve whitehead should start spennding his own money on workington speedway rather than fancy cars and holidays and women

as for myself I and only myself decides where i spend my hard earned money no promotor of a sport or buisness has the right to tell me where my money goes

and i decided to go to workington saturday even though i had 2 offers to travel with others to manchester

• Like 1

i think even the start girls went to belle vue , didnt they ?

no one can tell you where to spend your cash . mines a toss up between private/mayfair or the speedway .

the speedway wins every time !

i think even the start girls went to belle vue , didnt they ?

no one can tell you where to spend your cash . mines a toss up between private/mayfair or the speedway .

the speedway wins every time !

there was no rider 13 out on the bike saturday either

maybe he had a blow out rather than going elsewhere

Cookie is a Cumbrian bloke, of course the fans want to support him, he's one of their own. It's a shame that the Workington mtg wasn't changed to accommodate the PRC?

The Cumbrian fans don't seem to have taken Cookie to their hearts like they did Stoney, why is that?

Cookie is a Cumbrian bloke, of course the fans want to support him, he's one of their own. It's a shame that the Workington mtg wasn't changed to accommodate the PRC?

The Cumbrian fans don't seem to have taken Cookie to their hearts like they did Stoney, why is that?

Stoney was a one off, Mr Workington Speedway, 100% racer, GP's one night, DP the next and still gave it everything, charismatic and the fans favourite because he gave his all to the club and that's what the fans wanted and respected, top bloke off the track as well!! :t:

Cookie however has joined the club after many years away, successful years away I might add, and at a time when Workington are on a right downer? He was very much a crowd favourite while learning his trade here many years ago but once he was ousted, for whatever reason, people seemed to lose touch with his career because he wasn't here anymore?

Not the same character as Stoney, has a winning mentality but thesedays that is now being directed at a more personal level which is totally understandable being as the management gave up on the season half way through so, why bother trying, his future is elsewhere and always was, joining the Comets was a last chance to get a trophy on the CV with his home town club before moving on and that hasn't happened?

Many fans whom watched Craig during the early days are, like many others, lost to the club now so his ability is not recognized as much as Stoney's was, a great shame for a very capable rider, one of the best local's, if not the best, we've ever produced.

If things had been better at the club then maybe Craig would have gotten closer to Stoney's iconic status but, two completely different riders racing in two completely different era's, if only? ;)

• Like 3

Stoney was a one off, Mr Workington Speedway, 100% racer, GP's one night, DP the next and still gave it everything, charismatic and the fans favourite because he gave his all to the club and that's what the fans wanted and respected, top bloke off the track as well!! :t:

Cookie however has joined the club after many years away, successful years away I might add, and at a time when Workington are on a right downer? He was very much a crowd favourite while learning his trade here many years ago but once he was ousted, for whatever reason, people seemed to lose touch with his career because he wasn't here anymore?

Not the same character as Stoney, has a winning mentality but thesedays that is now being directed at a more personal level which is totally understandable being as the management gave up on the season half way through so, why bother trying, his future is elsewhere and always was, joining the Comets was a last chance to get a trophy on the CV with his home town club before moving on and that hasn't happened?

Many fans whom watched Craig during the early days are, like many others, lost to the club now so his ability is not recognized as much as Stoney's was, a great shame for a very capable rider, one of the best local's, if not the best, we've ever produced.

If things had been better at the club then maybe Craig would have gotten closer to Stoney's iconic status but, two completely different riders racing in two completely different era's, if only? ;)

What you describe about stoney is how Monarchs fans feel about cookie absolute legend and I can't wait to see him in the GPs.

Hopefully Workington can get over this hurdle and get a brighter future. Getting more fans through the door is a challenge for every club and we wouldn't want to see you go

• Like 3

Absolutely bang on our noble Lord Edited by gregory peck
  • Like 2

things are different thease days

speedway had been lost to the town for a good few years when it came back in 1999 stoney was a big star at the time and crowds were very good

stoney was is still a party man and the drinkers looved to buy and have a drink with carl

times are also different no speedway is more expensive to get in and the cost of living is a lot higher and harder to make ends meet also lots of other things to entertain rather than speedway so a speedway start is not such a big thing around here nowadays

What you describe about stoney is how Monarchs fans feel about cookie absolute legend and I can't wait to see him in the GPs.

Hopefully Workington can get over this hurdle and get a brighter future. Getting more fans through the door is a challenge for every club and we wouldn't want to see you go

nice words from a fan away from workington some are backing us at the moment but others are using our low/bad period and the james sajent affair to really kick us while were down and twist the knife

• Like 2

i agree weve had some really good racing this year and i backed the promotion big time early in season but as things were going bad they have dug deep and refused to listen to what the fans wanted

also entertainment is more than just the 15 1 minute races its a overall product

the promotion feel they are better than the fans and the fans dont deserve any info passed onto them thats my biggest gripe

the promotion are having a gow at the fans any chance they get

they even had a go at the fans who went to belle vue saturday for the riders championship

i understand they want and need as many through the gates as they can get but to have a go at someone for choosing to spend there money else where well thats just below the belt

maybe steve whitehead should start spennding his own money on workington speedway rather than fancy cars and holidays and women

as for myself I and only myself decides where i spend my hard earned money no promotor of a sport or buisness has the right to tell me where my money goes

and i decided to go to workington saturday even though i had 2 offers to travel with others to Manchester

I don't think anyone doubts your commitment to Workington Speedway. Indeed, I'd say you are precisely the right type of fan - someone who can be critical but remains loyal anyway.

I'd reiterate though - Workington have a good team, a good track and good presentation. That's most of what people want from speedway.

I also reiterate that I think the promotion deserve better than they are getting. I get taken up to Derwent Park but it still sets me back £50 a time, and I wouldn't do that if the speedway were rubbish.

I don't think what Hoggy said did have a pop at anyone who wasn't there but was more about thanking those who were.

As to where you spend your money I can't argue with that. But Laura made it absolutely clear that the attendances just aren't big enough and that she needs everyone to come to give her some sort of indication that she could run in 2018. At the very point she needed the help and support of Workington fans more than ever, some decided to go elsewhere.

I'll let you decide how she felt about that.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

moaning worky fans on here , still go and pay the price for the product.

its the stay away fans we need to drag back .

long breaks in the summer did not help . the fans that go are only making a statement and STILL paying their way .

• Like 1

moaning worky fans on here , still go and pay the price for the product.its the stay away fans we need to drag back .long breaks in the summer did not help . the fans that go are only making a statement and STILL paying their way .

I think the stupid fixture list caused a lot more trouble than most Promoters thought it would,you need you your speedway every week during the season.It just got worst over the last few seasons.
  • Like 5

I think the stupid fixture list caused a lot more trouble than most Promoters thought it would,you need you your speedway every week during the season.It just got worst over the last few seasons.

strangly enough edinbrugh dont seam to have 4 week gaps with no speedway

• Like 1