British Speedway Forum

I must stop calling him Glenn Doyle....

So I'm not the only one.

No really on subject but I didnt want to start a new topic but I would like to see at least one random drug test done in every match next season

I would like it done @ all Promoters meetings, the AGM in particular!

• Like 1

Loaned out so will only play for that club then..

Not true. My club CCFC had a player on loan who also played for his parent club reserves..

But not in the same week

It does happen!

I see its the annual jolly up at parliament to celebrate the continual and growing failure of British speedway , apart from a couple of NL teams what us there to celebrate ? it is a big waste of time and money , even some of the members think its a waste , one promoter told me last week they waste lots of money on it that could be better spent elsewhere like contributing to an independent body to run the sport , every time I see this jolly up I just feel like we the fans are being kicked in the teeth and laughed at behind our back 😡

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

I see its the annual jolly up at parliament to celebrate the continual and growing failure of British speedway , apart from a couple of NL teams what us there to celebrate ? it is a big waste of time and money , even some of the members think its a waste , one promoter told me last week they waste lots of money on it that could be better spent elsewhere like contributing to an independent body to run the sport , every time I see this jolly up I just feel like we the fans are being kicked in the teeth and laughed at behind our back

I thought that was when we paid our bucket load of cash to go through the turnstiles.

Cutting cloth springs to mind. :sad::sad::sad:

• Like 1

I see its the annual jolly up at parliament to celebrate the continual and growing failure of British speedway , apart from a couple of NL teams what us there to celebrate ? it is a big waste of time and money , even some of the members think its a waste , one promoter told me last week they waste lots of money on it that could be better spent elsewhere like contributing to an independent body to run the sport , every time I see this jolly up I just feel like we the fans are being kicked in the teeth and laughed at behind our back

Emperor's new clothes springs to mind.

On the other hand this arrangement has maintained the interest of the Members of Parliament for Swindon, Coventry, Oxford and in particular Belle Vue when they were making all their plans for the NSS. Too many accuse the BSPA of doing nothing to support ailing clubs yet when they encouraged the likes of Gerald Kaufman to get involved there wasn't a hint of acknowledgement to or expectation from the BSPA. Nick Brown is pro Speedway and has organised dialogue with many civil bodies to further the development of the sport. This committee questioned the Minister for Immigration to identify opportunities and "clarify" some of the actions of UKVI. The benefits go on, it's more than PR and the cost is little more than a stand at an exhibition like the NEC it raises the profile of the sport in the heart of government at a time when we need every ally we can get. There is a much bigger picture and the bar closes at 7.30 pm, the drinks are simply hospitable with no opportunity for excesses, with travel and security for just 2 hours on the ground it is far from a jolly.

• Like 4

On the other hand this arrangement has maintained the interest of the Members of Parliament for Swindon, Coventry, Oxford and in particular Belle Vue when they were making all their plans for the NSS. Too many accuse the BSPA of doing nothing to support ailing clubs yet when they encouraged the likes of Gerald Kaufman to get involved there wasn't a hint of acknowledgement to or expectation from the BSPA. Nick Brown is pro Speedway and has organised dialogue with many civil bodies to further the development of the sport. This committee questioned the Minister for Immigration to identify opportunities and "clarify" some of the actions of UKVI. The benefits go on, it's more than PR and the cost is little more than a stand at an exhibition like the NEC it raises the profile of the sport in the heart of government at a time when we need every ally we can get. There is a much bigger picture and the bar closes at 7.30 pm, the drinks are simply hospitable with no opportunity for excesses, with travel and security for just 2 hours on the ground it is far from a jolly.

the jolly and a considerable waste of money was one of the bspa members description not mine although thats what it is , is nick brown going to form the independent body to save the sport from oblivion ? If not who cares ,low level politicians are in politics for one reason , themselves ,quite frankly the bspa should be locked in ACU house and not let out until they can form some sort of plan for the future of the sport , you can try to justify this jolly up all you like but its costs could be better used elsewhere

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

the jolly and a considerable waste of money was one of the bspa members description not mine although thats what it is , is nick brown or Gerald Kaufman going to form the independent body to save the sport from oblivion ? If not who cares ,low level politicians are in politics for one reason , themselves ,quite frankly the bspa should be locked in ACU house and not let out until they can form some sort of plan for the future of the sport , you can try to justify this jolly up all you like but its costs could be better used elsewhere

I don't disagree with your sentiments but it is most definitely not a waste of money, there are plenty of other issues to address of course but this one has it's place and the lack of focus on other elements is clearly understood but please don't belittle the genuine achievements that this initiative has. Most of your points have merit but trashing those that are helping the sport doesn't do justice to those who have/need that help. The money that would be saved is less than most clubs lose in 1 home meeting.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with your sentiments but it is most definitely not a waste of money, there are plenty of other issues to address of course but this one has it's place and the lack of focus on other elements is clearly understood but please don't belittle the genuine achievements that this initiative has. Most of your points have merit but trashing those that are helping the sport doesn't do justice to those who have/need that help. The money that would be saved is less than most clubs lose in 1 home meeting

add that money to the chairman's salary(which isn't substantial)and a couple of other money wasters and your half way to the salary of the chief executive to independently run the sport instead of the usual "who is going to pay for it " line that keeps getting trotted out , the absolute first thing the sport has got to get sorted is a chief executive with absolute power and be totally independent , without it we might aswell shut the sport down now and no sucking up to any MP is going to change that

Another thing I would like to see next season is before every meeting machine examiners check every fuel tank and both fuel taps opened , then the fuel for that meeting is supplied like it is in Poland from one 45 gallon and tanks are filled before the race , its not difficult to impliment and not expensive either but it makes it harder for the cheats.

add that money to the chairman's salary(which isn't substantial)and a couple of other money wasters and your half way to the salary of the chief executive to independently run the sport instead of the usual "who is going to pay for it " line that keeps getting trotted out , the absolute first thing the sport has got to get sorted is a chief executive with absolute power and be totally independent , without it we might aswell shut the sport down now and no sucking up to any MP is going to change that

Sorry DEAN but I think you are way off, and being very narrow minded on this issue. Speedway was one of the last sports to have a Parliamentary Group. Obviously other sports recognise the need and insurance of having 'people in high places' to help promote their sport in a higher spectrum, and can represents speedways interests in House debates. We at Newcastle have always had very close relations with our local councillor, our local MP and the Lord Mayor. If we were ever to be thrown out of Brough Park, I know there would be a considerable lobby at the top to protect our interests. We have twice being invited to the Mansion House for a Civic Reception by the Lord Mayor to receive their congratulations for the success that we have brought to the City in 2001 and 2010. It is called civic pride and forms a very important part of networking, which in business is usually considered very desirable.

The benefits to a team in the future could well heavily exceed the lightweight cost of a Parliamentary invite to the House.

• Like 2

Sorry DEAN but I think you are way off, and being very narrow minded on this issue. Speedway was one of the last sports to have a Parliamentary Group. Obviously other sports recognise the need and insurance of having 'people in high places' to help promote their sport in a higher spectrum, and can represents speedways interests in House debates. We at Newcastle have always had very close relations with our local councillor, our local MP and the Lord Mayor. If we were ever to be thrown out of Brough Park, I know there would be a considerable lobby at the top to protect our interests. We have twice being invited to the Mansion House for a Civic Reception by the Lord Mayor to receive their congratulations for the success that we have brought to the City in 2001 and 2010. It is called civic pride and forms a very important part of networking, which in business is usually considered very desirable.

The benefits to a team in the future could well heavily exceed the lightweight cost of a Parliamentary invite to the House.

politicians are brought and sold like cotton and if you think having one as a friend in politics is in any way more benificial than money then Im not the one who is way off , this has been proven many times with now housing estates that used to be stadiums where the was considerable lobbying to save them , politicians will say anything for a vote and do pretty much anything for money and that includes stabbing speedway in the back, next you will be saying the AGM should be held abroad because the winter sun helps the members to come up with better ideas , actually while on the subject where is the AGM this year ? Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

politicians are brought and sold like cotton and if you think having one as a friend in politics is in any way more benificial than money then Im not the one who is way off , this has been proven many times with now housing estates that used to be stadiums where the was considerable lobbying to save them , politicians will say anything for a vote and do pretty much anything for money and that includes stabbing speedway in the back, next you will be saying the AGM should be held abroad because the winter sun helps the members to come up with better ideas , actually while on the subject where is the AGM this year ?

Somewhere far away beginning with T - NO not Turkey but nearly as sunny. And NO not Tadcaster. It is well known that the effect of the sun does aid inspiration but sadly all the thinking was done in ( or on the way to ) Rugby.