British Speedway Forum

I first went to Ipswich as a 10 year old with school the next day and I remember lots of kids my age being there every week Thursday racing was not a problem. Almost always home by 10 to 10.15 after 20 to 24 races every week.

• Like 1

Simple question.....

Would you bring team bonus points back for an overall aggregate win????

Yep. But TR scores are not calculated in the Aggregate Point.

If Belle Vue draw 45-45 with Somerset at Somerset without using a TR but Somerset win at Belle Vue 46-47 (due to an 6 point TR score) Belle Vue get the aggregate bonus.

• Like 1

I first went to Ipswich as a 10 year old with school the next day and I remember lots of kids my age being there every week Thursday racing was not a problem. Almost always home by 10 to 10.15 after 20 to 24 races every week.

Parents worry too much about their children having late nights IMHO..
  • Like 3

Quick question - how many other motor sports attract - or attempt to attract - a young family audience?!

I'd have thought that the 16-30 age group should be the key target audience as they have some reasonable spending power and if hooked could be the regular fans of the next 10-20 years!!

Quick answer !!! Loads of them, When at Silverstone recently there were loads of children, all wearing Rossi tee shirts....

Attracting the families does two things, 1 it enables the parents to pursue their interests and secondly it plants the seeds into the children mind for the years ahead. They say from little acorns grows big trees .... furthermore a family with children will always purchase more ( Food, Drinks, Tee-shirts, Flags) than those without, and the atmosphere is always more friendly when families are involved. Bigger crowd more noise.... It's a no brainer......

• Like 5

Simple question.....

Nope. Revert the current scoring system to its original guise, i.e. before Mr Cook etc al messed around with it and make the home team win by seven or more to collect all three points on offer. It's one of the few good ideas that the BSPA have had in years and is better than the bonus point IMO.

Perhaps so but the fact is that getting home way past ten is going to put parents off. Earlier finishes = more kids.

• Like 1

Just as an aside...

My lad plays U15 football and has now been playing for six years since he was eight...

Every team he has played for has run their training evenings from 6pm through till 9pm with hourly slots...

When he was 8, his side trained at six...

Now he is 14, his side and the age above (last year of school age) train at eight till nine..

Youngest train first so get home earliest, oldest train last...

None of the clubs have ever ran sessions after nine as simply there wouldnt be enough kids there to keep the clubs going...

I would say 730 - 900 is the optimum time for Speedway to get most kids home by 930 and give people enough time to get home from work to attend....

• Like 1

I agree. One night a week staying up a bit later is fine.

Simple question.....

No, but I'd bring back 2 points for winning by less that 6 at home.

• Like 1

I would just like to see 3 for a win and 1 for a draw..plus bonus point for aggregate. Nice and simple. I can't ever understand getting rewarded for losing.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 3

Quick answer !!! Loads of them, When at Silverstone recently there were loads of children, all wearing Rossi tee shirts....

Attracting the families does two things, 1 it enables the parents to pursue their interests and secondly it plants the seeds into the children mind for the years ahead. They say from little acorns grows big trees .... furthermore a family with children will always purchase more ( Food, Drinks, Tee-shirts, Flags) than those without, and the atmosphere is always more friendly when families are involved. Bigger crowd more noise.... It's a no brainer......

Thanks GRW. Apart from Speedway and the very occasional grasstrack meeting I have not been to any other motorsport event - so it was an honest question.

I'm not suggesting the sport 'excludes' families - far from it - but simply concentrates its promotion of the sport to a different demographic group ie 16-30 yrs. Emphasise the danger, the speed, the 'gladiatorial' aspects of the sport rather than the 'happy-clappy, family-friendly' approach. Aside from the cost to families, there are lots of other family activities that can be far more attractive than speedway - especially when you take in the whole package of run-down facilities, beer and burgers that are the usual fare at most - not all - tracks.

Just a thought - as the family-friendly approach can't be said to have been a brilliant success over past seasons.

i think the biggest farce is a draw 1 point for the home team 2 points for the away team so in fact the home team never drew in the first place they lost :rofl:

Why is it a farce? Home advantage is so strong in speedway that an away result of any kind should be worth more.

• Like 2

Simple question.....

No. It favours tracks with a big home advantage. Its right as it is now.

• Like 2

i think the biggest farce is a draw 1 point for the home team 2 points for the away team so in fact the home team never drew in the first place they lost :rofl:

It's not a farce at all. It was a good system.

The only thing wrong with it was that it no longer needed a TR to be available, but it was still available.

• Like 2