British Speedway Forum

Any idea that creates better attendances has to be a good idea. Die hard supporters who go every meeting are the lifeline of this sport. They should be encouraged rather than abused. They could offer a reward of free admission on the production of 5 used tickets....... Or buy 5 tickets and get one free. They are many ways to show your appreciation. I have always believe every season ticket holder should receive free admission at all away tracks... the chances are it would encourage more fans to attend that would otherwise not bother....

Implementation needs to come from top level so every club supporter can gain these benefits... I cant ever remember any initiation come down from the BSPA regards this, and that shows their lack of promotional attitudes...... How negative some sports are......

how about making season tickets worth having unlike Kings Lynn last season at start of the season you was one meeting better off but by end of season was worse off would have been cheaper to pay on gate what a disgraceful way to treat season ticket holders ? How about buy before 31st Dec you gain 4 meetings if you live 35 miles from the track another meeting off so 5 meetings saved if again bought by 31st December.

Seems to me that promoters can't really afford to offer value season tickets, clubs just don't have enough supporters, let's hope the situation changes...

• Like 1

Seems to me that promoters can't really afford to offer value season tickets, clubs just don't have enough supporters, let's hope the situation changes...

for the life of me I really can’t think why that is the case

It's the devil and the blue sea. Reduced admission may work for a short time, but it will slip if the product doesn't change.

The sport here needs remodelling. The BSPA needs disbanding, and an independent body putting in charge.

Rebuild after that. For as long as the current jobs for the boys continues, so will the brown envelopes.

• Like 5

Surely that is exactly the reason why they need to. Where once upon a time we had loads of supporters, and stadiums were filled most weeks. But now we have faster bikes, in better tracks and the dwindling crowds still stay away. The supporters at Lynn last year were taken for granted and treated very badly, Subsequently, the attendance dropped considerable. It would be wrong to assume these fans we automatically return next year, From my experience, once fans stop going, it takes a game-changer for these fans to return. We can all think of many reasons why supporters don't go any more, but we have great difficulty in thinking of ideas, implemented, that would encourage them to return.

Taking the view you posted above is typical of the way the promoter thinks. We only attract 600 fans each week, so they will have to foot the bill.... rather than try to push the sport forward by promoting in the positive manner. If the whole sport advertised these attendance bonuses, I'm sure it would benefit from the interest it would create. It might even be the 'Game-changer' in persuading those stayaway fans to return. One thing for sure it won't make the attendances drop like everything else seems to do.....

• Like 1

They can't afford not to. Its that simple. Radical change to the value for money aspect of the exciting on track product must be brought into UK speedway.

I make no apologies for repeating this here.

I do tend to post mostly negatively slanted posts on this thread, some I see as tongue in cheek humorous ways of dealing with the great disappointment of seeing what the happened to UK speedway since , say the turn of the century. The way that the BSPA have presided over the overall decline of UK speedway in the last 20 years leads me to believe that the sport I have followed since the early 1950's and Ultra seriously since Ove Fundin joined Norwich.

Of course all things change and evolve but the last 20 years ( with even more money coming in via the Sky TV deal as well as reasonable crowds ) those at the BSPA who have been taking critical core decisions have entirely disregarded the ideas of terrace fans ( not just posters on here ) by "doing it their way".

Anyone taking a very good look at the sport from an external perspective would see it is close to being in terminal decline.

Input from fans is either ignored or derided and never seen as feedback. Instead of actively looking for it and implementing the best and least expensive parts of that feedback it seems that a Totally Deaf Ear is turned to the view of the customer. So they walk away or choose their meetings and gradually can't be bothered. Even the die hard following is dying ( many literally ).

For me, my black humour lets me hugely enjoy any truly effective positive changes that the AGM makes to improve UK speedway by expecting very little as history has taught me to do.

Every fan attending a UK speedway match should get a simple survey form within the first four matches of the season and then at the mid waypoint of a season and then in the last four matches. Priceless "consumer " feedback. But do the BSPA want such a thing?

• Like 3

I saved over £100 this year with my Aces season ticket.

I saved over £100 this year with my Aces season ticket.

But how many thousands did they lose not being able to do 'Specials' throughout the year as by doing so their Season Ticket holders lose value...?

Years ago I could understand doing a Season Ticket as there was a high take up and it generated significant pre season income..

Nowadays if a track does more than 300 I would be surprised so for me it actually restricts your Promotional capabilities for very little real tangible rewards.

The Aces package in particular involving Colts meetings and free programmes is very good but only appeals to 'die hards' and not 'newbies' which the Sport so desperately needs and the irony is that these 'die hards' would invariably attend every week at full price as they are the most loyal fans...

I think it would be far better to do 'Mini Season Tickets' whereby you purchase say the next five matches for the price of four...

Often with it being a Summer sport, holidays kick in so Season Tickets are not value for money, and TV and the Weather can often change race nights at a moments notice meaning you cannot attend the rearranged fixture..

Buying say the next five matches at a reduced price would appeal not only to the 'die hards' but also to the 'floaters' (like me) I would suggest. As if I have already paid for something I would use it, unlike now whereby if a meeting suddenly becomes a bit 'Mickey Mouse' due to guest levels, or the weather looks a bit dodgy, I stay away..

We would also see which Promoters can actually innovate and actually Promote using 'normal' business practices to drive 'customers' through their doors...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

I saved over 300 quid by being selective on the meetings I watched...before this season I very rarely missed any meetings

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 2

I saved over 300 quid by being selective on the meetings I watched...before tigh season I very rarely missed any meetings

The ever growing amount of meetings I miss each year due to 'Mickey Mouse' being involved means I pay for my day out in Cardiff and then some!!!

How ironic, the BSPA helping to keep the SGP profitable..!

• Like 2

mikebv wrote " I think it would be far better to do 'Mini Season Tickets' whereby you purchase say the next five matches for the price of four"

Fabulous idea but it would take an Almighty Rush of Blood to the Head of those in Tenerife, for it to catch on!

Somebody give me Buster or Godfrey's text number and I will pass it on as constructive proposal from Lord Sugar ( because if they thought isa s speedway fan it would not make the agenda - even under the Agenda heading of " Adding VFM to Fan's Attending Meetings" ).

Edited by waytogo28

Do we need to send out a search and rescue team to Tenerife ? Its been very quiet , hope they are all ok

• Like 3

Do we need to send out a search and rescue team to Tenerife ? Its been very quiet , hope they are all ok

They say patience is a virtue and that good things come to those that wait.

Lets hope thats right

They say patience is a virtue and that good things come to those that wait.

Lets hope thats right

I think that where the BSPA are concerned even " the patience of job" would be tested to the extreme. :D

Didn’t think the agm finishes until tomorrow so don’t expect a press release before late tomorrow night or Monday.