British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
STEPHEN 333

Gorzow GP. Saturday August 25th 2018

26 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

ZAGAR who i have followed since his Trelawney days ie) with  an ancient Holloway, Harris, Masters,Ondrasik, he is an underachiever a really classy rider who has never quite stepped up to the mark.

Totally agree, he was superb in about 2003 , the same season Iversen landed at Newport. Both came in on 9.00 and both increased that figure which was rare in those days with the standard of rider they came up against. I remember a certain Nick Dyer from Reading stating Jonas Davidsson would be better than both, where is he these days?! (And Davidsson for that matter!).

heard whispers that Zagar lacks the professionalism and doesnt take the sport as seriously as he should, same as Jonsson. Both extremely talented, exciting riders who were more than capable of winning a world title - Jonsson more so imo.

7 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Totally agree, he was superb in about 2003 , the same season Iversen landed at Newport. Both came in on 9.00 and both increased that figure which was rare in those days with the standard of rider they came up against. I remember a certain Nick Dyer from Reading stating Jonas Davidsson would be better than both, where is he these days?! (And Davidsson for that matter!).

heard whispers that Zagar lacks the professionalism and doesnt take the sport as seriously as he should, same as Jonsson. Both extremely talented, exciting riders who were more than capable of winning a world title - Jonsson more so imo.

To be honest Pinny my youngest lad was a big Charlie Gdedde fan and i always rated Niels higher we used to argue our cases having a laugh.Did  i think Niel's would ever  be a GP star probably not but Newport in Niel's ,Smart, Watson(who I liked) really had some nice riders.Going back to ZAGAR he was a class act and i first see him when Holloway (who then was old took Simon Phillip's place and Matei was a class act looking back ZAGAR has had a great career but he was certainly World Champion material.

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

To be honest Pinny my youngest lad was a big Charlie Gdedde fan and i always rated Niels higher we used to argue our cases having a laugh.Did  i think Niel's would ever  be a GP star probably not but Newport in Niel's ,Smart, Watson(who I liked) really had some nice riders.Going back to ZAGAR he was a class act and i first see him when Holloway (who then was old took Simon Phillip's place and Matei was a class act looking back ZAGAR has had a great career but he was certainly World Champion material.

The year we had Watson, Smart and Iversen we also had Atkin who averaged about 7 and Wilkinson who had his first season in the 1-5 and added to his average by over a point.

quite remarkable that side finished 10th out of 18, just shows how good the PL was back in them days.

Gjedde was a class act for Swindon, in 2001 the year we had Cunningham and Masters at Newport and were bottom me and my dad used to go to Swindon most thursdays, seen Gjedde ride there for Reading easy 18 point max, Bjarne Pedersen and Fryer had a cracking race that season, great days.

Gjedde around the Abbey was sensational, only spent 2/3 of a season at Newport in 2011 but averaged 10.50 overall and was brilliant, most dominant Wasp I had seen even more dominant than a prime Watson I would say.

Iversen I thought may of jumped a year too early, I remember he agreed a deal with Tim Stone to return to Newport the next season and was set to double up and then I think they scrapped the double up/down rule meaning Waggy signed him full time for Oxford. That screwed Newports team plans right up I remember Tim Stone telling my old man the side he had planned and it would of taken some stopping.

Anyway back on topic, I suppose Zagar has had his fair share of chances and has never been top 3 so if he doesnt make top 8 this season it would be difficult to justify giving him a wild card .

• Like 1

Oh how i wish Nicki P had told Greg "mr nice guy" Handoncock to feck off with his false grin when he tried to hog the limelight. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Pinny said:

The year we had Watson, Smart and Iversen we also had Atkin who averaged about 7 and Wilkinson who had his first season in the 1-5 and added to his average by over a point.

quite remarkable that side finished 10th out of 18, just shows how good the PL was back in them days.

Gjedde was a class act for Swindon, in 2001 the year we had Cunningham and Masters at Newport and were bottom me and my dad used to go to Swindon most thursdays, seen Gjedde ride there for Reading easy 18 point max, Bjarne Pedersen and Fryer had a cracking race that season, great days.

Gjedde around the Abbey was sensational, only spent 2/3 of a season at Newport in 2011 but averaged 10.50 overall and was brilliant, most dominant Wasp I had seen even more dominant than a prime Watson I would say.

Iversen I thought may of jumped a year too early, I remember he agreed a deal with Tim Stone to return to Newport the next season and was set to double up and then I think they scrapped the double up/down rule meaning Waggy signed him full time for Oxford. That screwed Newports team plans right up I remember Tim Stone telling my old man the side he had planned and it would of taken some stopping.

Anyway back on topic, I suppose Zagar has had his fair share of chances and has never been top 3 so if he doesnt make top 8 this season it would be difficult to justify giving him a wild card .

Sorry for the silly hassle between us Pinny over the years great post and funny thing is i only went to Somerton Park once i.e.) when Crump was a beast a class act rider and man.

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Sorry for the silly hassle between us Pinny over the years great post and funny thing is i only went to Somerton Park once i.e.) when Crump was a beast a class act rider and man.

No worries , only online forum banter afterall.!

Can't say I thought of Zagar as a potential world champ.I mean who was he going to beat?

I'd say Emil,Ward and even Lindbäck could have been and it is possible Emil still might,but I think his chances have likely passed.Jankowski and Zmarzlik I think have much better stats and still might never win a title 

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Can't say I thought of Zagar as a potential world champ.I mean who was he going to beat?

I'd say Emil,Ward and even Lindbäck could have been and it is possible Emil still might,but I think his chances have likely passed.Jankowski and Zmarzlik I think have much better stats and still might never win a title 

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes you could be right in my lifetime Jansson,Crump,snr ) Ward,Adams, are four riders who were good anough to be World Champion.Lindback for me never good anough go back into yesteryear Farndon,Duggan were nailed on World Champs and maybe Graham Warren should of won one as well??!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes you could be right in my lifetime Jansson,Crump,snr ) Ward,Adams, are four riders who were good anough to be World Champion.Lindback for me never good anough go back into yesteryear Farndon,Duggan were nailed on World Champs and maybe Graham Warren should of won one as well??!

Zagar definately had the talent in his younger years, there was a hugely talented crop of u21 riders around in the 2001/2/3 days. Lindgren, Lindback, Iversen, Zagar, Hampel, Dryml.... quite how none of them, to date, have won a world title is beyond me.

14 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Zagar definately had the talent in his younger years, there was a hugely talented crop of u21 riders around in the 2001/2/3 days. Lindgren, Lindback, Iversen, Zagar, Hampel, Dryml.... quite how none of them, to date, have won a world title is beyond me.

Dryml before nearly being killed was a real class act.

I remember the World U21 final at P’boro in 2002 or 2003 that Kujawa won, I think Hampel and Dryml also made the podium and Zagar, Hans, Freddie Eriksson and one or two others were in it (Okenowski?) with Stead and Howe representing GB. 

Great days , we had Kujawa at Newport in 2004.... 000 on his debut and sacked!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

I remember a certain Nick Dyer from Reading stating Jonas Davidsson would be better than both, where is he these days?! (And Davidsson for that matter!).

Yeah, I often wonder what happened to Nick? Haven't heard anything from him in years; does anybody know?

Steve