British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Blimey, they're pulling the bloke from yesterday apart again... and he's not even there!

Having watched yesterday in full, he is a very easy target and the BE Barrister should make the most of this on behalf of his client.

Somebody has paid the bald guy to put together an analysis of the state of speedway, using only "officially available data"? He dug so deep, he took the Oxford stadium's capacity to be what it states on the speedway club's website. Talk about money for old rope.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gambo said:

All this discussion regarding the 3G pitch is a bit puzzling to me.

Aren't BE planning to include one?

seems to me that if they want a 3g pitch so badly, just let them build one in the stadium car park... everyone's a winner!

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

seems to me that if they want a 3g pitch so badly, just let them build one in the stadium car park... everyone's a winner!

or on the centre green a la Belle Vue 

• Like 1

1,200 people using a 3G pitch weekly against 14 riders using a speedway track over the same period.

This is ludicrous. On that basis, we'd be covering, with 3G pitches, every piece of land not in use for residential, commercial or industrial purposes!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

1,200 people using a 3G pitch weekly against 14 riders using a speedway track over the same period.

This is ludicrous. On that basis, we'd be covering, with 3G pitches, every piece of land not in use for residential, commercial or industrial purposes!

That's Sport England for you. They are all about participation  not spectator numbers.

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

That's Sport England for you. They are all about participation  not spectator numbers.

To be fair they were trying to justify the need spectators yesterday although rather weakly.

At the moment the council seem to have thrown us under the bus, their barrister sat there with what looked like his daughters laptop with childish stickers all over it calls a stuttering bumbling idot as a witness! 

Edited by iainb

48 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Aren't BE planning to include one?

Yes that's what they've been trying to justify for the last 3 days... in place of the stadium as a sporting facility

2 minutes ago, eric i said:

I thought alot of the same points/arguments were the same as yesterday.

it's the only argument they've got isn't it really. prove the Stadium isn't viable but a 3g pitch is, this replacing the sporting facility

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes, I've come across Sport England's participation obsession before - and the laughable statistics that support it.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

Why isn't someone pointing out the fact that a 3g pitch will be used by people ( mainly men) in their teens, twenties and maybe thirties?  Brandon Stadium will provide sporting entertainment for families with children of 5 years old and adults up to 95 years old.

Why isn't more being made of the fact that stock car racing is the big money earner at Brandon?  Why do they keep the discussion to Speedway?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 190557 said:

Why isn't more being made of the fact that stock car racing is the big money earner at Brandon?  Why do they keep the discussion to Speedway?

You would hope that the SCS barrister will make great play of that. If Mr Edie has not really factored that in (and as far as I could hear, he confirmed that) then the barrister should be able to throw doubt on his whole assessment of Brandon stadium's vialbilty versus a 3g pitch. 

I hope the barrister might also make the point, amongst many others, that the participants in a Premier League football club are far out weighed by the number of supports who attend, and compare that as a parallel to 14 speedway participants in a meeting. 

I would think the SCS barrister will be able to challenge Mr Edie on much of his evidence, especially where it was inaccurate and where he speculated - using the 'who did you speak to to establish this evidence' approach, as the BE barrister did quite extensively

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 190557 said:

Why isn't someone pointing out the fact that a 3g pitch will be used by people ( mainly men) in their teens, twenties and maybe thirties?  Brandon Stadium will provide sporting entertainment for families with children of 5 years old and adults up to 95 years old.

Because they know that a stand-alone stadium needs Stox (and other users) as a support, so are mainly concentrating on the Speedway side of it, as if to prove their point.

They ignore the Stox input as much as they can.