British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

This is really sad but that said I don’t get why people thought the outcome would be any different, when your going up against company’s with £s and company’s that don’t always play by the rules and on your side you have sentiment, you will never win, as with most things in life the cards are stacked and money talks, sad but life, hope they now look for other land, which if they are genuine about Reviving Coventry speedway imo they should of done back when Brandon shut  

13 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This is really sad but that said I don’t get why people thought the outcome would be any different, when your going up against company’s with £s and company’s that don’t always play by the rules and on your side you have sentiment, you will never win, as with most things in life the cards are stacked and money talks, sad but life, hope they now look for other land, which if they are genuine about Reviving Coventry speedway imo they should of done back when Brandon shut  

as should have Swindon as should Peterborough now and, sadly Edinburgh must be added to the list

• Like 1

14 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

100% Dean...

However. Never understand why the BSPL never seem to fight these issues as a collective...

Edinburgh and Swindon two cases in point. Every club seems to go it alone when fighting for their lives...

Surely some kind of structured responsive process is needed? It isnt like it is a new thing is it?

Do really some think "they close I get their riders I want off them?", and that is why no collective response is forthcoming? 

Surely not, but given so much self interest rather than collective growth always appears to be the policy you never can be 100% sure...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

However. Never understand why the BSPL never seem to fight these issues as a collective...

Sadly, their priorities lie elsewhere and they're too busy trying to get one over on each other.

Really does look ominous that Coventry have been shafted big time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattB said:

Sadly, their priorities lie elsewhere and they're too busy trying to get one over on each other.

Really does look ominous that Coventry have been shafted big time.

Sadly I fear you are correct.. 

And all to win competitions they themselves devalue, almost to the point of complete irrelevance, by their very own operating model...

Often people will say "we need one big league"...

Well. They need to get a move on with that, as at the current run rate of closures over the past decade, there wont be enough for "one medium league" not too many years down the line...

22 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

It Is Sad

Alternative sites have been looked  at,  one site near Brandon village was dismissed, to me it seemed a great alternative, the  site ticked all the right boxes basically the track was going to be in a hole to mitigate noise problems and full of  all very green and environmentally friendly features everywhere but rejected.

nobody is naïve here it was always going to be a long shot, maybe the Committee reject the plans but I doubt it.

At least the campaign group have tried and full kudos to them.

Best of luck to swindon and Edinburgh and whoever the next track under threat is.

Small but good piece in the paper this weekend re Brandon stadium  (Oliver Holt) about the stadiums holding memories and good times for fans .

Ill try and find the item online.

Edited by topaz325

Like everyone else, I am shocked and appalled at the one-sidedness of the Planning Officer's report and recommendation, but the decision will be made by the Planning Committee and they do not always go along with their officer's recommendations. I was very involved with the battle to get planning a planning consent to bring speedway back to Perry Barr so I know this to be a fact. Birmingham's planning officer Alan Orr recommended refusual at every turn, but we eventually won the planning committee round by making them aware of the strength of feeling and the huge level of support we had, and the eventual decision to give us full planning permission achieved a 14-1 vote of support.

Perhaps the Save Coventry Speedway Group have already contacted all of the Rugby Planning Committee members individually to make them fully aware of the situation, but if not, it would surely be worth them doing this, and if it would help, I have looked up the contact details of all of them. They won't reply to messages as they are not allowed by the rules to enter into correspondence or to give an indication of how they intend to vote, but it will at least put them in the picture and might even sway the issue for those members who do not appreciate the unfairness of the current position.

These are the e-mail contact details for the committee members concerned: The political mix (if this is relevant) is: Conservatives 6, Labour 3, Lib-Dems 2.

barbara.brown@rugby.gov.uk         adam.daly@rugby.gov.uk            peter.eccleston@rugby.gov.uk      anthony.gillias@rugby.gov.uk      eve.hassell@rugby.gov.uk

bill.lewis@rugby.gov.uk                   becky.maoudis@rugby.gov.uk    neil.sandison@rugby.gov.uk          john.slinger@rugby.gov.uk           tim.willis@rugby.gov.uk

ramesh.srivastava@rugby.gov.uk

If someone from the Save Coventry Speedway group can confirm that they think this worth a try, then I'll be pleased to e-mail these councillors myself, but I'll hold fire at the moment rather than interfere in something which might have already been done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Small but good piece in the paper this weekend re Brandon stadium  (Oliver Holt) about the stadiums holding memories and good times for fans .

Ill try and find the item online.

The planning meeting scheduled for this Wednesday has been postponed due to the Queen passing. No new date has yet been announced.

The piece by Oliver Holt (@OllieHolt22) in The Mail on Sunday:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Like everyone else, I am shocked and appalled at the one-sidedness of the Planning Officer's report and recommendation, but the decision will be made by the Planning Committee and they do not always go along with their officer's recommendations. I was very involved with the battle to get planning a planning consent to bring speedway back to Perry Barr so I know this to be a fact. Birmingham's planning officer Alan Orr recommended refusual at every turn, but we eventually won the planning committee round by making them aware of the strength of feeling and the huge level of support we had, and the eventual decision to give us full planning permission achieved a 14-1 vote of support.

Perhaps the Save Coventry Speedway Group have already contacted all of the Rugby Planning Committee members individually to make them fully aware of the situation, but if not, it would surely be worth them doing this, and if it would help, I have looked up the contact details of all of them. They won't reply to messages as they are not allowed by the rules to enter into correspondence or to give an indication of how they intend to vote, but it will at least put them in the picture and might even sway the issue for those members who do not appreciate the unfairness of the current position.

These are the e-mail contact details for the committee members concerned: The political mix (if this is relevant) is: Conservatives 6, Labour 3, Lib-Dems 2.

barbara.brown@rugby.gov.uk         adam.daly@rugby.gov.uk            peter.eccleston@rugby.gov.uk      anthony.gillias@rugby.gov.uk      eve.hassell@rugby.gov.uk

bill.lewis@rugby.gov.uk                   becky.maoudis@rugby.gov.uk    neil.sandison@rugby.gov.uk          john.slinger@rugby.gov.uk           tim.willis@rugby.gov.uk

ramesh.srivastava@rugby.gov.uk

If someone from the Save Coventry Speedway group can confirm that they think this worth a try, then I'll be pleased to e-mail these councillors myself, but I'll hold fire at the moment rather than interfere in something which might have already been done.

Good work, how did you find out which councillors are going to be on the committee?

I would of thought the more emails of objection the better but I will also hang fire. I hope fans don't give up the fight because of the Planning Officer's report, its not unusual for the  planning committee to go against the planning officer when there is strong public opposition.

58 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Like everyone else, ...

anthony.gillias@rugby.gov.uk     

Well I imagine one member won't need persuading. But I suspect he will have to recuse himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eric i said:

Good work, how did you find out which councillors are going to be on the committee?

I would of thought the more emails of objection the better but I will also hang fire. I hope fans don't give up the fight because of the Planning Officer's report, its not unusual for the  planning committee to go against the planning officer when there is strong public opposition.

Knowing some the folks involved in the Save Coventry Speedway campaign as I do, I know they are working hard on the best way to prepare for the planning meeting (whenever that might be). Perhaps we should wait before we blitz the planning committee with emails. I'm sure they'll advise us if that's what's needed.

Mr Gillias will have to declare an interest and withdraw. He won't have any choice but to do that, but he can be useful in making his views known to his colleagues.

At  the Perry Barr planning application, we initially obtained a three year temporary planning consent and before we applied for full planning we invited the members of the planning committee to come and watch a meeting. Only one of them accepted the invitation. She came, and she loved it, but the downside was that she then had to ask the chairman whether or not she needed to withdraw from the planning meeting. She was asked why she had accepted the invite to watch the speedway and replied that she wanted to see what it was all about before she made a decision. She was then asked whether or not she had given any indication of which way she intended to vote. She replied that no, she hadn't but that she had "jumped up and down all evening because it was so exciting."

She was then told that she must withdraw but before she left the chamber she called out in a loud voice: "It was wonderful, wonderful." " I loved every moment of it." It was a very powerful influence on the other members of the committee, and was I grateful to her for this.

• Like 5