British Speedway Forum
Fromafar

Berwick v Newcastle Ko Cup

19 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Steve it's unfortunately not the same as way back when,, as we now have riders in the MDL NJL & SDL leagues who could do a job in the national League & even some on the amature scene.. example ! On Saturday there will be our own josh embleton & berwicks Kieran Douglas well capable of doing a job in the national League but they just need a break !! But there again it all comes down to money as some of the national League lads are on top tuned machines which is hard for the development lads to compete with,, hats off to Redcar scunny for running amature meetings to try & help lads improve & also Dave Rowland for his training schools over the past few years that has produced a number of riders from 500 to 125 cc riders.. but we still need more help to get more help for NJL lads to the next level hopefully,,,

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.  The only thing I would say though is the NL is now down to just 8 teams, so team spaces are limited.  But you still have the likes of (and I'm not picking on these riders particularly!) Rob Ledwith, Paul Bowen and Ben Wilson, although, that said, it isn't as bad as it used to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevePark said:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.  The only thing I would say though is the NL is now down to just 8 teams, so team spaces are limited.  But you still have the likes of (and I'm not picking on these riders particularly!) Rob Ledwith, Paul Bowen and Ben Wilson, although, that said, it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Can’t remember if it was last year or 2017 when the average age of the Stoke side was touching 30

Should be another cracking night with two rivals going head to head. Berwick have great strength in numbers but Newcastle probably have the best heat leader trio in the PL.

If I had to put my neck out, I'd say Berwick to take it just over the 30 races. 

• Like 1

The Line-ups (courtesy of SpeedwayGB website)

BERWICK: Aaron Summers, Kevin Doolan r/r, Dany Gappmaier, Jye Etheridge, Nikolaj B Jakobsen, Coty Garcia, Leon Flint.
NEWCASTLE: Steve Worrall, Max Clegg, Lasse Bjerre, Matthew Wethers, Thomas Jorgensen, Jacob Bukhave, Danny Phillips.

A lot depends on the fitness of Jye and Coty.If they are not fully fit can see us going out.

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

A lot depends on the fitness of Jye and Coty.If they are not fully fit can see us going out.

Hopefully they are fit enough and we can get through. Been a while since we last had a Semi :D

So many ifs and buts to this tie. I've seen Lasse Bjerre be brilliant and poor at Berwick, TJ and Matty Wethers could be big spoilers tonight, are Jye and Coty fit?, will Dany Gapp be jekyll and hyde over the two legs?, will Berwick have any backup to Spud and NBJ tomorrow night? For me it is a 50/50 tie. Decent weather today, hopefully big crowds for the two legs and a good cup tie atmosphere.  

• Like 1

No problems weather wise, dry now and forecast to stay that way. Agree with the point about Newcastle cant be as poor as they were earlier in the season where Berwick won both at home and away, so Berwick need to improve to and with a team short of a rider and captain they have a job on to qualify for the semis.

Guest Loose Diamond
On 5/30/2019 at 12:09 PM, ruffdiamond said:

am not saying anyone is cheating or anything like,,, but Stark in place of Doolan at Brough is hardly a fair swap ;)

That's why their using him. As I've already said should only be allowed a guest for a Number 1. Just my opinion. Should not be allowed a guest for any team member. Starkey flying at Redcar last night. Unlucky in his last ride. Helped Steve Worrall big style. But he also had his problems in an earlier heat. Danny Ayres very impressive. Newcastle if they considered him for a team place or not I do not know but he didn't have a team place at the beginning of the season. Another to slip through the net?

35 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

That's why their using him. As I've already said should only be allowed a guest for a Number 1. Just my opinion. Should not be allowed a guest for any team member. 

Well,,, a suppose if its within the rules, thats fine and, hats of to Berwick for fiddling, oops I mean figuring it out ;)

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well,,, a suppose if its within the rules, thats fine and, hats of to Berwick for fiddling, oops I mean figuring it out ;)

Kev got 8+1 from 4 this season with Worrall and Clegg beating him so not to bad (Worrall and Wethers beating Starke this season).

Maybe Berwick can learn a trick or two from Newcastle who last season used a facility for a rider who was taking time out the sport despite the 28 day facility running out the day before (this costing Berwick a top 4 place).:cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Quite a few teams seem to do this when they go to Newcastle. Let's hope it back fires on them.

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, sparks123 said:

Kev got 8+1 from 4 this season with Worrall and Clegg beating him so not to bad (Worrall and Wethers beating Starke this season).

Maybe Berwick can learn a trick or two from Newcastle who last season used a facility for a rider who was taking time out the sport despite the 28 day facility running out the day before (this costing Berwick a top 4 place).:cheers:

Who was this? My memory is not too clever these days.

Lewis Rose

11 hours ago, Shadders said:

Can’t remember if it was last year or 2017 when the average age of the Stoke side was touching 30

Tony Adkin would presumably be one of them.