British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

SON finals Togliatti Sat/Sun July 20th/21st Live on BT Sport

Cook riding the centre of the track is what he did i the year he was in the GP’s.  Even when he gated opposition went under him into the bend and that was that, he couldn’t come back.

Didnt Tai say Bewley had messaged last night “get me to Russia and I will ride”. He should have been there in the pits if he was  or in the team (which he should have according to Tai, me and a few others on here).

Team riding is none existent with some teams. My award to the best team riding goes to Team GB, in heat 11 tonight against Germany, what Cook and Harris did for the first two laps was pretty good....... problem being they were 3rd and 4th. Ah well.

The Togliatti track will be ideal for ice racing, flat and long straights, absolutely fine for ice machines with big spikes in the tyres. Rubbish for shale speedway. 

Please,  no speedway GP there, though I think there may well be.

5 hours ago, DSC67 said:

How can you explain to non speedway fans that after two days of racing the team with most points might not be champs ? IMO there's No need for a final the team that tops the scorecard should be champions 

In GP's many times the top scorer is not the winner either. Madsen won a GP winning one race all night

38 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

In GP's many times the top scorer is not the winner either. Madsen won a GP winning one race all night

He wasn't World champ though was he 

As I noted earlier , I have seen (U tube) some decent racing before at Togliatti. I wonder if the GB team had done better there, those who are yelling "never again there" would be yelling less?

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

How can you explain to non speedway fans that after two days of racing the team with most points might not be champs ? IMO there's No need for a final the team that tops the scorecard should be champions 

Another stupid comment .. The rules are known before the meeting  just like they are in any  other sport.. No doubt cricket fans were amazed when England won the cricket World Cup final last week after coming 4th in the league table .. How do you  tell non football fans that Liverpool won the champions league when they never even champions .

My brother is a non Speedway fan and understood it fine  .

Edited by orion

16 minutes ago, orion said:

Another stupid comment .. The rules are known before the meeting  just like they are in any  other sport.. No doubt cricket fans were amazed when England won the cricket World Cup final last week after coming 4th in the league table .. How do you  tell non football fans that Liverpool won the champions league when they never even champions .

My brother is a non Speedway fan and understood it fine  .

I don't think that that non champions should be playing in the champions league, I also don't agree that the  teams who drop out should go into the Europa Cup as for the cricket it should be split into two groups with the group winners playing in the final 

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:
16 minutes ago, orion said:

And Liverpool didn't win the Premier League, despite losing only one game to Manchester City's four.

And Roger Federer (36) won more games than Novak Djokovic (32), yet Djokovic won Wimbledon.

Is everyone up in arms about it, and protesting the systems? Of course not...

Funny, but speedway fans are so fixed on "try explaining that to non-speedway fans". All they are doing is justifying (or attempting to justify) to themselves what they believe is wrong with speedway, and why non-speedway fans don't follow the sport.

Like things like that are important to non-speedway fans. Whatever system is used, there will always be anomalies...

Steve

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I don't think that that non champions should be playing in the champions league, I also don't agree that the  teams who drop out should go into the Europa Cup as for the cricket it should be split into two groups with the group winners playing in the final 

Should it now? You probably feel the same way about the football World Cup. And the Olympic rowing events with the repechage. And fastest losers in Olympic athletics events.

Steve

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Not sure non cricket fans or non  football fans would understand that :rofl:

4 minutes ago, orion said:

Not sure non cricket fans or non  football fans would understand that :rofl:

Of course, speedway was so much better in the old days, particularly in the World Championship.  Sixteen qualifying meetings with only the winner from each making it to the World Final!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Of course, speedway was so much better in the old days, particularly in the World Championship.  Sixteen qualifying meetings with only the winner from each making it to the World Final!

Must have been hard to explain it to non speedway fans .

I'm not a great fan of this competition. I think it has many flaws. On it's own, it's fine, but as a replacement for the World Cup it's a disaster. I remember some epic World Cups, with some amazing races. This just doesn't live up to it, and it's pretty clear it's been done to stop Poland dominating.

Could they not, at least, revert to the World Cup every 4 years? I hope that happens but I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1

One thing has been clarified overnight by someone who knows. Yesterday i suggested that Sweden had broken the rules with their use of the U21 rider and i quoted this rule.

" The U21 Rider must race in a minimum of 1 heat in each meeting, Final day 1 and Final day 2 will be classed as 2 meetings. If the U21 does not get nominated before the last programmed heat for his country he will automatically replace the rider in Red or White."

I now know that i misinterpreted this rule(understandably i think !) and it actually means that if a team are just about to be pushed off for the last  of their programmed rides  and the reserve hasn`t been used, the Race Director will step in and make the reserve go in place of the  red or white(depending on their gates).

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I'm not a great fan of this competition. I think it has many flaws. On it's own, it's fine, but as a replacement for the World Cup it's a disaster. I remember some epic World Cups, with some amazing races. This just doesn't live up to it, and it's pretty clear it's been done to stop Poland dominating.

Could they not, at least, revert to the World Cup every 4 years? I hope that happens but I won't hold my breath.

CAN you imagine a GB squad of five riders in an old-style World Cup over the weekend without Tai...

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CAN you imagine a GB squad of five riders in an old-style World Cup over the weekend without Tai...

We'd be hopeless, as would many other countries without their top rider.

The World Cup was a better event though, although it did tend to end up with the same few countries all the time in the final.

In terms of GB? Yes, we have a much greater chance under this format. That doesn't make it a better competition though.

• Like 1