British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Tai Woffinden book at £8.99

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

At last a common sense answer. I will possibly follow your suggestion. Many thanks indeed CottonOn.

Oh come on Gustix. Man of the world and FB speedway group expert. This surely isn’t the first time you realized you can order books from a bookshop????

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

My time involved with the speedway on a full-time journalistic basis were about four years whereas far more years in the profession were in no way connected with the sport. That should clarify that point for you chunky.

It doesn't need clarification. You just constantly contradict yourself...

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Oh come on Gustix. Man of the world and FB speedway group expert. This surely isn’t the first time you realized you can order books from a bookshop????

Apparently...

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

That's yet another mysterious guise for me with which I am not familiar.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

Now you're scaring me... Really...

9 minutes ago, gustix said:

You should have kept schtumm. Now you will have jokers asking you about everything, so you have to go out and buy it:rofl:

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You should have kept schtumm. Now you will have jokers asking you about everything, so you have to go out and buy it:rofl:

Yeah, but think of the tax breaks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Mmmmm.

Interesting Iris123 and thank you, indeed, food for thought.

I have a question and its a pertinent one.

Is this service available via one of the true wonders of the modern world, that is to say, the telephone, perchance?

And if that it is indeed the case in point, do Messrs WHSmith accept postal orders as remittance (in part or full) for said purchases?

Personally I cannot wait for the Internet to be invented whereby I can eagerly, and enthusiastically, look forward to the day companies decide to sell their wares "on-the-line",  as I believe the correct parlance may well turn out to be.

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Mmmmm.

Is this service available via one of the true wonders of the modern world, that is to say, the telephone, perchance?

And if that it is indeed the case in point, do Messrs WHSmith accept postal orders as remittance (in part or full) for said purchases?

Personally I cannot wait for the Internet to be invented whereby I can eagerly, and enthusiastically, look forward to the day companies decide to sell their wares "on-the-line",  as I believe the correct parlance may well turn out to be.

What an excellent post mikebv! Your comments are acceptable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gustix said:

41 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Mmmmm.

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

What an excellent post mikebv! Your comments are acceptable.

Could you please explain the relevance of these quotes regarding the subject in question mikebv?

• Haha 1

Thank you Mr Chunky, my good man.

Kind words indeed.

i will try and explain my rationale for said articulation.

Your words took me back to a particularly bleak and grey night at New Cross a great many years ago.

A night full of mist and drizzle (mizzle if you will), and one where I remember dear old Sverre Harrfeldt (a true gentleman), saying to me "Open that door for me will you I've got my hands full" as he arrived at the track carrying his leathers in a bag.

We remained on me knowing who he was terms for a great many years.

Many more than either of us would care to remember I am sure.

Note "leathers", I said by the way, and black ones only too, not some garishly coloured garb that looks like they give no more protection than a common or garden wincyette nighty.

As I say a true gentleman was Sverre, no tattoos or holes in his ears for him.

In fact, as a case in point I remember Split Waterman one night at West Ham saying etc etc etc 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, gustix said:

Any basic reason please for the comment on what many Posters on here tend to regard as something of a speedway epic?

I did try to buy a copy in Sainsburys, Penge, south London. A person who I presume looks after the books, magazines, newspaper section appeared puzzled when I asked about the book.

Hi John, go out and buy the book, I had mine yesterday and couldn't put it down, just finished it. Having been to three Tai talk ins two at Wolverhampton one at Halifax, always admire his out spokenness.  Having read the book this is by far the best book I have read, he has worked so hard to have got where he has got today. He talks so much sense and I'm sure you would change your views about him.

Finished the book, great read and very illuminating if you already like Tai, or not, you will but defo undstand him more.  My book was a present (what do I get for someone who goes on about speedway almost non-stop ?) though I'd happily have bought it myself (for myself) from one of the main 4 supermarkets who afterall still stock the Speedway Star....

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Thank you Mr Chunky, my good man.

Kind words indeed.

i will try and explain my rationale for said articulation.

Your words took me back to a particularly bleak and grey night at New Cross a great many years ago.

A night full of mist and drizzle (mizzle if you will), and one where I remember dear old Sverre Harrfeldt (a true gentleman), saying to me "Open that door for me will you I've got my hands full" as he arrived at the track carrying his leathers in a bag.

We remained on me knowing who he was terms for a great many years.

Many more than either of us would care to remember I am sure.

Note "leathers", I said by the way, and black ones only too, not some garishly coloured garb that looks like they give no more protection than a common or garden wincyette nighty.

As I say a true gentleman was Sverre, no tattoos or holes in his ears for him.

In fact, as a case in point I remember Split Waterman one night at West Ham saying etc etc etc 

I recall a similar incident at New Cross. It was in 1946 and I helped Geoff Pymar and Keith Harvey unload their cars, then carry their other gear to the dressing room. Each gave me a shilling for my efforts. I wonder what a shilling in 1946 is equal to in present day terms?

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

But that would have been the end of the story, unless Gustix reeled back in horror at the tattooed pic of Tai and said, look at the state of him. You wouldn’t catch Jack Parker looking like that, whilst walking out of the shop shaking his head and carrying on the conversation with a couple of teenagers at the bus stop

I agree. It would be strange if Jack Parker ever behaved like that.