British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

3 hours ago, speed29 said:

We need get Edinburgh move to new track!!!! 

What would the rules be on Edinburgh running from a temporary home such as  the new Workington track while they sorted out a new stadium of their own?

Track is coming along nicely.Thanks for posting the photos THJ.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fina said:

What would the rules be on Edinburgh running from a temporary home such as  the new Workington track while they sorted out a new stadium of their own?

Forget it!   They couldn't make it work, and nearly bankrupted the club when they ran in a comfortably-plush, big-city stadium just 45 miles from Edinburgh in 1996.

No way could they contemplate running at a place like Northside -- in the early stages of its development -- 130 miles away.

Plus, it was proved in 1987 that the Workington public have no interest in supporting any speedway team that isn't called "Comets"...........

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Forget it!   They couldn't make it work, and nearly bankrupted the club when they ran in a comfortably-plush, big-city stadium just 45 miles from Edinburgh in 1996.

No way could they contemplate running at a place like Northside -- in the early stages of its development -- 130 miles away.

Plus, it was proved in 1987 that the Workington public have no interest in supporting any speedway team that isn't called "Comets"...........

ok.  Interesting your comment about the Workington public, that is a side of speedway I haven't really got my head round since getting back to watching.  

Maybe that's because I am happy to watch any good racing, rather than being attached to one team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fina said:

Do you not think they will have there own team to worry about? Also if it's going to be used for training etc.

Edited by JC81

I can go watch now with no stress,but when your watching " your" team its harder esp if a last ht decider,watching at redcar,glasgow newcastle allways root for home team but aslong as its entertaining thats all that matters

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Fina said:

forget that idea , they would not know how to ride a proper track . 

none of my coin going north of the border .they wanted to depart from the uk , let em go and swing ..

Northside just got rid of the tin sheet mob . dont need the battered mars bar troop 

down in sunny wuggy way  lol.

Edited by jenga
  • Haha 1

1987 It was the Workington Tigger's sorry tigers, not a very good crowd, then they reverted to Workington comets, crowds did not improve, then we had the cow poo incident then no more speedway as they (Glasgow) only appeared on a Friday afternoon for that evenings fixture with very dodgy roadworks lights, can't see Edinburgh trying anything like this, hopefully the new comets track will be up and running later this year, then maybe conference league next year ?? Up the comets

in 1987 they started off racing at Derwent Park as the Glasgow Tigers, then changed mid-season to the Workington Tigers in the hope of increasing the crowds before being kicked out of the league. Workington Tigers Race Jacket below.

1987 workington_tigers Race Jacket.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bigdave said:

in 1987 they started off racing at Derwent Park as the Glasgow Tigers, then changed mid-season to the Workington Tigers in the hope of increasing the crowds before being kicked out of the league. Workington Tigers Race Jacket below.

1987 workington_tigers Race Jacket.jpg

You'd suspect they were tossed out of the National League for producing that abomination of a race-jacket, rather than any other failings .....

16 hours ago, jenga said:

forget that idea , they would not know how to ride a proper track . 

none of my coin going north of the border .they wanted to depart from the uk , let em go and swing ..

Northside just got rid of the tin sheet mob . dont need the battered mars bar troop 

down in sunny wuggy way  lol.

Nothing quite like a bit of casual racism eh?

You'll find we voted to remain in UK too actually..might want to read up on your facts :t:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

You'll find we voted to remain in UK too actually..might want to read up on your facts :t:

Probably getting the EU and UK mixed up!

• Like 1

Those who don't  know jenga is otherwise known as the village  idiot :rolleyes: not all people from Workington think like this :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

butt your leader from over the border is trying again to split for a 2nd time . int she ?   probably .

4 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Probably getting the EU and UK mixed up!

probably  !  but prove it .

47 minutes ago, Neila said:

Those who don't  know jenga is otherwise known as the village  idiot :rolleyes: not all people from Workington think like this :D

since when was Workington a village , idiot . anyhow i am not fra Workington and i dont live on a village , people .

i once drew a face on my thumb and it was a spitting image of you . great likeness tho .  :t:

Edited by jenga