British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

He has my  and others season ticket money .

If the league is shrunk down to one H&A meeting promotions will need to give back 50% of the season ticket money already paid by supporters or if it doesn’t start at all a full refund

3 hours ago, MattK said:

Find eight companies who target the same market as speedway attracts, the over 50s. So Jaguar, Daily Telegraph, Fat Face, Saga and so on. Seven of the companies get assigned a team to sponsor and one sponsors the league. In turn, each sponsor brings a "roadshow" to every club twice in the season - which means 16 roadshows per club, per season.

Speedway benefits from the credibility of recognisable brands and a small mention on each of the brand's websites/social media. In turn, the brands get to put themselves in front of their target audience. After one season if brands see value in this approach, they can be asked for a small contribution for sponsorship going forwards.

Suppose you're the marketing manager at somewhere like Jaguar or the Daily Telegraph (by the way, after the relatively huge investment by media standards - both financially and page-wise - that the Daily Telegraph's made into women's sport in the past 18 months, I'm sure its marketing manager will be crestfallen the moment you approach stereotyping that newspaper among the over 50's but that's another story).

Such a marketing manager, blessed with a multi-million-pound budget (even post-coronavirus) and various options of where to spend that budget will ask you how many folk their company's going to reach by tapping into British speedway.

However well you gloss up this potential reach, any marketing manager at that level of corporate-UK will look at that reach you've just quoted them and then thank you for utterly wasting their time by wanting them to consider a project whose reach is way beneath anything they'd normally consider.

There's plenty of cross-credibility for speedway in getting itself linked to Jaguar or the Daily Telegraph - there's a miniscule amount of cross-credibility going the other way !!

If hooking up with big brands is so easy, how come even rugby league's Super League has to dredge as low as tins of mushy peas (Batchelor's in case you're wondering) to fill its post-match interview background on Sky - and that's for a sport with at least 3 clubs (Wigan, St Helens & Leeds) attracting average crowds of 10,000 and several more at least attracting over 5,000, the type of crowds British weekly domestic speedway hasn't seen this century !!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, arthur cross said:

Suppose you're the marketing manager at somewhere like Jaguar or the Daily Telegraph (by the way, after the relatively huge investment by media standards - both financially and page-wise - that the Daily Telegraph's made into women's sport in the past 18 months, I'm sure its marketing manager will be crestfallen the moment you approach stereotyping that newspaper among the over 50's but that's another story).

Such a marketing manager, blessed with a multi-million-pound budget (even post-coronavirus) and various options of where to spend that budget will ask you how many folk their company's going to reach by tapping into British speedway.

However well you gloss up this potential reach, any marketing manager at that level of corporate-UK will look at that reach you've just quoted them and then thank you for utterly wasting their time by wanting them to consider a project whose reach is way beneath anything they'd normally consider.

There's plenty of cross-credibility for speedway in getting itself linked to Jaguar or the Daily Telegraph - there's a miniscule amount of cross-credibility going the other way !!

If hooking up with big brands is so easy, how come even rugby league's Super League has to dredge as low as tins of mushy peas (Batchelor's in case you're wondering) to fill its post-match interview background on Sky - and that's for a sport with at least 3 clubs (Wigan, St Helens & Leeds) attracting average crowds of 10,000 and several more at least attracting over 5,000, the type of crowds British weekly domestic speedway hasn't seen this century !!

Stannah stair lifts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

If the league is shrunk down to one H&A meeting promotions will need to give back 50% of the season ticket money already paid by supporters or if it doesn’t start at all a full refund

I think it may well prove to be a hard job to get the money back

Josh Brookes, favourite to win the 2020 British Superbikes championship is back in his native Australia and he does'nt think BSB will take place this year.

That's what I am thinking for speedway in 2020 too.  This virus is not going to go away as quick as we may wish it to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

I think it may well prove to be a hard job to get the money back

Unless you paid by credit card.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I would imagine it will be given as a 'credit' towards next season.

9 hours ago, MattK said:

This could be a blessing in disguise. Instead of being sponsored by the local builders merchant or industrial filter manufacturer, use this as an opportunity.

Find eight companies who target the same market as speedway attracts, the over 50s. So Jaguar, Daily Telegraph, Fat Face, Saga and so on. Seven of the companies get assigned a team to sponsor and one sponsors the league. In turn, each sponsor brings a "roadshow" to every club twice in the season - which means 16 roadshows per club, per season.

Speedway benefits from the credibility of recognisable brands and a small mention on each of the brand's websites/social media. In turn, the brands get to put themselves in front of their target audience. After one season if brands see value in this approach, they can be asked for a small contribution for sponsorship going forwards.

Nice idea...full of ambition, will it happen? Not a chance!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arthur cross said:

It's all relative. Yes of course those companies have multi-million pound marketing budgets in place for TV, print and other advertising. They also have little roadshow stands sat around perfect for a speedway event.

I agree, offering them free space is a very long way from them paying for the privilege. Maybe I'm aiming a bit high and middleweight companies would be a better bet. For example, Morgan used to do a thing with Leigh Adams. I don't know if that was because he purchased one of their cars, but they are the kind of company which I think would be an ideal fit.

4 minutes ago, MattK said:

It's all relative. Yes of course those companies have multi-million pound marketing budgets in place for TV, print and other advertising. They also have little roadshow stands sat around perfect for a speedway event.

I agree, offering them free space is a very long way from them paying for the privilege. Maybe I'm aiming a bit high and middleweight companies would be a better bet. For example, Morgan used to do a thing with Leigh Adams. I don't know if that was because he purchased one of their cars, but they are the kind of company which I think would be an ideal fit.

I applaud your idea, but yes you might be aiming too high.

And I can’t see many speedway fans being able to afford a Morgan. A mouth organ maybe.  :)

Or a mobility scooter.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

I applaud your idea, but yes you might be aiming too high.

And I can’t see many speedway fans being able to afford a Morgan. A mouth organ maybe.  :)

Or a mobility scooter.

That's another thing speedway desperately needs to do - a thorough demographic survey. When I look around the car park at Swindon it's all Audis, BMWs, etc. my old Passat looks decidedly poor. I'd love to know whether speedway's "working class" image is still representative of today's supporters.

8 minutes ago, MattK said:

That's another thing speedway desperately needs to do - a thorough demographic survey. When I look around the car park at Swindon it's all Audis, BMWs, etc. my old Passat looks decidedly poor. I'd love to know whether speedway's "working class" image is still representative of today's supporters.

You could be right.

Presumably they’re in the Legends Lounge munching on prawn sandwiches? Or should I say prawn and avocado on sourdough with a pinch of saffron and a soupcon of lemon zest?  :)

Edited by DC2

10 minutes ago, MattK said:

That's another thing speedway desperately needs to do - a thorough demographic survey. When I look around the car park at Swindon it's all Audis, BMWs, etc. 

And that’s just the Honda workers.   :)

Just now, DC2 said:

And that’s just the Honda workers.   :)

Was the Honda workers, now i believe it can only be the BMW workers unfortunately..

21 hours ago, DC2 said:

prawn and avocado on sourdough with a pinch of saffron and a soupcon of lemon zest?  

I have never seen those at any speedway stadium I have visted, but I do lust for one Right Now for my lunch! Most of the speedway fare I have sampled this centurey has been - well slightly worse than what is available elewhere - but considerably more expensive.