British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swedish Elitserien League final 2nd leg Wednesday 6th October live on TV

Only 577 in Avesta and the home team far too good for the visitors from Motala. For Masarna  Hellstrom- Bangs was flying and finished with 12 paid 13. For Piraterna THJ provided all the entertainment with several charges from the back.

980 in Gislaved and another big home victory. Lambert in a class of his own for Lejonen  - just beaten in heat 1 by Nilsson. Only Lahti and Huckenbeck in double figures for Rospiggarna.

Surely the clubs cannot survive on crowds like that (the figures quoted for last week in the Speedway Star, despite restriction being lifted, were disastrous). I would think that the wages bills would be much higher than in Britain as well, given that the Swedish clubs still use some of the Ekstraliga riders.

Seeing that riders like that cannot attract a crowd makes me think Britain is doing the right thing, ignoring Ekstraliga riders in the main and concentrating on riders based in this country. Use local riders and build up from within again. 

Current table

1 Smederna P 6 pts 12

2 Dackarna P 7 pts 9

3 Vastervik P 6 pts 8

4 Lejonen P 6 pts 8

5 Vetlanda P 6 pts 6

6 Rospiggarna P 7 pts 4

7 Masarna P 6 pts 4

8 Indianerna P 6 pts 4

9 Piraterna P 6 pts 1

In my effort to try and get my head around the way Sweden name their Speedway teams, I ran them through Google translate and here are the results:

The Blacksmiths

The Ducks

Vastervik 

The Lion

Vetlanda 

Rospiggarna

The Masses

The Indians

The Pirates

Question: Why do some teams use their emblem name and others use their location name? It makes it mighty confusing when sometimes in commentary clubs are referred to with both/either or any of their names like Kumla/Inianarna/The Indians... sometimes it's like 6 teams are on show.

"arna" seems to indicate "the" and the previous part of the word except for Rospiggarna which Google won't translate... what's a Rospigg? Some kind of Pig?

Why haven't Vetlanda or Vastervik got other names?

Confused :unsure:

Vetlanda and Västervik both DID have nicknames for their teams in the past. They used to be known as the Njudungarna and the Skepparna. Not sure why they drooppped these names.

And Rospiggarna has absolutely nothing to do with a pig. I seem to remember that it has to do with people of local history there. Perhaps someone of our Swedish experts on the BSF knows better than me and can explain it?  

Edited by Bavarian
  • Thanks 1

Rospigg is someone living in the the geographical region called Roslagen. A pigg is an old word for wasp (wasp's sting). 

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Vetlanda and Västervik both DID have nicknames for their teams in the past. They used to be known as the Njudungarna and the Skepparna. Not sure why they drooppped these names.

And Rospiggarna has absolutely nothing to do with a pig. I seem to remember that it has to do with people of local history there. Perhaps someone of our Swedish experts on the BSF knows better than me and can explain it?  

What's a Njudungarna... and The Ships

27 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

Rospigg is someone living in the the geographical region called Rosslagen. A pigg is an old word for wasp (wasp's sting). 

Not The Roast Pigs then lol

Edited by iainb

54 minutes ago, iainb said:

In my effort to try and get my head around the way Sweden name their Speedway teams, I ran them through Google translate and here are the results:

The Blacksmiths

The Ducks

Vastervik 

The Lion

Vetlanda 

Rospiggarna

The Masses

The Indians

The Pirates

Question: Why do some teams use their emblem name and others use their location name? It makes it mighty confusing when sometimes in commentary clubs are referred to with both/either or any of their names like Kumla/Inianarna/The Indians... sometimes it's like 6 teams are on show.

"arna" seems to indicate "the" and the previous part of the word except for Rospiggarna which Google won't translate... what's a Rospigg? Some kind of Pig?

Why haven't Vetlanda or Vastervik got other names?

Confused :unsure:

Dackarna is most certainly not ducks. Dackarna is named after south Swedish rebel Nils Dacke and Dackarna was his followers.
Mas|ar(na) is a nickname for people living in the province named Dalarna.
Vetlanda and Västervik do have other names as well. Vetlanda is/was also known as Njudungarna and Västervik is also known as Skepparna.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

What's a Njudungarna... and The Ships

Not a The Roast Pigs then lol

Njudung is another local geographical name. It's the name of one of the small medieval provinces which together was designated små land (Småland)
and one of this provinces was Njudung,. 

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Njudung

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Småland#History

Skeppare is a commander of a smaller ship, but in this case people working on the shipyard that once existed in Västervik.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Thanks 1

I'm even more confused now... wish I hadn't asked :drink:

• Confused 2

very good explanations by @Ghostwalker, it is crystal clear now :t:

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm even more confused now... wish I hadn't asked :drink:

To simply things, almost every name has a local connection one way or another, either geographical names or professions with local connection.

1 hour ago, Ghostwalker said:

Rospigg is someone living in the the geographical region called Roslagen. A pigg is an old word for wasp (wasp's sting). 

Could this possibly have someting to do with a rose and it's thorns ?