British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn v Ipswich 05/07/21

28 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Personally I wouldn't watch speedway at a track If I had to peer through a mesh fence which is bound to degrade the viewing experience. 

From most viewpoints around the stadium you hardly notice the catch fence is there, it does not impede the view. Plus you have the comfort of knowing it should stop any errant machinery from descending onto the terraces. If you haven't been there to see it you cannot say it will degrade the viewing experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Potman said:

From most viewpoints around the stadium you hardly notice the catch fence is there, it does not impede the view. Plus you have the comfort of knowing it should stop any errant machinery from descending onto the terraces. If you haven't been there to see it you cannot say it will degrade the viewing experience.

Having stood on the Lynn terraces and had at different times had 2 bikes (David Norris was one, forgot the other) and one rider ( Dukie Ermolenko) fly over the fence and land within feet of me, I was quite pleased to see the fencing installed. The benefit of safety far outweighs the very small effect on the view. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The only reason anyone would see the catch fence as a problem is because the racing is just so bad. 

If there was good racing the fencing wouldn't be talked about 

I thought the racing was ok on Monday. But people are moaning. I don't know how many of them have watched it live though, if any on this thread, would be my guess. You get used to it, i don't even think about it until it's mentioned.  

• Like 1

I watched it avidly Live on TV. Got a vastly better view of every aspect of the racing than I did from the disabled bench I used to occupy on a regular basis. Live TV for me and I would happily pay for a Live Stream view ( not going to be of that standard I know ) while Delta variant endangers many of the Vulnerable Elerly ( and that will get worse for the rest of the season under B.J. "freedom" policy ). And there were six races worthy of the name on Monday, with a pass or a distinct possibiility of one - again an improvement on season 2019 , where if you got 3 races in a match you had done well.

• Like 1

WtoG….. the like is for you reference to health problems and your reason not to go.

Many think come July 17 the terraces will be packed. They may well be but it’s certain there are many like yourself with health problems who won’t go because of the current situation which will be made worse for many come July 17.  
In the late 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and up got early 80’s I was an avid BV fan, every Saturday night during the season. Drifted away, didn’t see much of the Sky tv racing, but came back in 2013 by going to Cardiff, and in 2014 and 2015.  Only been to 2 live meetings other then Cardiff, the World Team Championship 2016 at BV and late 2019 to watch the Colts thrash Mildenhall if I remember correctly. I pay BT to watch speedway gp’s and MotoGP’s on tv/tablet plus whatever other motor sports that take my fancy and that’s it.  I would be very cautious at going to any stadium meeting at the moment, seems like too many supporters just dying to get together in groups chatting etc because “that’s what speedway supporters do”, yes maybe when it’s safe to do so but just because the government is relaxing rules doesn’t mean to say COVID has agreed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

WtoG….. the like is for you reference to health problems and your reason not to go.

Many think come July 17 the terraces will be packed. They may well be but it’s certain there are many like yourself with health problems who won’t go because of the current situation which will be made worse for many come July 17.  
In the late 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and up got early 80’s I was an avid BV fan, every Saturday night during the season. Drifted away, didn’t see much of the Sky tv racing, but came back in 2013 by going to Cardiff, and in 2014 and 2015.  Only been to 2 live meetings other then Cardiff, the World Team Championship 2016 at BV and late 2019 to watch the Colts thrash Mildenhall if I remember correctly. I pay BT to watch speedway gp’s and MotoGP’s on tv/tablet plus whatever other motor sports that take my fancy and that’s it.  I would be very cautious at going to any stadium meeting at the moment, seems like too many supporters just dying to get together in groups chatting etc because “that’s what speedway supporters do”, yes maybe when it’s safe to do so but just because the government is relaxing rules doesn’t mean to say COVID has agreed.

The crowds at Lynn look the same to me as 2019. (Apart from Mondays live meeting, which was almost empty). Only difference i can see is 95% are wearing masks. I have a lung condition, but have had both jabs, i still go, and although i don't have to wear a mask, i do wear one of the blue NHS type as i find i can breath a little better than the cloth types.I hope  we can get back to normal soon, and the fans that are not coming feel like they can.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, TheScotsman said:

Quite possibly.

But these things can readily be overcome - if there's a will.

Might cost a couple of quid but got to be worth it.

I don't know all the rule's & regs about visa's & permit's but as I wanted to change a permit when I was very much younger & I was in NZ I was unable to change it in NZ & was instructed that I would need to go to another country to make the change to an existing permit. I declined & decided to go on to Australia as I had already planned. Still love NZ.

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I thought the racing was ok on Monday. But people are moaning. I don't know how many of them have watched it live though, if any on this thread, would be my guess. You get used to it, i don't even think about it until it's mentioned.  

Thanks to Nicholls & Jorgensen.

This is the thing, you say the racing was ok on Monday, that shows how desensitised you've become if that was an ok meeting. What was on offer on Monday would be a bad meeting anywhere else. King's Lynn is an FTG, 1 lap race track, you've all forgotten what racing actually looks like. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Thanks to Nicholls & Jorgensen.

This is the thing, you say the racing was ok on Monday, that shows how desensitised you've become if that was an ok meeting. What was on offer on Monday would be a bad meeting anywhere else. King's Lynn is an FTG, 1 lap race track, you've all forgotten what racing actually looks like. 

Nope. I've seen worse on TV. How many people on these 17 pages have said it was a poor meeting. I haven't looked, and most watched it on TV, so have other meetings at other tracks to compare it to .Some did moan about the mesh. Not all, but most wasn't there, just giving their opinion from seeing it on TV

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

Nope. I've seen worse on TV. How many people on these 17 pages have said it was a poor meeting. I haven't looked, and most watched it on TV, so have other meeting at other tracks to compare it to. There some moans about the mesh..

Nobody has said it was a bad meeting, but what that have said is, it was an ok meeting for King's Lynn. That says everything 

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Nobody has said it was a bad meeting, but what that have said is, it was an ok meeting for King's Lynn. That says everything 

You said it would be a" bad meeting anywhere else".... Not true imo. It was an OK meeting for most tracks i would say.

53 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

The crowds at Lynn look the same to me as 2019. (Apart from Mondays live meeting, which was almost empty). Only difference i can see is 95% are wearing masks. I have a lung condition, but have had both jabs, i still go, and although i don't have to wear a mask, i do wear one of the blue NHS type as i find i can breath a little better than the cloth types.I hope  we can get back to normal soon, and the fans that are not coming feel like they can.

As they numbers contacting COVID and admitted to hospital increases, currently about 28,000 each day, and thoughts are could increase to 50,000 per week and more, those who have had 2 jabs do not seem to be getting severe COVID, but it is expected the number of long COVID sufferers, which seems nasty, will increase. Deaths will increase, unfortunately, but not to high figures as in the past. So taking precautions, is taking responsibility into our own hands and acting sensibly.  I hope there are not too many who think all defences down because the government says we can, COVID is not listening to governments or anybody else.  Learning to live with it means learning to manage to coexist with it. 

I think the stock car mesh isn't an issue if you are a regular, you soon get used to it. I can understand why occasional or first time visitors don't like it but it is what it is.

I thought the racing was pretty good, Cook was exciting to watch as well as Jorgensen and Nicholls. I don't think it will be very good until we get rid of that awful shale but it was much better than I've seen for a few years, presumably because it was slicker.

As for Covid, I'm double jabbed and would would have no issue returning to live sport, even a packed football stadium but its personal choice. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crumpet85 said:

Why don't you restrict your corona scaremongering nonsense to the covid thread and leave the speedway threads out of it. :rolleyes:

I was supporting WayToGo, whats wrong with that.  He has a health problem he is managing and it good to give support, we all need support at times.Not everyone listens to what you and your maties spout.  WTGo has health problems that he is trying to manage, he mentioned it on this thread, so I try to give him some support, I dont see you or the others giving anyone any support your only those who think as you do,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

As they numbers contacting COVID and admitted to hospital increases, currently about 28,000 each day, and thoughts are could increase to 50,000 per week and more, those who have had 2 jabs do not seem to be getting severe COVID, but it is expected the number of long COVID sufferers, which seems nasty, will increase. Deaths will increase, unfortunately, but not to high figures as in the past. So taking precautions, is taking responsibility into our own hands and acting sensibly.  I hope there are not too many who think all defences down because the government says we can, COVID is not listening to governments or anybody else.  Learning to live with it means learning to manage to coexist with it. 

Hospital admissions are way below the prediction made by the experts (which shows just how wrong they are) and the NHS is under no increased pressure from Covid.  The experts predicted 60,000 daily by now and they are way off the mark. The truth is the variant isn’t a real issue to the UK right now.

The sooner we get used to living with this virus the better, it’s going nowhere. So long as hospital admissions don’t start rising at an alarming rate (they aren’t) and deaths don’t start increasing at a rapid rate (they aren’t) then it’s time to start moving forward as a nation.  The vaccine is doing its job (as well as killing some too). 

• Like 3

On 7/5/2021 at 9:22 PM, Hawk127 said:

A good performance by Ipswich but in fairness this is Championship speedway. The powers that be need to get the sport sorted and stop pretending. It does not and will not ever compete with Poland so stop dreaming and give joe public regular weekly racing with local riders and teams that the punter can relate to not the mis- mash  you have today and put the meetings on when you have the best chance of a decent gate and stop using the excuse of rider availability. Make work or shut it down.

And charge premiership prices a joke.

13 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

You said it would be a" bad meeting anywhere else".... Not true imo. It was an OK meeting for most tracks i would say.

Danny is pretty much anti Lynn in everything that happens concerning them nowadays.As you and several have said the racing was ok

16 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I thought the track was terrible for the first 5 races, peaked for the 2nd 5 and then slickened off for the last 5