British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pirates on tour. Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle.6/7/8/8/21

1 minute ago, orion said:

Glug , Glug , Glug 

Very funny Orion.:blink:. Duh.

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

....made it so difficult on what is a track that is (almost) impossible to pass on.

Berwick is by no means impossible to pass on but it takes top quality riders to do it.

Under a previous promotion the Bordernapolis individual meetings featured top men of the time, and I recall the likes of Loram, Louis and Screen putting on a great show (on one occasion, in a monsoon!).

7 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Berwick is by no means impossible to pass on but it takes top quality riders to do it.

Under a previous promotion the Bordernapolis individual meetings featured top men of the time, and I recall the likes of Loram, Louis and Screen putting on a great show (on one occasion, in a monsoon!).

These days are long gone in GB speedway.The  top quality is just not there.

• Sad 1

I mean Schlein doesn’t even try to pass despite having the speed, never has done at Shielfield, Jørgensen is a current day rider who isn’t the quickest in the league, but knows exactly how to pass here, a while ago, Mudgway, Complin, Makovsky were passing experts, but yes our track is fairly gate and go unfortunately, I wish it wasn’t

I think it says it all about Schlein the British Champion and Poole no1 ,gate and win or miss gate and don’t try a leg.Making plenty cash though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Whoops, sorry folks.....cover yer noses I just farted! 

Can sumone open the Forum window please, jeez I just blew me conrod reet thru me big end! :oops:

:rofl:

Edited by PirateShip

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

These days are long gone in GB speedway.The  top quality is just not there.

And to think a couple of years ago, I was having a discussion on here with people regarding the strength of the Premier League/Championnship and how it was much stronger back in the day than these days. I was then laughed at and told Kyle Howarth , Ricky Wells et all would of averaged 10 point figures in the company of Wilson, Stonehewer, Carr, Watson, Schott etc :rofl:

Be interesting if someone could drag that thread back up.

Edited by Pinny

It’s going to be so satisfying when Poole don’t win the league. The entitlement is staggering. I might even cheer on the ‘flash the cash’ Tigers against them. 

Edited by JanAndersen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

It’s going to be so satisfying when Poole don’t win the league. The entitlement is staggering. I might even cheer on the ‘flash the cash’ Tigers against them. 

What are you talking about? Since when has anyone claimed entitlement?:mad:

Let's hope it's not the Monarchs then who win the title. :D

30 minutes ago, Shaleshifter said:

What are you talking about? Since when has anyone claimed entitlement?:mad:

Let's hope it's not the Monarchs then who win the title. :D

Read some of the posts in this thread. Some seem to think Poole just need to turn up these tracks and a win is a fornaility. Well done Berwick - yes Poole were under strength but Berwick’s line-up was hardly what they’d ideally want either. Mon the Diamonds….

Edited by JanAndersen
  • Like 1

So on we go to Newcastle and fingers crossed that today’s racing goes ahead. The weather has been dreadful to be honest. Looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the south. B)

The sooner we get our 1-7 the better 3 points from 2 guests isn’t good enough. 

53 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Entitlement? Poole are the biggest club in British speedway for a reason. Even now when we are in the Championship we are still the biggest club. No one has got near us in the last 20 years and that’s why clubs get excited when Poole come to town and when they manage to beat us. Pirates rarely have bad teams and in sport that’s the way it works. 

There’s no entitlement. We have to earn our wins like any other team. The difference is the club is run to win trophies and titles, not make up the numbers and hope for the occasional success. We should have won last night and we should win today if it’s on. That’s club mentality. No being second best.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think many believed that Poole had this meeting in the bag before it started.. I’ll be honest, I was one of them… but I think a few are forgetting the bad luck we had during the meeting (Wells and Aaron falling when in points scoring positions)… it could have been slightly worse for Poole! The momentum definitely swung in heat 13 though… our usual downfall didn’t play out this week… and oh how it lifted the spirits of Berwick fans :approve:
Thanks to Havvy for not using Danyon Hume like he should have been :lol: I’m sure the Pirates fans will see a very different James Wright today though as to who was in their colours last night! 
And on the plus side for those who do read my blogs… I ain’t gonna be too miserable this week :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So on we go to Newcastle and fingers crossed that today’s racing goes ahead. The weather has been dreadful to be honest. Looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the south. B)

The sooner we get our 1-7 the better 3 points from 2 guests isn’t good enough. 

Entitlement? Poole are the biggest club in British speedway for a reason. Even now when we are in the Championship we are still the biggest club. No one has got near us in the last 20 years and that’s why clubs get excited when Poole come to town and when they manage to beat us. Pirates rarely have bad teams and in sport that’s the way it works. 

There’s no entitlement. We have to earn our wins like any other team. The difference is the club is run to win trophies and titles, not make up the numbers and hope for the occasional success. We should have won last night and we should win today if it’s on. That’s club mentality. No being second best.

Case in point. There’s a fine line between a confident mentality and an arrogant one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Case in point. There’s a fine line between a confident mentality and an arrogant one.

To be fair, I do get the 'Poole outlook'..

I am old enough to remember when United got relegated in 1974 and going to away grounds in the 2nd Division the following year with sometimes over 25,000 other United fans and completely taking over grounds, towns and cities..

We just expected to win because of who we were.. 

That year, fortunately, we did win more than lose and went back up...

I would imagine with Poole being the "Manchester United of Speedway" some of their fans will feel a sense of entitlement bordering on arrogance, however, regularly winning things can, and does, lead to that...

Like having United in the 2nd tier that year. Having Poole in the 2nd Division can only be good business for the clubs they visit I would say..

(Except of course Poole fans wont run quite as amok at the stadiums as several thousand Reds did in those days)..:D

Hope the weather plays nice today and Newcastle get 1000 or even more in attendance...