British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

GP round 7 Malilla Sweden Saturday August 14th live on BT Sport

1 minute ago, chunky said:

It's bad enough travelling around the world for five minutes of action; who the hell would want to do it for TWO minutes?

Everyone is so concerned about "being fair" to the fans, but what about being fair to participants?

Depends what the money's like doesn't it. Some people are prepared to up sticks and move their whole life and family to the other side of the world to sit on a bench at the side of a football pitch every week...

And talking about being fair to participants... I assume you're referring to the Poles having 6 home GP's :lol:

Agree with the  two riders running away with it this year and agree that no system is perfect but just feel that the system with every point counting was the best for the gps but the present system is not for me 

i am only interested in it because i ve still in r/rs bash the bookie Comp lol

6 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

but just feel that the system with every point counting was the best for the gps but the present system is not for me 

As I said, I preferred it, but is it right when the winner of a GP gets a lot fewer points that the guys behind him?

How is it fair one can score 14 points over 7 races and end up with 20?. I also do not like this system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

How is it fair one can score 14 points over 7 races and end up with 20?. I also do not like this system.

The same way that a rider could score 6 points in the Inter-Continental Final and then win the World Final.

The first 20 heats are just there to decide the Top 8 finishers - and then everyone starts from scratch.

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

The same way that a rider could score 6 points in the Inter-Continental Final and then win the World Final.

The first 20 heats are just there to decide the Top 8 finishers - and then everyone starts from scratch.

I know that Chunky, I just don’t like it.

lt's all very simple, you see; there are three goals in the current system.

1) Qualify for the semi-finals by finishing in the Top 8.

2) Qualify for the final.

3) Win the final and the GP.

There is absolutely nothing unfair to it - not to the riders, anyway. Everybody knows the rules, and everybody has the same chance...

1 minute ago, customhouseregular said:

I know that Chunky, I just don’t like it.

But you were okay with it in the days of the old World Final?

That is my whole point...

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

But... the first 20 races also decide the bottom 8 placings based on the points scored in those 20 races

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I personally preferred the old knockout GP system starting with 24 riders and then cutting them down to a final 4. The racing was really cut throat in those days. 

Obviously the riders didn't like that because they could be going home after 2 rides.

and the problem with that one was someone could go off the inside gates in all of their races

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

But... the first 20 races also decide the bottom 8 placings based on the points scored in those 20 races

Sigh...

You know, they don't even have to award points for those; think of it as a bonus! Nobody complained that the Daily Mirror GP only awarded points to the Top 10...

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

and the problem with that one was someone could go off the inside gates in all of their races

That was a flaw... easily changed though, they just elected not to

Just now, iainb said:

But it's only now you are admitting that there was a flaw?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Sigh...

You know, they don't even have to award points for those; think of it as a bonus! Nobody complained that the Daily Mirror GP only awarded points to the Top 10...

Agreed top 10 should only get points like in F1. They're effectively running 2 systems in one at the moment

Edited by iainb

Just now, iainb said:

rattle the box with 4 coloured ball in to determine gate positions, had that years ago in 2nd halves and was the fairest way

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

I know but after the inter continental final the riders had 5 rides to win the world final not one race 

in the old world finals the pressure was on for five rides now the top eight virtually pick themselves meaning to me the 20 heats can become meaningless