British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Belle Vue v Peterborough 9th August

What a crazy 4 meetings between Belle Vue & Peterborough!

Belle Vue winning comfortably twice at the Showground and Peterborough getting a draw and win at NSS.

If they meet in playoffs will be 2 great meetings but Belle Vue have won on aggregate both times so far. 

Enjoyed that tonight.. 

Much better racing than the Wolves match..

Seemed a decent crowd (ish), in the stand from where I was sat, back straight didnt have that many though..

Dads Army deservingly triumphed with "Young Pike" sensational.. 

Take a bow Jordan Palin...

MPT with some great moves and Hans with some "proper team riding" and showing how to still get places through track craft when your opponents behind you have faster machinery.. 

Bjarne showed in glimpses what a class act he always has been.

And Bomber and Scott picked up places when needed..

As for the Aces?

Riders at Two, Three and Four, once again, failed to win the 'clutch heats' that make the difference as seems to happen year in and year out with the Aces..

Those races when they are the "main man" are the ones against the better teams that they invariably wilt under the pressure..

Wells did as expected..

Brennan will be cheesed off he got eclipsed by Palin I am sure, but will come back..

Kurtz seems to have had his career peak and his trying to pass Anderson (with a much faster bike), was truly awful and without any thought or strategy.. 

And as for Dan?

I think he is starting to understand how Crumpy must have felt for a good many years riding for the Aces .:D

Truly a one man band...

Well done the Panthers...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

What a crazy 4 meetings between Belle Vue & Peterborough!

Belle Vue winning comfortably twice at the Showground and Peterborough getting a draw and win at NSS.

If they meet in playoffs will be 2 great meetings but Belle Vue have won on aggregate both times so far. 

Depends if your #1 stays fit   

• Like 1

Fully deserved Panthers win, seven heat wins for BV five of them for Bewley underlines how bang average we are, Palin was superb tonight and Panthers could even afford to carry Harris. Peterborough and Wolves are the best two teams in the league, Panthers team has been well built always ensuring a high scoring reserve, we didnt deserve to get out of jail in the last heat and paper over the cracks, disappointing for us but apart from Bewley and Brennan who as a young rider has got improvement in him the rest have reached their level.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Panthers giving it to the Aces again,,, whatever happened to Geoff the Aces fan

Sitting in his armchair listening to     "Aces of the Track"    not realising its not actually a Belle Vue record 

6 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Depends if your #1 stays fit   

Yes but our #6 not being fit was our biggest problem tonight, he is our 2nd best rider at NSS, need to find a replacement as sounds like will be out quite a while. 

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yes but our #6 not being fit was our biggest problem tonight, he is our 2nd best rider at NSS, need to find a replacement as sounds like will be out quite a while. 

The Aces' two, three, four and five scored 22 paid 24 between them off 17 rides..

Dan got 17 off six...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Aces must surely be looking to replace Kurtz now?

that has to win the brainless post of the year award if there was an award.

6 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Hume before Sheffield sign him permanently!! If they don't have to be British Ben Cook, he is back soon, I think. 

1 minute ago, neb said:

Oh, I don't know!

The way it's going though you are better off keeping him as he'll be at reserve next year. Joke before anyone starts!!! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, neb said:

Do say why? Is Kurtz performing as you'd expect a rider with several Ekstraliga & Australian Championship titles to?

Or do you believe there to be no rider out there available who could?

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Oh, I don't know!

The way it's going though you are better off keeping him as he'll be at reserve next year. Joke before anyone starts!!! 

To be honest I never took the hype of Kurtz when he first broke through as whenever I saw him he wasnt the rider who came with the "big write up" and Jack Holder always seemed to outperform him when I saw them in meetings together.. 

However, his scores generally seemed to suggest a big future so I put it down to him just not performing on the odd occasion I watched him..

From what I have seen this year at the NSS, Sheffield, and on TV he can be "very quick" when in front but really poor when trying to pass riders from the back..

As in, he doesnt seem to have any plan of attack at all...

And when in front he often wins by miles but leaves his team mate to fend for himself, never once looking behind him at any stage of the race..

He has reached his level for me..

Unfortunately for the Aces, so have too many of his team mates..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

To be honest I never took the hype of Kurtz when he first broke through as whenever I saw him he wasnt the rider who came with the "big write up" and Jack Holder always seemed to outperform him when I saw them in meetings together.. 

However, his scores generally seemed to suggest a big future so I put it down to him just not performing on the odd occasion I watched him..

From what I have seen this year at the NSS, Sheffield, and on TV he can be "very quick" when in front but really poor when trying to pass riders from the back..

As in, he doesnt seem to have any plan of attack at all...

And when in front he often wins by miles but leaves his team mate to fend for himself, never once looking behind him at any stage of the race..

He has reached his level for me..

Unfortunately for the Aces, so have too many of his team mates..

Yep, on paper Aces look really good! From press conferences Poole had after meetings in 2019, Brady gets super defensive if you question his scoring on any level. At Poole he'd never get sacked esp when stays with Middlo (still does I think), and basically the team was always built around him, so lack of motivation? At BV what does Lemo do? Does he have a word saying he needs to improve his scoring? Is his job super safe? So he is not kept on his toes enough with the prospect of being dropped like other riders? Though BV tend to stick with their riders more than other teams do anyway.