British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

7 hours ago, eric i said:

What are these under 21 and under 17 competitions, does Discovery have the rights to the world under 21 championship?

4 years of Gorzów, doesn't bowed well, something tells me they are going to operate very similar to the BSI i.e like any business, go where the money is.

Yes under the new contract- Onesport have lost the U21 contract

On 9/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, Ghostwalker said:

Tony Rickardsson has apparently been recruited as an ambassador for SGP.

That's good to hear, I actually suggested this after listening to him on the Tatum & Pearson podcast around a year ago and he still sounded as enthusiastic about Speedway as he ever has. The guy is a living legend and has not been used to promote the sport at all

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iainb said:

That's good to hear, I actually suggested this after listening to him on the Tatum & Pearson podcast around a year ago and he still sounded as enthusiastic about Speedway as he ever has. The guy is a living legend and has not been used to promote the sport at all

Has he put himself forward to do so?

16 minutes ago, Trees said:

Has he put himself forward to do so?

I Don't know

16 hours ago, iainb said:

I Don't know

I've always thought he'd finished with the sport but I don't read the Swedish speedway press so may be totally wrong ....

5 hours ago, Trees said:

I've always thought he'd finished with the sport but I don't read the Swedish speedway press so may be totally wrong ....

I thought that also but after listening to the podcast he seems very much still into it which is why I'm surprised he has nothing to do with it anymore

9 hours ago, Trees said:

I don't know if he has any involvement in Sweden, but he certainly spent time earlier this year at a kids training camp in Gdansk, giving some advice and coaching alongside Tai Woffinden.

17 hours ago, Trees said:

IIRC he had some involvement with Antonio Lindbäck for a brief period of time.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, Ghostwalker said:

IIRC he had some involvement with Antonio Lindbäck for a brief period of time.

That was more than a decade ago...

Without checking the facts and what really happened, from memory I would say TRick walked away and was happy to do it in more or less one piece. Not really sure what his involvement would do or how it would benefit the sport, but good luck to everyone trying.

11 hours ago, f-s-p said:

That was more than a decade ago...

Without checking the facts and what really happened, from memory I would say TRick walked away and was happy to do it in more or less one piece. Not really sure what his involvement would do or how it would benefit the sport, but good luck to everyone trying.

A quick google indicates that it was around 2008-2009 and that Tony supposedly was Antonio's manager at the time.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/dalarna/eftersnack-tony-och-antonio-i-exklusiv-intervju?sportmeny=0

Don't think Tony has been involved in anything speedway related since then though AFAIK.

Edited by Ghostwalker

On 9/28/2021 at 7:45 AM, f-s-p said:

Not really sure what his involvement would do or how it would benefit the sport, but good luck to everyone trying.

I assume he would/should be used to face the press, attend promotional events and wine and dine potential sponsors

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I assume he would/should be used to face the press, attend promotional events and wine and dine potential sponsors

Naturally. But he's been away for 15 years, most of the meetings would start with a presentation on who is this tall blonde swede who we pay 100k a year to be the figurehead of the sport.

34 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Naturally. But he's been away for 15 years, most of the meetings would start with a presentation on who is this tall blonde swede who we pay 100k a year to be the figurehead of the sport.

He's probably the most recently recognised name that's not currently riding maybe behind Bruce Penhall. He may not have the cut through in this country but I bet he has around Europe 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

He's probably the most recently recognised name that's not currently riding maybe behind Bruce Penhall. He may not have the cut through in this country but I bet he has around Europe 

Greg Hancock.