British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Big difference between being a 'miserable git' and calling it as you see it. I think the majority of people criticise out of disappointment because they desperately want it to be good.

Look, we ALWAYS want it to be good, but sadly, it rarely is... I don't blame it on temporary tracks, just the fact that the machinery has "progressed" (and I use that term very loosely) to the point where the bikes can only be ridden on concrete, and the riders don't have a clue how to ride on dirt because of what the crazy power the bikes have. As I said earlier, if you TRULY attack the track (like Bewley and Holder did), you CAN make it work.

As Crump and Hancock both said, there were a lot worse tracks back in the day - and I can only agree with them...

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I knew everyone would be complaining, but I had a great time.

Took my son's mate, who is 18. He loved it too and couldn't believe how skilled they were.

By the end he was booing Madsen for taking his time choosing a gate position and chanting "Bewleeey, Bewleeey" along with everyone.

Sorry about that.

I can well imagine it would've been good to have been there, I probably would have come away saying the same as you, especially after the result, Dan's win was the big saver though, surely you'd agree on that.  Truth is it came across on tv as an absolute shambles, there was almost no passing, the delays although inevitable were ridiculous. 

I do actually wish I'd gone just to see Dan's victory, what a proud night for him, such a lovely lad too, never see him lose his cool.  

Steve Shovlar posted earlier to say it was a worthwhile trip after seeing a Brit take the win, the atmosphere for the final sounded brilliant through the tv, you all made a proper racket, well done, glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Fantastic track yes, but even with a temporary stand in place, Belle Vue can only accommodate about 12,000, nowhere near a typical Cardiff attendance.

Cardiff is an all day event with bars, cafe's and the fanzone all part of the experience.

Belle Vue is in a dump of an area in Manchester called Gorton, well away from the city centre, which has absolutely nothing to offer travelling fans part from the meeting itself.

Aha!!…so it IS a all about money and gimmicks then and any semblance of entertainment or actual racing and overtaking on the track, isn’t relevant!!! Attitudes like yours are unfortunately the reason why utter shambolic farces like tonight will keep happening but as seen this year, less and less gullible people will be fooled into wasting their money watching the rubbish, until finally only 12,000 want to actually see it! THEN sense will finally prevail and the actual racing will finally become important again and these meetings will be held on a PROPER speedway track where you can watch some PROPER racing! 

• Like 1

Just now, nw42 said:

the delays although inevitable were ridiculous. 

No more ridiculous than some of the refereeing!

I live in newport glad I didn't go not the money issue just the hassle getting home plus not the  best of grand prix 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

THEN sense will finally prevail and the actual racing will finally become important again

Sadly, the racing hasn't been important in Britain for years...

Without a ton of cash - and an increase in suitable venues, speedway is unlikely to be important again...

• Like 1

I'm not sure the track was any worse than it was back when Chris Harris won it.

Cardiff was rough for years but seemed to have improved lately.

Harris would have loved it out there today.

• Like 1

Just now, keepturningleft said:

Dan has now replaced Tai as the main Brit.

Dan seems to be a genuine “down to earth” guy. Which is nice to see from a Brit.

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Harris would have loved it out there today.

Or any other grass-tracker...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I’ve no doubt that it’s better to see it live and be caught up in the atmosphere.

Everyone was complaining about the lack of atmosphere for most of the meeting, but I could certainly feel it during the final!

1 minute ago, mc131 said:

Dan upto 4th in standings just takes it all in his stride 

He certainly seems to be one-of-a-kind!

• Like 1