British Speedway Forum

I think the point is though that it probably needs more than one year, I think a quota system will generally produce more talent than not as in Poland even if there are a few sinkers. It also needs to not be about individual leagues, the sport needs to work together and unfortunately that hasn't been the case for some time. I suspect covid has contributed to less foreign rubbish nding up at the bottom of Champ sides and to be fair there needs to be more coming through from the development leagues to provide the CL with a flow of reserves. There is a lull now which might be natural after a decent crop of U21s like we have now. 

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think the point is though that it probably needs more than one year, I think a quota system will generally produce more talent than not as in Poland even if there are a few sinkers. It also needs to not be about individual leagues, the sport needs to work together and unfortunately that hasn't been the case for some time. I suspect covid has contributed to less foreign rubbish nding up at the bottom of Champ sides and to be fair there needs to be more coming through from the development leagues to provide the CL with a flow of reserves. There is a lull now which might be natural after a decent crop of U21s like we have now. 

Would totally agree on the last point, these things tend to be cyclical and the next real crop is a couple of years away as witnessed by the lack of riders at 500cc in the youth championships last year. 

The 250cc and 125cc classes were bursting with talent that should hit the NDL in the next couple of years 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

Would totally agree on the last point, these things tend to be cyclical and the next real crop is a couple of years away as witnessed by the lack of riders at 500cc in the youth championships last year. 

The 250cc and 125cc classes were bursting with talent that should hit the NDL in the next couple of years 

Which is why as a whole the RS system was always farcical and destined to failure. It was hailed an initial "success" because there was a crop of riders ready to make the step up (and by fortune the promotions managed to get these riders at a cheap rate rather than let them haggle out their own deals). Now the CL doesn't need/fancy the next crop coming through they have closed the doors leaving instead the RS at PL level by name only but in reality its a place for a home grown star which the Continental major leagues have been doing for years.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:19 PM, Diamonds85 said:

Surely it's only a matter of time before one of the Russian rider effected teams sign him up?

But he's got a contract with Falubaz Zielona Góra (same as Fricke).  I haven't looked what Ekstraliga have done about the team spots for the Laguta's & Sayfutdinov recently, but when I last looked it seemed as though they would use guests.  Shouldn't affect either riding on Mondays or Thursdays in GB as almost all Polish league fixtures are on a weekend.  If Zagar has ridden in Elitserien recently it has gone under my radar.

Edited by Col

4 minutes ago, Col said:

But he's got a contract with Falubaz Zielona Góra (same as Fricke).  I haven't looked what Ekstraliga have done about the team spots for the Laguta's & Sayfutdinov recently, but when I last looked it seemed as though they would use guests.  Shouldn't affect either riding on Mondays or Thursdays in GB as almost all Polish league fixtures are on a weekend.  If Zagar has ridden in Elitserien recently it has gone under my radar.

They're using rider replacement only

I see.

1 hour ago, gmuncie said:

If you are good enough you will organically get your shot at championship level though as proven by the fact that people have been able to come up with 1 name only for a young British rider who potentially should be in the championship.

Getting young British riders into the championship has and never will be an issue, getting them into the Prem and abroad is where the problem has been in the past and hopefully with rising star still in the prem, no8’s and the premiership junior league as well as the work being done by team GB on the international front then these pathways should be opening.

it is not the clubs at championship level to care about teams in the premiership or team gb individually that is the job for the bspl / team gb set up so why should their clubs be damaged by having to water down the league by putting in guys that aren’t ready / not good enough just to fill a quota as happened in places last year.

Because having a strong middle tier of British Speedway will make thousands more attend every track, and attract millions more to watch on TV wont it? :D

I remember when Speedway in the UK was in its pomp, hardly anyone tuned in to watch PC, DJ, John Louis, Malc Simmons etc etc blasting the rest of the world sideways as they lifted more world championships. Instead millions tuned in to the TV in the hope that there would be some highlights from the previous weeks' Crayford v Ellesmere Port match..... :D

Thank goodness the middle tier of UK Speedway is doing so well...:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Because having a strong middle tier of British Speedway will make thousands more attend every track, and attract millions more to watch on TV wont it? :D

I remember when Speedway in the UK was in its pomp, hardly anyone tuned in to watch PC, DJ, John Louis, Malc Simmons etc etc blasting the rest of the world sideways as they lifted more world championships. Instead millions tuned in to the TV in the hope that there would be some highlights from the previous weeks' Crayford v Ellesmere Port match..... :D

No no your right we’ll devalue and weaken the second tier in the off chance that in 3-5 years time the almighty Premiership clubs who are all doing so fantastically well at the moment  will deem someone who would have gotten their chance anyway good enough 

Tbf I guess the way it going it’s probably the only way your team would manage to field a 1-7 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

In my opinion the Premiership is too small, it offers too little variety of teams. 

Lack of variety of teams, riders, competitions etc. No Test Matches, local derbies, star-studded open meetings. What is there to whet the appetite week after week?. 

• Like 1

The easiest way of encouraging British riders is to have a minimum number of British riders in each team. I would suggest three or possibly four would be a good idea. Then you make team building rules that make a non British rider have one point added to their average which will encourage teams to use more than the minimum number of British riders.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

In my opinion the Premiership is too small, it offers too little variety of teams. 

I don't think anybody world disagree with that, but at present there appears to be little to encourage new teams up to the Prem.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

The second tier has been the cannon fodder trying to keep the top tier alive for at least 30 years. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't think anybody world disagree with that, but at present there appears to be little to encourage new teams up to the Prem.

No that is true, the only alternative would seem to be one big league. 

12 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

No that is true, the only alternative would seem to be one big league. 

Where do all the riders come from for one big league? Unless all riders ride for two teams, riding for the home team when they meet with the away team using R/R for the same rider.

• Like 1