British Speedway Forum
emilali

Berwick Bandits 2022

51 minutes ago, Normski said:

Leicester benefiting from using Edwards as a guest. No disrespect but I don't think Coles would have scored 11+2 last week at Berwick

Edwards following in Bombers tracks guesting for all quite rightly,Redcar got a good one there.

Think Gary Flint is being very diplomatic with Kyle saying he has lost his confidence racing at Championship Level and needs to take a break.He has had 3 Full seasons at reserve in Championship.He is still young but not sure he is not at his level now.Retires from too many race when at the back for me.

• Like 3

The last few pages have woken a few folk up!

As I see it, to introduce Jonas Knudsen for the injured Ty Proctor, there had to be two changes.  Bandits were over 42.5 in total points this month.   Kyle Bickley was just the unlucky domino.

Kyle has indeed suffered a sad lack of form at CL level recently, and a rest from CL pressures -- while still at Berwick, skippering the NDL-leading Bullets -- will hopefully recharge his confidence, bringing him back as the rider who just weeks ago was sailing past Craig Cook!.

Both Greg Blair and Luke Crang are in their 'thirties, and both have already raced for the Bandits in the current campaign, taking the odd ride in matches they were #8.

Nathan Stoneman has raced twice at Shielfield this season, beating Bickley, Blair, Crang and Watson in the process.    Given the need to bring in a lower average to balance the new line-up, and the connection with Oxford, his signing makes reasonable sense.

I agree that, of the current Bullets, I see Ace Pijper and Mason Watson as the improving youngsters who might be available for bigger things in the future -- but with Leon Flint as a shining example, to brand running an NDL squad as a "waste of time" is absolute nonsense.

If you can produce one rider, maybe every two years, from NDL racing to progress up the sport for you, then the job's a winner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

The last few pages have woken a few folk up!

As I see it, to introduce Jonas Knudsen for the injured Ty Proctor, there had to be two changes.  Bandits were over 42.5 in total points this month.   Kyle Bickley was just the unlucky domino.

Kyle has indeed suffered a sad lack of form at CL level recently, and a rest from CL pressures -- while still at Berwick, skippering the NDL-leading Bullets -- will hopefully recharge his confidence, bringing him back as the rider who just weeks ago was sailing past Craig Cook!.

Both Greg Blair and Luke Crang are in their 'thirties, and both have already raced for the Bandits in the current campaign, taking the odd ride in matches they were #8.

Nathan Stoneman has raced twice at Shielfield this season, beating Bickley, Blair, Crang and Watson in the process.    Given the need to bring in a lower average to balance the new line-up, and the connection with Oxford, his signing makes reasonable sense.

I agree that, of the current Bullets, I see Ace Pijper and Mason Watson as the improving youngsters who might be available for bigger things in the future -- but with Leon Flint as a shining example, to brand running an NDL squad as a "waste of time" is absolute nonsense.

If you can produce one rider, maybe every two years, from NDL racing to progress up the sport for you, then the job's a winner.

and Broc Nichol, hope Kyle gets fixed up with a team place soon.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:30 AM, HGould said:

he' going to be the next Jack Smith, always the one with promise and potential but basicaly still where he was 3-4 years ago. A good NDL rider who can score a few ponts as a CL reserve.

May be a focus on improving in to a CL second string instead of wasting time and money in Poland whould be good advice?

I remember around just 4 years ago watching him regularly in the Colts alongside Dan Bewley...

With the two of them often riding Ht 13 and Ht 15 together...

With Bickley more than a match for Bewley and would win his fair share of heats when they rode together..

And as he often outgated Dan, who had to fight his way through from the back, the margin of some victories showed he was more than capable, with Dan not always making any impression gap wise, and race win times between the two were very comparable..

Amazing that Dan is now on such a hugely different career path, in what is a pretty short period of time, especially given the Covid break..

One knocking on the GP Finals door, and the other struggling to hold down a reserve place in Division 2 of the UK..

Hope there is a way back for the kid, but it will take a huge amount of tenacity and resilience to get himself onto the career path that seemed likely for him when rode for the Colts first up..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I remember around just 4 years ago watching him regularly in the Colts alongside Dan Bewley...

With Bickley more than a match for Bewley and would win his fair share of heats when they rode together..

And as he often outgated Dan, who had to fight his way through from the back, the margin of some victories showed he was more than capable, with Dan not always making any impression gap wise, and race win times between the two were very comparable..

Amazing that Dan is now on such a hugely different career path, in what is a pretty short period of time, especially given the Covid break..

One knocking on the GP Finals door, and the other struggling to hold down a reserve place in Division 2 of the UK..

Hope there is a way back for the kid, but it will take a huge amount of tenacity and resilience to get himself onto the career path that seemed likely for him when rode for the Colts first up..

Similarly if go back further with nick Morris and Rob Branford in their Buxton days. Rob looked in some ways better prospect but never got above champ reserve, while nick gone on to far better things. Funny old world speedway 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Similarly if go back further with nick Morris and Rob Branford in their Buxton days. Rob looked in some ways better prospect but never got above champ reserve, while nick gone on to far better things. Funny old world speedway 

We have all seen youngsters with prospects but many just fade away.I could name a few who never got past 2nd division level in the old days,it’s a tough sport and it’s even harder now.

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

We have all seen youngsters with prospects but many just fade away.I could name a few who never got past 2nd division level in the old days,it’s a tough sport and it’s even harder now.

Talking of youngsters, did you watch Oscar Paluch on Friday. only 16 last Wedensday, scored 5 paid 6 on his debut for Gorzow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I was not watching speedway regularly at that time, but I have chatted to a few people who mentioned this & cant help wondering if getting out gated and having to scrap through from the back is what made the difference, was good for Bewley as it taught him to fight for the wins and not give up.

In my opinion being quick off the line and winning from the front a lot is not always the best training for young racers in any form of motorsport. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

But Coles was unavailable and the next choice would be Tom Spencer, who while progressing nicely, would be way over matched. However naming and then dropping Coles the previous evening does still confirm your point.

I'm not suggesting Spencer should be used in every match, but surely they must've known they could've beaten Newcastle while giving a NL lion cub a chance?

3 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Greg Blair rode for the Bandits about 13 years ago. Ace Pijper is someone who will move up and into the Bandits team, not Greg Blair or Luke Crang, they’re not up and coming.

But Blair & Crang are riding in a "development" league, would it not aid their development to get a chance in the Champ?

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

But Blair & Crang are riding in a "development" league, would it not aid their development to get a chance in the Champ?

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

They won’t ever hold down aTeam Place in the Championship,unless the product is watered down even more.IMO

12 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

They’re both riding for the fun of it and have full time jobs, they’re not trying to ‘make it’

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They won’t ever hold down aTeam Place in the Championship,unless the product is watered down even more.IMO

Watered down even more? The championship has never been stronger!

9 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

They’re both riding for the fun of it and have full time jobs, they’re not trying to ‘make it’

I certainly was under the impression, they still wanted to move up to Champ level?