British Speedway Forum

So, so far we have Max fricke Vs tai woffinden. Are we getting drip fed the lineups or slow to get rider to come?

Notice quite a few ex tigers qualified for the gp challenge too. Thomsen, bellego, bewley and rasser all be there. Hopefully good news for rasser in particular 

19 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

So, so far we have Max fricke Vs tai woffinden. Are we getting drip fed the lineups or slow to get rider to come?

Notice quite a few ex tigers qualified for the gp challenge too. Thomsen, bellego, bewley and rasser all be there. Hopefully good news for rasser in particular 

It’s pretty poor to run against a Championship fixture .IMO.

• Like 2

Don't at all see the relevance I'm afraid - unless perhaps the Championship fixture (some 100+ milea away) would be impacted through rider selection, and there's been no indication of this. Why not applaud Glasgow's ambition and reward for backing the national team?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I'm sure international riders calendars dictated when a test match could be stage. Russian SGP was scheduled for 9th July so the Polish Ekstraliga has a week off.

Berwick have plenty of Saturday's to run fixtures, provided they can get the staff.

5 minutes ago, gmarsbar2 said:

I'm sure international riders calendars dictated when a test match could be stage. Russian SGP was scheduled for 9th July so the Polish Ekstraliga has a week off.

Berwick have plenty of Saturday's to run fixtures, provided they can get the staff.

Berwick’s fixture was already arranged,whatever way you look at it.Not sure there will be a lot of big names in the Teams.( could be wrong though)

I'm not sure how many of the 150 (estimated) supporters who left last week will be back as there was a fair bit of anger about the delays on Sunday. I'm 'old skool' in that i've seen racing in much worse conditions and it's still been good riding but i understand that modern riders like everything to be perfect and i wasn't really bothered about the two hour delay but i  AM concerned about the loss of supporters long-term and i believe there must be something down to keep the track dry and avert these regular delays. Why not large tarpaulin strips (roughly eight - 2 on the corners and two on each straight) fastened to the top of the fences and rolled out to the centre green and held down by pegs or something to allow the rain to run down? It's 2022 and the unpredictable nature of speedway being staged with certain regularity is what is helping to drive fans away. If only half of those fans venture back then that's 75 less fans through the gate next time. Something needs to be done instead of an over-reliance on the (admittedly very good) track staff. Any thoughts?

43 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

I'm not sure how many of the 150 (estimated) supporters who left last week will be back as there was a fair bit of anger about the delays on Sunday. I'm 'old skool' in that i've seen racing in much worse conditions and it's still been good riding but i understand that modern riders like everything to be perfect and i wasn't really bothered about the two hour delay but i  AM concerned about the loss of supporters long-term and i believe there must be something down to keep the track dry and avert these regular delays. Why not large tarpaulin strips (roughly eight - 2 on the corners and two on each straight) fastened to the top of the fences and rolled out to the centre green and held down by pegs or something to allow the rain to run down? It's 2022 and the unpredictable nature of speedway being staged with certain regularity is what is helping to drive fans away. If only half of those fans venture back then that's 75 less fans through the gate next time. Something needs to be done instead of an over-reliance on the (admittedly very good) track staff. Any thoughts?

Health and Safety rules nowadays,the riders know the meeting will be re-run ,so don’t really care. Track covers been tried.IMO to labour intensive ,track still has to be prepared to a degree once removed if just bends covered ( riders not happy with dry onto wet).Major factor if raining at start time meeting will not go ahead anyway.No easy way out of the situation.Early call off probably best bet,but with riders competing all over the place finding dates to hold abandoned fixture is a headache.

Thats my thoughts.

• Like 3

Might sound a bit obvious but why does speedway have to be an outdoor sport? Obviously there is an additional cost element but with the mega warehouse structures that are built these days why could a stadia not become enclosed? Telford used to take place indoors so no apparent reasons why not and there would then be a 365 day a year facility and no issues with weather restrictions.....any thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Might sound a bit obvious but why does speedway have to be an outdoor sport? Obviously there is an additional cost element but with the mega warehouse structures that are built these days why could a stadia not become enclosed? Telford used to take place indoors so no apparent reasons why not and there would then be a 365 day a year facility and no issues with weather restrictions.....any thoughts?

As speedway is primarily run on shale tracks running indoors is not an option, dust being the main issue, it covers everything! The clean up costs would be phenomenal at any scale. If you have been to Cardiff ? which is considered a small track then the size of the building required would be huge to accommodate not only a crowd but health and safety regulations.

Anybody who has witnessed ‘ indoor speedway ‘ in the past, be that Telford, the NEC or elsewhere , will tell you it’s isn’t speedway as we know it, it’s gimmick speedway and not for the connoisseur’s.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Industry in California is the only venue I can think of that regularly stages speedway 'indoors'. But it has worked there for many years, so perhaps your suggestion has merit.

• Thanks 1

You can definitely create a better atmosphere indoors, with better lighting (imagine all the lights turning red for an exclusion) and reverberated sound but the earlier poster is correct you'd need to compromise on track size at most indoor arena facilities.

If you could find a large enough facility to include the right size and shape of track plus suitable spectator area's then it could be a game changer. Track preparation not subject to the elements, no rain offs. Better presentation.

I think if you're talking about erecting a roof over a current speedway track I can only imagine it would be extremely difficult and expensive.

I've been go-karting in such a converted warehouse but not to the scale needed to include a speedway track but there's a potential multi use of the 'centre green'. Let's watch some go karting while the tractors are on. Fantasy stuff unfortunately.  

On 6/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, Fromafar said:

I think it's the only way they could keep Bomber out of the meeting :lol:

22 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Health and Safety rules nowadays,the riders know the meeting will be re-run ,so don’t really care. Track covers been tried.IMO to labour intensive ,track still has to be prepared to a degree once removed if just bends covered ( riders not happy with dry onto wet).Major factor if raining at start time meeting will not go ahead anyway.No easy way out of the situation.Early call off probably best bet,but with riders competing all over the place finding dates to hold abandoned fixture is a headache.

Thats my thoughts.

Thanks Fromafar :t:

Seeing how his form has dropped sharply, I think Glasgow made a mistake leaving Bailey at 7 once he was the highest averaged reserve, same with Joe Thompson at Leicester.

Moving them to 6, with the weaker reserves (Nicol & Rowe) to 7, would have given them harder rides to prepare them for the jump into the top 5! Also could've meant it'd take longer for them to move out of the reserve berth, so once they finally moved into the top 5, they'd be more ready for it?

Bailey & Thompson's current low scores certainly aren't helping their teams or the riders confidence you'd think?

Also Nicol going to no 7 earlier, should help him score more points & find his form sooner!

Edited by szkocjasid

Basso in the wars at Peterborough tonight. By sounds of updates had passed Doyle who fenced him