British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

13 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

What about goret who rode for Plymouth at the beginning of last season.

I think Laurence Rogers riding himself would be better:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, lewy said:

I think Laurence Rogers riding himself would be better:blink:

Danno Verge. Hes ready to go. Been saying it for weeks and available on Wednesday nights

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M.D said:

This is a major problem and one of the reasons Eastbourne are taking a year out with  having to join the league so late and with no rider assets.

The only way round this I feel is to make just 2 leagues next season with a few of the Championship clubs moving up to the top league and a few of the third tier teams moving up to the Championship.

A watered down championship with some form of control over top end strength at that level.

But, and it's a big but, will fans and clubs want this?

Also the riders won't want this as this will limit doubling up and they won't want that as earnings will drop for them making it unfeasible for them to ride financially.

Its a very difficult situation we have for the next few years but one that needs to be addressed if we are to move forward in the UK

100% has to be the way forward.. 

However...

Due to Brexit, gone are the days of bringing West/East European and Scandinavian journeymen over on a "no risk" basis..

The no risk basis being that that these four and five point men would have been in an almost inexhaustible supply pre Brexit, meaning one in, then one out if it didnt work out, was the operating model...

It is no coincidence I am sure that after Brexit, Speedway promoters in the top two leagues suddenly discovered that we had a good many UK riders in Division 3... :D

Riders obviously who had gone unnoticed for decades when the UK promoters were bringing over any European or Scandinavian that even remotely looked like they could handle a Speedway bike..

Until there are enough riders for the teams the current situation can be the only way the sport can be ran...

And the way that the 2nd Div have already dispensed with the RS scheme after just one season suggests it will be the same for a long time to come..

(Providing there are enough teams to run the sport as a team entity long term obviously)....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

So you start the process with minus 3 riders...add a team in the way of Oxford, that needs another 7 riders, and all of a sudden, to make up the league's quota or riders, you are on minus 10. Give everyone else a 2-3 month head start and then surprise surprise, there's nobody left that you can mop up in the final weeks before the season starts. 

This goes to back up what I've said before, there is a very limited pool of riders. Hardly enough to go around now, as it is, and with people talking about how great it would be to see Eastbourne, Swindon, Coventry, Bradford etc return, you have to ask, where the riders to fill all those extra team places will come from.

Simplest option would be to lower the points limit & use the best remaining NL riders at the bottom of teams.

2 teams defunct from last season, freeing up 14 riders a few retirees,but their is still a surplus of at least 6 riders,Plymouth were not excepted until much later than brum declared intention to run and managed to put a team out that increased attendance as the season went on so it can be done but not easy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Simplest option would be to lower the points limit & use the best remaining NL riders at the bottom of teams.

Or not declare to run until you have a team pencilled in ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Normski said:

Jordan Stewart would be a good option

Didnt he actually have his big smash at brum. Might not fancy heading back for there!

4 hours ago, lewy said:

Not sure what his plans are but could kai huckenbeck be an option?

He wouod be a great signing. I hope we get him as one of our two remaining riders at belle vue

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Due to Brexit, gone are the days of bringing West/East European and Scandinavian journeymen over on a "no risk" basis..

Agreed. For far too long foreign over developing homegrown riders was a no brainer. Bring them over on a low assessed average.  If they're any good you've got yourself a ready made asset to sell or loan. If they're rubbish bin them off let them develop at home for a while and then bring them back on an even lower average.

Not a fan of Brexit but this might be one of the positive's to come out of it.  Get Jacob Rees Mogg all over it. Although he'll insist on 2 values, black leathers and cinder tracks I imagine.  

Kelleher would be a great signing on 4.05, he'll know all the Away Tracks now (apart from Oxford) and showed glimpses of real speed for Plymouth (isn't he track record holder there? which takes so doing on that tight track)

One name who has come close to a UK berth a few times at Newcastle and Poole is Smetana from Czech Republic and a track like PB could suit him.

Both those would make a very tight 2-7 with strength in depth and no passengers.

23 minutes ago, HGould said:

Kelleher would be a great signing on 4.05, he'll know all the Away Tracks now (apart from Oxford) and showed glimpses of real speed for Plymouth (isn't he track record holder there? which takes so doing on that tight track)

One name who has come close to a UK berth a few times at Newcastle and Poole is Smetana from Czech Republic and a track like PB could suit him.

Both those would make a very tight 2-7 with strength in depth and no passengers.

Good shouts....I too would chance my arm with Kelleher....but now that I know his official average, we know its not going to be him.....(from Rogers statement about Nielsen/Morris as reserves)

I'd prefer to watch Kelleher than Bates.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Fairly sure Keleher finished the 2021 season on only 4.05, looking at plymouth's (issue 24) averages.  Interesting that he's not been 'snapped up' anywhere else??

I guess you are being a bit sarcastic, as isn't he only good at Plymouth?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Didnt he actually have his big smash at brum. Might not fancy heading back for there!

Hasn't stopped Stef Nielsen!!