British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

You do question how get sell outs for beach volleyball, diving, lawn bowls during these events but most clubs can scarcely scare up 1000 fans to speedway. Wondered the same when was in Glasgow, hunger to watch any sport is there just getting people in the door seems the issue

I think its because we are major cities, its very rare that we get things like Beach Volleyball, world class swimming, world class athletics, its something new for the locals and it carries a lot of memories to look back on, I think Speedway as long become a sport that you will only attend if you know what its about, Speedway will never be a massive spectator sport in the UK ever again

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

You do question how get sell outs for beach volleyball, diving, lawn bowls during these events

Maybe by providing a product that people consider is worth paying money to go and see?  Not heard anyone complaining about not getting value for money at these games.

Having competitors "of your own" to cheer on helps too. Team England didn't resort to American or German "guests" if one of their own was missing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Maybe by providing a product that people consider is worth paying money to go and see?  Not heard anyone complaining about not getting value for money at these games.

Having competitors "of your own" to cheer on helps too. Team England didn't resort to American or German "guests" if one of their own was missing.

I have been to the Swimming, the Athletics and the Cricket during these games, well worth every penny, after these games I have been opened up to a lot more awareness of other sports than Football and Speedway, the value for money aspect alone has already made me want to attend more events like swimming, athletics etc, football and speedway are over priced and don't provide value for money, thankyou Birmingham 2022 for giving me my love for sport back 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HGould said:

Spot on. 

I think the myth started as banter at the rumour that St Andrews as being demolished and land sold so Blues would move in to Alexander and David Sullivan was coming back to BCFC and would do what he did at WHU re Stadia.

The Villa ladies sort of came out of that as a reply as Perry Barr is a Villa area

All Myths. 

Probably something to do with Wikipedia TBH. 

I saw the CWG Closing ceremony and one of the speakers stated that the games legacy should be that all sports in Birmingham and West Midlands should benefit from the publicity and positivity the Games has brought to the City and wider area.

Must be worth Brummies at least asking the question of the City Council/Games Federation if any benefit could be heading Perry Bar way.?

However unlikely that may seem - if you don't ask, you don't get!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:52 AM, Skidder1 said:

Must be worth Brummies at least asking the question of the City Council/Games Federation if any benefit could be heading Perry Bar way.?

To which the answer may well be "why didn't you offer to take part in Birmingham's Festival of Sport 2022?"

Joking aside, when the Council talks about sport, it refers to those sports that ordinary people can take part in, not just view from the sidelines. Participation is what it's all about these days.

Why don't Birmingham move into the NL they would still get the same 600 diehards turning up but the rider wages would be lower. If they had a really successful team and their advertising campaign bares fruit they might get nearer their break even figure. If they win some trophies and the the crowds grow then look at returning to Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric i said:

Why don't Birmingham move into the NL they would still get the same 600 diehards turning up but the rider wages would be lower. If they had a really successful team and their advertising campaign bares fruit they might get nearer their break even figure. If they win some trophies and the the crowds grow then look at returning to Championship. 

Certain teams do have "NDL" written all over them...

A level that they can be "successful" at  rather than always being an annual "also ran", and unable to really compete in the level above.. 

Many Championship teams are the same, big fish in a small pond, but unable to compete with the level above..

No idea why promoters take the risks they do moving up, especially considering none of the leagues bring any real media coverage or great financial rewards.. 

Ego maybe? Rubbing shoulders with "better riders"? 

Seems daft to risk your club to try and win something that will probably cost you more to win yet not get any guarantee that the increased costs will be covered through an increased attendance..

As many have said, two leagues, one professional and one very much semi professional/new starters has to be a consideration..

A "Premiership Lite" and an "NDL Plus"...

With each club going into whichever league based on their organic growth position in the sport.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric i said:

600? Where u get that figure from when Tolley himself said they get about 300 & best crowd was 500 & something.

If a club drops down a league it's naive to say that they will retain the same crowd level of diehards. Even they can disheartened that's why the diehards av got smaller in number.

That kind of naivety invariably closes club's down.

2 minutes ago, Turnip said:

600? Where u get that figure from when Tolley himself said they get about 300 & best crowd was 500 & something.

If a club drops down a league it's naive to say that they will retain the same crowd level of diehards. Even they can disheartened that's why the diehards av got smaller in number.

Poole seem to be doing very well crowd wise since they dropped down a level...

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That's only because we changed back to the traditional Wednesday night where people want it & support it no matter the league.

If the club was allowed Wednesday Premiership racing then they would move up with even bigger crowds.

Thursday isn't supported so well for speedway in Poole hence the drop in crowd level even for the Premiership.

It's the race night not which league for Poole.

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Poole charged £10 on wed night and a " huge" crowd turned up ,normal price and not so many turn up, now if only someone could think i will charge £ 10 all season adjust rider costs we could be on a winner here:t:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Turnip said:

350 to 400, and haven't got above 600 according to report in star, but point being the same regardless. Clubs have moved up and down leagues in the past and seen little change in their attendance. If you are club struggling at the bottom of the table for a number years, its better to move down and see if you can make it pay being a big fish in small pond.

• Like 1

Would anyone know if Birmingham av ever, or any other club for that matter, actually engaged with the local community to attract more people?

When I say local community I mean the diverse cultures in & around the area?

Hardly ever see Asian, black & other similar communities at speedway. Av they been asked & are simply not interested?