British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

Tonight's result shows that there is no need for changes when the team all ride to their best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Dog said:

Ideally the riders should be spread around to the clubs permently using guests or r/r, but we know that won't happen... 

Riders who don't have a team CAN'T guest for others, which makes no sense to me. But hey that's British Speedway for you!

Edit: at first I thought you meant shared around as guests, or do you mean as permanent signings?

Edited by szkocjasid

13 hours ago, The Dog said:

Tbh I don't think I would. Let Pearson gain as much experience as possible, not just with speedway but with life experience too. It could just well pay off next season. 

If Clegg was going to be the difference between making the play offs or not, then worth considering but I don't think that's the case atm 

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

You're probably right there Dog....however, I don't think there will be a next season if crowd numbers continue to decline....

My reasoning behind Clegg is two-fold, may be entice a few Ex-Heathens and make home meetings more competitive.

Like you, I would like to see Pearson develop, he looks a good prospect....not as good as I envisaged from reports etc.....

If Pearson was a Birmingham asset I would agree with you, but as he belongs to Belle Vue I'd drop him if it makes you stronger.

Even if he stays & improves there's nothing to stop him leaving in 2023 for Poole or Glasgow!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, *JJ said:

Tonight's result shows that there is no need for changes when the team all ride to their best.

Why haven't they rode to their best till now?

Is it because there are available replacements now that Newcastle have folded ? 

20 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Why haven't they rode to their best till now?

Is it because there are available replacements now that Newcastle have folded ? 

Or did paco give everyone a lift!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Riders who don't have a team CAN'T guest for others, which makes no sense to me. But hey that's British Speedway for you!

Edit: at first I thought you meant shared around as guests, or do you mean as permanent signings?

I suggested a few weeks ago that guest appearances should be limited to one appearance for each team and once at each track.

Too sensible for BSPA to try lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I suggested a few weeks ago that guest appearances should be limited to one appearance for each team and once at each track.

Too sensible for BSPA to try lol

Speedway would collapse in around a fortnight if that happened. And Chris Harris would go bankrupt.

• Haha 2

Staggering article in the Speedway Star today outlining the investment Nigel has made and contunies to make and how far from break-even they are match to match, and how desperatley low some attendences have been.

Positive that he will get to the end of the season and pay all the bills though.

Its a strikingly similar scenario to other Clubs who have departed , outgoings exceeding incomings, declining attendences, declining sponsorship and advertising, increased costs, uncaring corporate landlords; and a group of riders whose machine and running costs dicate that they too are living in cloud cuckoo land about being full time professionals,  pandering to tuners and the latest weight saving gimmicks; and yes many Owners/Promoters own business models in cuckoo land too, hearts ruling their brains!.

With the other ogre the "developer" threatening Swindon, Edinburgh and Peterborough really is time to baton down the hatches and support all Clubs and hopefully come out the other side.

Its easy to blame Owners / Promoters as being incompetent, clueless, stupid and even crooks to varying degrees; but I saw how affected Peter and David were last season, aging visibly with worry and stress; and having read Rob Grants comments this week and those of others who have tried and failed in recent seasons in the past decade, it's clear to me that rather than attack those who have tried and failed and moan at those who are trying NOT to fail, it really does need some decisive action. All those that have failed have undoubtedly invested much financially and lost it and immesurable investment in time and stress.

That starts from the top down but us supporters also have a part to play from the bottom up. 

There are green shoots at Workington and hopefully at Swindon and Eastbourne and Oxford big-style are showing it IS possible. 

Edited by HGould
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It really is simple ,its not a full time job but a good hobby that pays ,cut the wages snd take or leave,only prople who make money are stadium owners and tuners back to basics sure would work .

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JCookie said:

Speedway would collapse in around a fortnight if that happened. And Chris Harris would go bankrupt.

I don't think that would ever happen - even if he only rode for one club!!!!!

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

It really is simple ,its not a full time job but a good hobby that pays ,cut the wages snd take or leave,only prople who make money are stadium owners and tuners back to basics sure would work .

I tend to agree here, if your paying your riders more than the gate receipts then that is the biggest problem. Sponsorship should be there to help with stuff like airfence panels and running costs for the track, not wages. I don't begrudge riders earnings, it's a very dangerous sport but clubs need to be self funding. 

I'd love to see a break-down of where the money has actually gone in Birminghams case so we can all understand better. ie, what the bond costs, stadium rent, medical expenses, riders costs etc because only then can you see what's really going on. And this goes for all speedway clubs in an attempt to save the sport. Sadly I don't think we'll ever know. 

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Permanent signings and try and be as close as possible to the injured riders average 

Given the crowd level/sponsorship requirements outlined by Brum prior to the start of the season then adding in the late team assembly, missing riders, medical cover disaster and the Ellis short termer not being declared it can be no surprise that Brum are losing money.

The only positive is that they can make it to the end of the season and pay all the bills as they go hopefully.