British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

16 hours ago, OGT said:

There was that plus guests, rider replacement, double rider replacement, rider replacement for Bob Valentine who was still riding, oh yes and more guests. 

Blimey I remember going to Brum v Hackney 1976 and I’m sure they used r/r for Gary Middleton and he rode too!!

5 hours ago, GWC said:

Blimey I remember going to Brum v Hackney 1976 and I’m sure they used r/r for Gary Middleton and he rode too!!

Think that was another one. We were up against it from day one that year, then the injury to Big Al made things a whole lot worse. We were allocated Jiri Stancl but he refused to join us and went to Cov instead. At least we didn't finish bottom of the league though, somehow we finished above Swindon. 

13 minutes ago, OGT said:

Think that was another one. We were up against it from day one that year, then the injury to Big Al made things a whole lot worse. We were allocated Jiri Stancl but he refused to join us and went to Cov instead. At least we didn't finish bottom of the league though, somehow we finished above Swindon. 

Think you’ll find everyone finished above Leicester in 1976! Boy were we poor that year. In one meeting I recall the ambulance coming out onto the track before the start of a race! I think it was one of our newly acquired reserves (Bogh or Szczepanik, excuse the spelling) practicing a start and fell off. You couldn’t make it up. Summed up the Lions 1976 campaign, but at least it was a good summer!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Think you’ll find everyone finished above Leicester in 1976! Boy were we poor that year. In one meeting I recall the ambulance coming out onto the track before the start of a race! I think it was one of our newly acquired reserves (Bogh or Szczepanik, excuse the spelling) practicing a start and fell off. You couldn’t make it up. Summed up the Lions 1976 campaign, but at least it was a good summer!

Oops I always get those two teams mixed up! :D

14 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Yes, however poor the Brummies were in the late 70s - and they were - we always finished above Leicester in the league! As for Swindon: I remeber a match in which their two top riders (Jan Anderson  and Martin Ashby?) took RR and TS in just about every heat, and scored about 30 between them; and the Brummies still won!

As for the summer: we have been bleating about the heat for the last two days. In 1976 it was like that for three months ... I used to go out to work with a gallon of orange juice, drank the lot and never peed a drop. Sweated it all out!

10 hours ago, *JJ said:

Yes, however poor the Brummies were in the late 70s - and they were - we always finished above Leicester in the league! As for Swindon: I remeber a match in which their two top riders (Jan Anderson  and Martin Ashby?) took RR and TS in just about every heat, and scored about 30 between them; and the Brummies still won!

That was our last home league match of 1977 and we won 41-37. The Robins were using R/R for the injured Martin Ashby and Alan Grahame won a rerun heat 13 to beat Bob Kilby and Jan Andersson, stopping Kilby getting a full 18 point maximum into the bargain. Kilby ended up with 17 points from 6 rides and Andersson 16+2 from 7 out of that total of 37.

11 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

No doubt he's trying too hard, but whats happened to Ash Morris of late

He's never been a consistent rider has he? Always blowing hot and cold.....never been a fan of his tbh

Great News!

The McDonalds Drive-Thru over the road from the stadium, which replaced the Seventh Trap pub, is now open for business, and is happily serving customers.

So, from demolition of the Seventh Trap, realigning Regina Drive, and bringing the construction up to opening, in only 16 weeks, that's an impressive achievement.

4 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Great News!

The McDonalds Drive-Thru over the road from the stadium, which replaced the Seventh Trap pub, is now open for business, and is happily serving customers.

So, from demolition of the Seventh Trap, realigning Regina Drive, and bringing the construction up to opening, in only 16 weeks, that's an impressive achievement.

Wonder what the rush was for,surely they weren’t expecting that big a jump in Brummie attendances.!!!!

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Wonder what the rush was for,surely they weren’t expecting that big a jump in Brummie attendances.!!!!

The Commonwealth games stadium is only 5 mins away, that mcDs will do a roaring trade 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, Fromafar said:

Wonder what the rush was for, surely, they weren’t expecting that big a jump in Brummie attendances.!!!!

Ronald McDonald will be available as a guest for the rest of the season. He already wears team colours :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Ronald McDonald will be available as a guest for the rest of the season. He already wears team colours :D 

Fink the race suit be way way too tight for you to fit in

So, where are B'ham going from here ?

What's the intentions of the current promotion for 2023 ?

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

So, where are B'ham going from here ?

What's the intentions of the current promotion for 2023 ?

I’d imagine that after getting crowds less than 400 that it looks very bleak unfortunately