British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enotian

Most League Title Medals

1 hour ago, chunky said:

........However, "The Baggies" also dates back to around the same period, and was used as an unofficial nickname. It was around the 1980's that "The Baggies" seemed to become the most used, possibly because it sounded cooler!....

As you travel from West Brom and move closer to Wolverhampton, the nickname undergoes further name change / modification. Some might be considered printable! :D

I'm a long suffering Tottenham fan and their nickname is always given as The Lilywhites but for as long as I can remember, everybody has called them The Spurs.

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Well, I believe that "The Throstles" may still be West Brom's "official" nickname. They adopted the name when they moved to The Hawthorns in 1900. However, "The Baggies" also dates back to around the same period, and was used as an unofficial nickname. It was around the 1980's that "The Baggies" seemed to become the most used, possibly because it sounded cooler!

Palace changed their nickname thanks to Malcolm Allison when he was manager. He changed their colours, and also the club crest. Instead of showing the original Crystal Palace, he used an Eagle holding a ball (based on the Benfica crest).

Thanks Chunky,  the Chelsea stuff is on wikipaedia as you said. ditto re Palace, about WBA it's not as clear so to me they will remain "The Throstles". My last year in England (1968) they beat Everton in the Cup Final 1-0 on a Jeff Astle goal. First one I ever saw on TV in colour-holy smokes -have I been gone that long.!!!Thanks for the other interesting comments too. , sorry for the digression from  speedway!

Swindon Town were once known as Railwaymen and Moonrakers, now Robins, same as nearby Bristol City and Cheltenham. Charlton were Robins now Valiants, since mid 60s. Also known as Addicks.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Coventry City we’re The Bantams, same as Bradford City, until Jimmy Hill took over and created The Sky Blues.

Can remember when Brighton and Hove Albion were known as The Dolphins before Seagulls.

11 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Swindon Town were once known as Railwaymen and Moonrakers, now Robins, same as nearby Bristol City and Cheltenham. Charlton were Robins now Valiants, since mid 60s. Also known as Addicks.

...especially like the reference to the "Moonrakers!"

• Like 1