British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Jim Lightfoot

Anyone (particularly old Bees fans). know how Cap'n Jim is doing these days. He was a stalwart of the great Coventry teams of the mid sixties

I think I am getting too old for this website. I recognise that Jim Lightfoot  was from a previous era-although Norbold and BL 65 will  probably recall him. Anyway after doing extensive (is there no other sort) research- Capn`Jim is still with us (same age as Reg Fearman). Good for Jim -a World Finalist in 1963- I am worried these riders will be forgotten. I would ask again for memories of Jim- Norbold, Chunky , Iris ,anyone....

• Like 1

I know that Tony Lomas once set up in business with Jim selling reproduction furniture but their relationship didn't work out .

• Like 1

Hi Bob, as far as I know and touch wood Jim is still doing fine. It was Jim who got me into speedway in the 50's as he used to work with my old man. In the 60's he had a body shop business in Exhall with with Mick Blackburn who used to be team manager at Brandon at one time. I trust that most of all of the old teams of the fifties and sixties at Brandon are still going strong, and I assume that John H and Nigel H are still in the hotel and golf course business. I remember that 1963 Final at Wembley I was there and I think Jim made reserve the following season.

14 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I think I am getting too old for this website. I recognise that Jim Lightfoot  was from a previous era-although Norbold and BL 65 will  probably recall him. Anyway after doing extensive (is there no other sort) research- Capn`Jim is still with us (same age as Reg Fearman). Good for Jim -a World Finalist in 1963- I am worried these riders will be forgotten. I would ask again for memories of Jim- Norbold, Chunky , Iris ,anyone....

I'm afraid to say I don't have any particular memories of Jim Lightfoot. I saw him several times of course at New Cross, West Ham and Hackney when he rode for Coventry and in various individual meetings, including the 1963 World Final that jrs mentions, where he came 14th. But I don't have any outstanding memories of him other than the fact he was a good competent rider. Sorry, Bob.

15 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Unfortunately, I'm not as old as you lot, so I don't actually have any memories of Jim. I'm sure I would have seen him ride, but I was only five when he retired...

Just digressing a little, it's an interesting comment that you made, Bob, about certain riders being forgotten - particularly English world finalists. It's not unusual to see stories about the old'uns, but names like Jim Lightfoot, Dick Fisher, Brian Brett, and George White are often ignored.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a succession of Bees home meetings decided by heat 13 (last heat) 5-1s for Booey and Cap’n Jim 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the memories folks- in answer to JRS I was looking at a team photo of Coventry in 1964- last year before the BL was established. Of that great team, I think the only two still with us are Jim Lightfoot and Rick France- Mountford, Boocock, Owen, Biggs, all passed away. Have to say I am not too sure if Col Cottrell is still alive though.

Also Chunky- you are right that guys like Brian Brett, Dick Fisher and George White are overlooked. unfortunately.

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks for all the memories folks- in answer to JRS I was looking at a team photo of Coventry in 1964- last year before the BL was established. Of that great team, I think the only two still with us are Jim Lightfoot and Rick France- Mountford, Boocock, Owen, Biggs, all passed away. Have to say I am not too sure if Col Cottrell is still alive though.

Also Chunky- you are right that guys like Brian Brett, Dick Fisher and George White are overlooked. unfortunately.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Col Cottrell passed away in 1982...

From what I can see, the following NL riders from 1964 are still with us are :

George Major, Colin McKee, Ove Fundin, Billy Bales, Trevor Hedge, Jim Lightfoot, Rick France, Jim Yacoby, Bill Powell, Norman Nevitt, Barry Briggs, Mike Broadbank, Martin Ashby, John Bishop, Mike Keen, Eddie Reeves, Reg Luckhurst, Bjorn Knutson, Stan Stevens, Norman Hunter, Ray Cresp, Alf Hagon, Sverre Harrfedlt, Gote Nordin, Roy Trigg,.

Thanks chunky- that cheered me up- but I think George Major in 1964 was a heat leader for CH in PL, maybe he rode a few meetings in NL (for Oxford maybe) but he was one of the stars of the PL primarily.

18 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks chunky- that cheered me up- but I think George Major in 1964 was a heat leader for CH in PL, maybe he rode a few meetings in NL (for Oxford maybe) but he was one of the stars of the PL primarily.

Yeah, he did have a few meetings for Oxford - and Norwich (in the Britannia Shield), which is why i included him.

Jim rose from second string in 1961 (a 4 point average  -see below) to world finalist in 1963. Quite an achievement!

Riders Scores & Averages
  M R Pts B Ave M P
Jack Young 37 101 194 11 8.12 2 2
Nigel Boocock 37 98 179 9 7.67 2 1
Les Owen 36 96 159 19 7.42 3 2
Ron Mountford 38 96 140 20 6.67 4 1
Nick Nicholls 38 91 105 22 5.58 - -
Kazimierz Bentke 32 66 64 12 4.61 - -
Jim Lightfoot 38 74 65 10 4.05 - 2
Maury Mattingley 6 10 7 0 2.80 - 1
Rick France 2 0 0 0 0.00 -