British Speedway Forum
PowerfulPierre

Leicester vs Oxford 7 May 2022

3 hours ago, Turnip said:

I stand on bend one and you could clearly see the 'dip' going into that bend (on the inside of the track) from the start of the meeting. 

A track guy pointed to this area when Dickson was driving the tractor.

Dip remained.

He was actually pointing out a patch of clay. Which Stewart was trying to grade away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

The only complaint I was told about from the riders was there was to much dirt ging into the bends which made it hard for them to turn.

Hmm... Troy Batchelor was in town, the only rider I saw get into any trouble was Josh MacDonald and he was coming back from injury too soon anyway and made a pigs ear of turn 3, other than that as a fan watching from the outside I couldn't have said there was anything wrong with the track... strange one

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Hmm... Troy Batchelor was in town, the only rider I saw get into any trouble was Josh MacDonald and he was coming back from injury too soon anyway and made a pigs ear of turn 3, other than that as a fan watching from the outside I couldn't have said there was anything wrong with the track... strange one

I can only go on what the riders say,  if they don't like it then it is up to us to try and change it,

3 hours ago, poole keith said:

im no expert H but polish clubs seem to get a lot of use out of their tracks and maintain them ok

Really 

I recall major problems at some Polish tracks in last few seasons with tracks and complaints, especially when it rains. 

They also have loads of modern state of the art kit. 

Besides most Polish tracks have full time employed staff, many UK tracks have 40 year old tractors and willing hard working volunteers making do. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 1

I remember speedway at Brandon. 

Every meeting right after second half you could stand in the upper bar and watch them blading the track back to perfection. 

I was told back then that a blade in the wrong hands is counter productive as you need an expert. 

Otherwise you just blade the contours of the old surface in to a new one, hence may be why dips remain. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

He was actually pointing out a patch of clay. Which Stewart was trying to grade away.

I think Richie Worrall mentioned something about the amount of clay when he was interviewed during  the interval two or three weeks ago.

The track did improve following  the long grading break after heat 4 (must have been ok as Morris set a new track record in heat 5) and I thought Stewart Dickson sounded a little embarrassed when he was interviewed regarding track conditions.

59 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

Well he wasn't successful coz I got s face full of it in the next heat! :rofl:

59 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'd have said Howarth, Mountain, Heeps and Thomas all looked ill at ease to some degree at some time during the meeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTFC LION said:

Not blaming Andy Meredith for anything, he worked hard over 3 days, but it just didn't work for him. 

You are quick to say I know nothing, and calling for a new track man to be installed. 

I know people will now guess who I am, to be honest I don't really care.

If anyone wants to take my place then you are welcome. 

It will involve work at the track on average 2 or 3 hours every evening after doing my day job, then on a Saturday from 8am to approximately 9.30pm.

Oh and then on a Sunday from 7.30 to 3.30 or 4pm if we have a practice day, also be available if a rider wants a couple of hours practice to test new equipment. 

Oh, it's all voluntary.  

Any takers?

Oh I didn’t realise it was you, now it makes sense. I didn’t actually say you don’t know what you are doing. I said it needs  experience and time dedicating to it. I also pointed out it seems to be Stewart that does the work on race days or having to give you direction.  I’ve also noticed that the tall guy in the cap isn’t there anymore. Maybe he’s fed up with it too. Why didn’t you get on the tractor last night and sort it out as you are the track curator ? I’m sorry if I have offended you but as a paying spectator I’m just voicing my opinion and saying what I see.  I’ve actually praised the Leicester track in recent weeks if you bother too look. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leave some for us. said:

as a paying spectator I’m just voicing my opinion and saying what I see.  I’ve actually praised the Leicester track in recent weeks if you bother too look. 

Same here... it's been bumpy all year but has certainly produced some fantastic speedway, last night for whatever reason most of the riders just didn't seem up for racing

Are they getting of that ridiculous motor cross style bump at the starting fate? Riders go over it and virtually take off entering bend one. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Are they getting of that ridiculous motor cross style bump at the starting fate? Riders go over it and virtually take off entering bend one. 

Yeah and most of the the material has ended up where the riders don’t want it, ie coming into the turns or filling in the craters so they don’t know where they are. 

17 minutes ago, Leave some for us. said:

Oh I didn’t realise it was you, now it makes sense. I didn’t actually say you don’t know what you are doing. I said it needs  experience and time dedicating to it. I also pointed out it seems to be Stewart that does the work on race days or having to give you direction.  I’ve also noticed that the tall guy in the cap isn’t there anymore. Maybe he’s fed up with it too. Why didn’t you get on the tractor last night and sort it out as you are the track curator ? I’m sorry if I have offended you but as a paying spectator I’m just voicing my opinion and saying what I see.  I’ve actually praised the Leicester track in recent weeks if you bother too look. 

Not offended, just get so fed up with everyone having a go when they have no idea what goes into all the prep.

Myself and Stewart are both licensed track curators, I do alot of the work in the week, with help from Sam,  as Stewart is the manager and he talks to the riders constantly he has the last say on what we do to the track.

Last night Andy Meredith was in control of the track as we had requested he came in to do the blade work. In a normal week it is normally me who does all the grading during the meeting, sometimes Sam or Hugh will grade as I have to do any watering. The tall guy in the cap as you describe him is unwell at the moment,  so I am sure when he is feeling up to it he will be back.

I did offer to go on the tractor but Stewart wanted to do it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BTFC LION said:

The only complaint I was told about from the riders was there was to much dirt ging into the bends which made it hard for them to turn.

No it wasn't!  The riders were concerned about what they were faced with if they were behind.  Scott Nicholls isn't a moaner. When he calls out the track, I think there's a good reason to listen to him.

It's good that Leicester have called in Andy Meredith, but they should have done that years ago.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

Not offended, just get so fed up with everyone having a go when they have no idea what goes into all the prep.

Myself and Stewart are both licensed track curators, I do alot of the work in the week, with help from Sam,  as Stewart is the manager and he talks to the riders constantly he has the last say on what we do to the track.

Last night Andy Meredith was in control of the track as we had requested he came in to do the blade work. In a normal week it is normally me who does all the grading during the meeting, sometimes Sam or Hugh will grade as I have to do any watering. The tall guy in the cap as you describe him is unwell at the moment,  so I am sure when he is feeling up to it he will be back.

I did offer to go on the tractor but Stewart wanted to do it. 

Everyone ?  Graham seemed to manage it without any fuss and he was on his own. I had to describe him as that as I don’t know his name but it obviously worked as you know exactly who I refer too. I did see a post on social media the other day with you tagged in it, congratulating each other on your efforts to turn the track around. You didn’t say it wasn’t me  it was all Andy Merideth, but now you are. I’m confused. Never mind hopefully next week will be better if I decide to come. Stewart maybe a licensed curator but he’s there to manage the team not do the track on race nights. 

Edited by Leave some for us.