British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh - new home required….

8 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Alternate Fridays for the Tigers/Monarchs, with the very occasional Sunday match, would be logistically possible. Glasgow have completed 13 home fixtures in 24 weeks.

Our season didn't start until 15th April - that could come forward to the start of April (although we advertise the season as starting in March), and Jubilee League/KO Cup matches could be on Sundays, with league on Friday nights.

Could even run double-headers, like Berwick do for Bandits/Bullets fixtures.

I think there's still a valid question of desirability and how many Monarchs fans would travel, but from a purely fixture logistics position, I think it could be accommodated even with both clubs using Friday nights. Rain-offs might need to be re-arranged for another day of the week, though.

Which would make supporting either/both clubs damned expensive, especially Monarchs fans who have the extra cost of fuel for getting to the track.

And, we appear to have forgotten all about the Armadale Devils in all of this. What happens to them?

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Which would make supporting either/both clubs damned expensive, especially Monarchs fans who have the extra cost of fuel for getting to the track.

And, we appear to have forgotten all about the Armadale Devils in all of this. What happens to them?

Or the monarchs academy who currently has a good group of young kids from the ages of 8 to 15 who have all invested in bikes and other equipment to make their journey in the sport. 

regarding Armadale stadium I know it has been taken off the market and it hasn’t been sold either. Would make sense for us to stay for another year while we try find another location which I know gordon is actively doing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Or the monarchs academy who currently has a good group of young kids from the ages of 8 to 15 who have all invested in bikes and other equipment to make their journey in the sport. 

regarding Armadale stadium I know it has been taken off the market and it hasn’t been sold either. Would make sense for us to stay for another year while we try find another location which I know gordon is actively doing.

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

If correct, what other income has it been generating for the owner, other than rental from the Monarchs, car parking, bar & catering?

The only other possible "benefit" I can imagine is that a reduction in rates paid for an unoccupied stadium, outweighs tenant occupancy & use, during the Speedway season?

has anyone though that glasgow might not want to hire the stadium to the monarchs in the first place after all they spent millions get it the way they wanted it ?

19 hours ago, cyclone said:

If correct, what other income has it been generating for the owner, other than rental from the Monarchs, car parking, bar & catering?

The only other possible "benefit" I can imagine is that a reduction in rates paid for an unoccupied stadium, outweighs tenant occupancy & use, during the Speedway season?

Probably better to leave it empty or demolished it to attract buyers IMO.Always better if no obstacles in the way for potential buyers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Probably better to leave it empty or demolished it to attract buyers IMO.Always better if no obstacles in the way for potential buyers.

Didnt the owners say that this was the plan? 

No "sitting tenants" to muddy the water.....

1 hour ago, davie10 said:

has anyone though that glasgow might not want to hire the stadium to the monarchs in the first place after all they spent millions get it the way they wanted it ?

What's the downside? A speedway track gets used an absolute maximum of one day a week on average. If you can make that two and get some income through rental then would seem worthwhile. I can't see it happening but not because Glasgow wouldn't do it. All IMO of course.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, StevePark said:

Transfer the franchise to Ashfield and resurrect the Giants....?

To be honest this is a big concern of mine too. 

There is precious little encouraging pathway for junior Scottish speedway talent. 

In the NDL crowd levels are a secondary concern. 

• Like 3

Could the Edinburgh Monarchs run NL speedway out of Glasgow? Less dates needed, cheaper to run & keep the name alive?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, StevePark said:

I think because Edinburgh have been running for 70+ years people are more concerned about keeping the club alive in the short term. If they get a new stadium NL team will be racing again too.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Could the Edinburgh Monarchs run NL speedway out of Glasgow? Less dates needed, cheaper to run & keep the name alive?

can’t see why not they can run any day if the week would need fans to support it to cover cost maybe even get connor bailey in the team less cost with local rider too 

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Have you been to any actual Devils meetings @ Armadale this year?

If you had, you would be aware that they have been sparsely attended.

So, to expect the Edinburgh Promotion to run a team @ Ashfield next Season imo would be financial suicide.

When the Edinburgh Promotion ran as the Scottish Monarchs from Shawfield in 1996, as the only Speedway track in Scotland that year, it was admitted that it nearly bankrupted them.

If there is to be a NDL team competing @ Ashfield in 2023, then surely it will be run by Glasgow themselves, and it ain't going to be called the Dale Devils!

For the Monarchs to return at some future date as "Edinburgh Monarchs" I reckon it would have to be at a location nearer the Capital, not further away, to attract viable attendances to support its existence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cyclone said:

For the Monarchs to return at some future date as "Edinburgh Monarchs" I reckon it would have to be at a location nearer the Capital, not further away, to attract viable attendances to support its existence.

I remember asking the question a number of years ago on the Chatzone re the club's name, as in, "does it have to be 'Edinburgh Monarchs'?"

My reasoning was along the lines of, over the years, we've also been 'Coatbridge Monarchs' as well as 'Scottish Monarchs'. City of Edinburgh Council didn't want us (presumably still don't), so why not change to Armadale Monarchs or something similar? Does it really make a difference?

Some of the replies were 'interesting' and it seemed quite a few posters were completely against the idea.

Roll forward to the present day, and assuming CEC are still anti-speedway, I don't really see what other choice we have. Change identity or die a death :(

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

8 hours ago, cyclone said:

Have you been to any actual Devils meetings @ Armadale this year?

If you had, you would be aware that they have been sparsely attended.

So, to expect the Edinburgh Promotion to run a team @ Ashfield next Season imo would be financial suicide.

When the Edinburgh Promotion ran as the Scottish Monarchs from Shawfield in 1996, as the only Speedway track in Scotland that year, it was admitted that it nearly bankrupted them.

If there is to be a NDL team competing @ Ashfield in 2023, then surely it will be run by Glasgow themselves, and it ain't going to be called the Dale Devils!

A NL side as a 2nd team will always be poorly attended compared to a NL side as the only team. Could get more fans as there is no senior side to watch?

Wether it's feasible financially, I have no idea.