British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar SGB Championship 29th May 2022- 4pm

Essentially if you build on the cheap you achieve nothing, harsh but true esp in speedway team circles .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Where did i say i want to see them go? I said its great to see them getting pumped every week…  

Do not feed the troll…

If your place of employment is not a happy one and your not getting ‘ your rewards ‘ then you don’t perform to your best or throw a ‘ sickie ‘ and don’t turn up.

The track was a vast improvement but it did appear to catch out the home riders who , as could be witnessed , were very low on morale for good reason ( the rumour you spoke of ? ).

No one wants to see it close but the problems are obvious.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

10 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

According to the promoters rant in the pits for all to hear…….NOW!

My comment is more about are we actually going to improve the side to any significant level to make the team competitive.

What was glaringly missing from the statement was that fact and a like for like change will not give us the improvement we so dearly need.

We have BWD injured and we at this point do not know how bad an injury Starkey has sustained. My biggest fear is an average signing replacing one of our more dependable scorers and bring down the overall team average, this or a NL rider joining at reserve which may add a couple of points to the team scores but won’t change the overall strength to the level that will even make us competitive at home.

This feels like a huge cross roads for the club after the shambolic match and score last night. There is a big statement needed to ensure the club hangs onto its core supporters who are the key to the club future, otherwise I can only see crowds falling to even lower levels than they are currently.

Let’s hope we see a couple of positive signings before we next take to the track.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

What I find puzzling with Rob Grants interview tonight (and for the record it was nice having a voice finally), was the comments about not being able to sign foreign riders - this linked to inability to apply for a sponsors licence (visa) following the liquidation of the original company he took over. 

I would love to find the quotes from him last season, think they could have been in the speedway star. But I am sure I have read that he tried to sign last season 

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

then again this season, I am sure I have seen a quote saying he tried to convince bjarne pedersen of riding. 

one question - was that all bollocks then? 

Can try to sign any rider on the planet. Would you ride for £50 a point?....no....ok well I tried.  

Didn't need to build a world beating side just strong home riders. Sadly loyalty to last years signings being the core before the top end was sorted proved costly.

1 hour ago, HendoWozGud said:

Forgive me for adding fuel to the fire but the negativity from the moment I walked into the stadium until the moment I left was palpable. At times I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Clearly the Diamonds fans I spoke with, and some of them are very long-standing ones as well, have had enough. They already appear to be voting with their feet as the attendance yesterday was poor and without the Redcar fans it would have been dreadful.

Someone said there was no atmosphere. There was from the Redcar fans but even they by the end were not as loud as they had been as they seemed somewhat embarrassed at how easy it was. Lest not anyone forget that they were excellent, really attacked the track and looked like a team that has been racing consistently and were on their metal.

Newcastle on the other hand were completely the opposite. Very, very rusty indeed apart from Howarth and again he's racing consistently. Losing Starke before the meeting was a huge blow. It may even get bigger if the rumours about him are true. Not my rumours BTW but rumours none-the-less. The Diamonds need a decision on BWD. Either get him fit and see what he's got to offer or cut him loose.

Wethers may well have a broken foot and be out for some time. The experiment of Congreve and Complin has been a disaster. One clearly is not ready for the show and whilst it's commendable that he spent so much of his own money, took the gamble to try and make it over here and can be applauded for doing so it's clear he's not good enough and the Management need to remember they are running a business.

The other reserve may or may not have suffered some poor refereeing decisions but in six rides he failed to score a point on his own track and when you weigh up that against what younger, fitter, hungrier reserves did in opposition again it begs the question that will he ever be good enough?

Clegg was clearly upset during the meeting and afterwards and his head just doesn't appear to be in it. Around Brough he's great, usually, but he needs more rides elsewhere if possible as he's another suffering from lack of track time. He has it within himself but his confidence and will seems lost at the moment.

Don't disagree within the current crop of riders of having Wright as captain but it's hard when he hardly sets his own track alight to see how he can inspire and help anyone around him. He's another clearly struggling for form and direction and until he finds that or indeed if he finds that can not be expected to be able to help others around him. 

It does perhaps seem a bit harsh to say that Heat 2 was the killer yesterday but it was. The feeling in both sets of camps when that race was completed and the riders returned to the pits was insane. One team already looked beaten and the other knew their opposition was there for the taking.

Have I any ideas where Newcastle can improve? No! But I'll tell you this, they do need to do so and quickly as it could be another track walk in September to remember what used to be. I do believe that Rob, Dave, Steve and those behind them are doing everything they can to change things around and are working night and day to try and change things.

They are not stupid, they are realists and they can see themselves just as the fans can that things need to change. Questions are 1.) have the will to do it? 2.) have they the money to do it? and 3.) if the answers to 1 & 2 are yes, have the riders they approach have the belief that they can do it?

From the outside looking in it's a mess. Leicester and Poole are the next two home meetings. Hardly a sobering thought for an administration and Club clearly out of sorts and battling against the odds. No BWD, no Starke and losing Wethers about two solid rides are all things that need to be taken into consideration. This is a side that is about to go into June and haven't had a chance, sometimes not of their own doing, to gel and become consistent. They may never get that.

I could urge patience. I could implore fans not to lose faith but it's very difficult to see that happening given the current situation. The terraces are just as shorn of regular committed fans as they are of new faces coming to watch. Speedway is a sport that is a spectacular and worthy one to support but it's very difficult to do so when the team you're watching week-in, week-out are so ineffective.

I also say that with the greatest respect to the guys going out there. They are trying their best but it's obvious they are not feeling it whether it's with themselves, with their machinery, with the promotion and management or just speedway life in general and that's hard to see and accept as fans.

One thing I would like to say and in some ways it might be another negative from a positive was the track. Without doubt the best I've seen it in years and seemed very smooth and fast reflected in the race times given out. Perhaps then that's one problem solved and now the Promotion and Management can move on to the next? 

Let's hope so as when I drove away from Brough Park last night I was seriously wondering how many, including myself, can continue to turn up and watch a famous, historic part of British Speedway slowly and painfully slip away.

Great post and sums up the position perfectly for me.

The crowd numbers are a concern and you have to ask yourself why they are reducing so dramatically. I have been coming to Newcastle speedway for over 40 years and have seen some shocking sides in the past but it has never had the effect on the crowd numbers that we are seeing today. 

One thing that is hugely concerning to me is that I have attended Redcar and Berwick over the last few weeks and the number of long time Newcastle fans in attendance has been an real eye opener, a large percentage of them who no longer attend Brough Park on a Sunday. As I have said we have seen some shocking teams over the years and these supporters have stuck with the club so why now?. I am sure they have their reasons but that is where the club need to look to start building our fan base, regular speedway fans from Newcastle who are already spending there money at other track on a regular basis.

This is only my own personal view but the club needs leaders, someone to lead the direction of the club, build strategies to drive the club forward, leaders to motivate the riders on track and leaders on track to inspire some of the younger guys in our side. The club is drifting at the moment and desperately needs someone to start building a new identity for the club and bringing in people who can work together to achieve it. I am not specifically knocking Rob and I so want him to make the club a success for both the fans and himself but unless the load is spread across some new blood in every department of the club then he will continue to struggle on his own against a tide which he will struggle to turn by himself. I do believe the club can be successful under the current ownership but it needs a new fresh approach as obviously the current one is not working.

Newcastle is a club divided at present and the only way that it can survive is with the promotion, staff and fans all pulling together to make it work. Newcastle speedway needs Rob Grant to survive but also the club needs the fans to make it viable. If it was me I would use this break in fixtures to open up the channels of communication with the fans, start being open about the challenges faced, the plans for moving forward and give the fans a voice in terms of their own thinking. The key to keeping this club in business is getting everyone back to pulling in the same direction, the fans can’t do that but the club has a huge opportunity to turn things round if they have the appetite for it.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Moranboys said:

In all fairness,losing any team would hurt the sport in general.

While that is true one of the problems is there isn't enough riders to go around without doubling up.

I sadly believe the doubling up rule diluted speedway and I can't think of any other sport that does it.

Is there really any credibility in a team sport that features team mates who are also rivals?

Yes I don't want to see track closing so another solution is required such as cutting team sizes to 5 or 6.

Whatever the solution is British Speedway needs a major overhaul.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Newcastle is a club divided at present and the only way that it can survive is with the promotion, staff and fans all pulling together to make it work. Newcastle speedway needs Rob Grant to survive but also the club needs the fans to make it viable. If it was me I would use this break in fixtures to open up the channels of communication with the fans, start being open about the challenges faced, the plans for moving forward and give the fans a voice in terms of their own thinking. The key to keeping this club in business is getting everyone back to pulling in the same direction, the fans can’t do that but the club has a huge opportunity to turn things round if they have the appetite for it.

A think that's a major problem these days, getting everyone pulling in the same direction,,, maybe too much diversity or selfishness, whatever way you want to look at it?

Just a suggestion.... Cut teams to 6 riders (main body) plus 2 reserves from NDL.  15 Heats....top 6 have 4 rides. 2 reserves have 3 rides each.... Total 15 Heats.

Position the reserve races at Heat 4, 8,12....

12 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

What I find puzzling with Rob Grants interview tonight (and for the record it was nice having a voice finally), was the comments about not being able to sign foreign riders - this linked to inability to apply for a sponsors licence (visa) following the liquidation of the original company he took over. 

I would love to find the quotes from him last season, think they could have been in the speedway star. But I am sure I have read that he tried to sign last season 

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

then again this season, I am sure I have seen a quote saying he tried to convince bjarne pedersen of riding. 

Unless he has left the club and I have missed it, I don't think Oxford would be to happy should Newcastle sign Batchelor.

Next home meeting could be the benchmark for crowd figures ( unless we have a major new signing) as yes Leicester are a good side but they won’t bring as many fans as Redcar, Berwick, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc.. Richie Worrall been here umpteen times as has Kyle Howarth + the meeting is being streamed by BSN so cheaper to stay in the house

We will see 

12 hours ago, Diamond geezer said:

- Kenneth bjerre

- Martin Smolinksi 

- Troy batchelor 

4 minutes ago, screm said:

Unless he has left the club and I have missed it, I don't think Oxford would be to happy should Newcastle sign Batchelor.

He must also have meant that he tried to sign the above (inc Batchelor) before the season started and Batch hadn't signed for Oxford at the time of asking?

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think that's a major problem these days, getting everyone pulling in the same direction,,, maybe too much diversity or selfishness, whatever way you want to look at it?

As much as it is hard to say, you just needed to look at the away pits yesterday to see how it is entirely possible.

It wasn’t long ago that Redcar were not in the best position themselves but the initial great work by Kevin Keay built on by Ben Duffil and then taken on by Jamie and Jade has transformed that club.

You just need to see the atmosphere with the riders and the fans to see the clubs is completely together and it is paying off with the crowd levels at their matches both home and away. The key is how they engage their fan base and interact with them on a regular basis. The club don’t have a huge budget compared to others but they have the rider bought into their project and that means the likes of Charles, Lewi and Erik will always be likely to return. They also have been growing their future with the signing of up and coming Brits like Jason Edwards which shows the direction they are looking to take the club.

As I say it’s is possible but it’s going to need a change in approach from the promotion to make it happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Quite apart from the poor team there’s one glaring issue that never gets mentioned and that’s the time it takes Newcastle speedway to run a meeting.  Starting at 4pm and finishing at 6:30pm just isn’t acceptable.  There were no major incidents just small delay after small delay mainly due to a lack of organisation.   Why not water the track for example while the medical officer was with Wethers !  Instead we had a delay for both !  No skirting on the air fence,  green light not working, tapes getting broken by the photographer. All silly little things that are down to a lack of professionalism.   During the delays the entertainment is dire. Roy’s drivel bores anyone to death and he interviews a random bloke off a radio station, a fan who happened to be on the center green plus a basketball player!  If you’re gonna have endless delays while people feed their faces on expensive burgers at least let’s hear from the riders or team managers. Overall it’s just a poor night out now ! 

Edited by Dinosaur
  • Like 3