British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v LEICESTER (double-header) June 4th (6.30pm)

14 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Of course but surely thats the point. If there was 80% of riders making the transition from NDL to CL and beyond it would point to a very weak league to move into. Just using 6 years ago i can count 20 riders who appeared on the NDL greensheets who have gone on to make a notable contribution to higher leagues, thats excluding a similar number again to have made CL level appearances. Personally i abhor those who dismiss the merits of any lower league in generating riders, where did the current crop of Lions cut their teeth....

OK, fair point... I did just pluck my numbers out of the air, which I shouldn't have done and I do understand that they are the future of the sport. I just don't want to pay to watch them at the level they are currently at. It's a personal choice and that's what my gripe is, with matches against these clubs I do not have this choice. The only choice I have is to attend or not to attend. I'm not so sure that the cost thing stacks up as a reason though... What proportion of fans follow both teams I wonder? Serious question

Added to that, there have been serious problems in recent years in getting double headers finished... especially with junior riders involved and R/R

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, iainb said:

OK, fair point... I did just pluck my numbers out of the air, which I shouldn't have done and I do understand that they are the future of the sport. I just don't want to pay to watch them at the level they are currently at. It's a personal choice and that's what my gripe is, with matches against these clubs I do not have this choice. The only choice I have is to attend or not to attend. I'm not so sure that the cost thing stacks up as a reason though... What proportion of fans follow both teams I wonder? Serious question

Added to that, there have been serious problems in recent years in getting double headers finished... especially with junior riders involved and R/R

As it happens i do agree that the choice is an issue, personally id like to see the meetings run the other way round, start a touch earlier perhaps then charge the double header fee for the start of the NDL fixture and normal CL rate from heat 10 onwards, offers the best of both to all supporters and gives the trickier track conditions to the "better" riders.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

As it happens i do agree that the choice is an issue, personally id like to see the meetings run the other way round, start a touch earlier perhaps then charge the double header fee for the start of the NDL fixture and normal CL rate from heat 10 onwards, offers the best of both to all supporters and gives the trickier track conditions to the "better" riders.

That does seem to be the sensible solution... Speedway not great at sensible solutions though

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iainb said:

How about just making it NOT a double header... And maybe fielding a full team... for a reasonable price?

Leicester using RR tonight. How about they field a full team?

Edited by Shadders

9 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Leicester using RR tonight. How about they field a full team?

I know... R/R is so annoying, sadly it's not down to me. Have you tried emailing the club? 

lions@leicesterspeedway.com

Don't hold your breath for a reply...

Edited by iainb

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I know... R/R is so annoying, sadly it's not down to me. Have you tried emailing the club? 

lions@leicesterspeedway.com

Don't hold your breath for a reply...

Pretty sure most clubs would opt for their regular 1-7 given the chance. Unfortunately injuries and other factors outside of speedway often don’t allow it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Pretty sure most clubs would opt for their regular 1-7 given the chance. Unfortunately injuries and other factors outside of speedway often don’t allow it. 

Personally, I always prefer a guest to R/R especially when running a double header... and you're stuffed if a rider gets injured early in the meeting... but that's a whole different debate

Edited by iainb

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Personally, I always prefer a guest to R/R especially when running a double header... and you're stuffed if a rider gets injured early in the meeting... but that's a whole different debate

Guests can be pretty hit and miss. Take Plymouth for example. Chris Harris scoring 3 points vs Edinburgh yesterday  probably cost them the meeting. 

Berwick have suffered more than most with three riders out injured at one stage. They’ll be two riders down this weekend. Jye Etheridge in particular is a huge loss, only dropping three points in four meetings at home before he was injured in heat 1 against  Redcar. 

Edited by Shadders

8 hours ago, iainb said:

You can’t get a guest for a rider 4th or 5th in the averages, it HAS to be r/r if he’s the only one of your 1-5 out unfortunately

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Shadders said:

Guests can be pretty hit and miss. Take Plymouth for example. Chris Harris scoring 3 points vs Edinburgh yesterday  probably cost them the meeting. 

Berwick have suffered more than most with three riders out injured at one stage. They’ll be two riders down this weekend. Jye Etheridge in particular is a huge loss, only dropping three points in four meetings at home before he was injured in heat 1 against  Redcar. 

R/R for Etheridge at home is like replacing Harry Kane with a Sunday League player. 3pts last Saturday from R/R when you consider Jye has been almost unbeatable around Berwick so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Normski said:

R/R for Etheridge at home is like replacing Harry Kane with a Sunday League player. 3pts last Saturday from R/R when you consider Jye has been almost unbeatable around Berwick so far.

Can they put a guest in? 

1 minute ago, Stuntdouble said:

Can they put a guest in? 

No not in top 3 of Averages

8 minutes ago, screm said:

http://www.leicesterspeedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.31953

Both teams now running R/R, hopefully we still get all thirty races.

R/R for a reserve am i missing something 

Edited by Normski
  • Like 1