British Speedway Forum
speed29

Do You Think Speedway might do in London in Future??.

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

Is Crayford Stadium still in existence?

I believe it is but on a much smaller site?

• Like 1

From memory of my only visit, it was pretty small then. 

The current Crayford stadium has no room for a track inside the greyhound track for a speedway track. The stand has very poor viewing of the dog track as it is built too close to the track so from most seats you can't see the start finish line. I used to watch speedway, stock cars and bangers regularly at the old stadium and went to have a look at the new stadium a couple of years after it opened. I fear that even if the dog track could be made into a speedway track it would be almost impossible to get planning permission and equally hard to actually be able to see all of the track which only has viewing on one straight.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, Hackett said:

Cost would be prohibitive. With so many "wokes" in society these days and noise pollution there is zero chance of speedway in London unless a Saudi Arabian Royal Family member falls in love with the sport. 

What have 'woke' people got to do with this???????

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They would surely be offended on behalf of everyone at the thought of motorcyclists injuring themselves or colliding with each other.

Is the stadium at Crystal Palace still there?

Edited by Guest
punctuation

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Is the stadium at Crystal Palace still there?

I Don't know, i wish Crystal Palace come back

The current Crystal Palace Athletics stadium is on the site where the old speedway was.

A few years ago Crystal Palace unveiled plans to move to the site and build a new stadium there cause it was where they originally played in their early years. These plans fell through and now the Eagles have plans to increase the capacity of their current Selhurst Park Stadium.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, speed29 said:

I Don't know, i wish Crystal Palace come back

I'm sure there used to be a car racing track in Crystal Palace? 

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

I'm sure there used to be a car racing track in Crystal Palace? 

Yes, the motor circuit used to feature car, sidecar and bike racing. It was the only non oval race track I have really enjoyed watching racing at. Sadly the athletics track cut across the bottom straight and they always had lots of complaints about noise from a local hospital. 

The chances of getting permission to run any motor sport would be very slim and that is if they would allow the athletics track to be dug up. There must be room in the grounds to build a simple stadium without knocking anything down but the noise issue would still stop anything happening.

2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Yes, the motor circuit used to feature car, sidecar and bike racing. It was the only non oval race track I have really enjoyed watching racing at. Sadly the athletics track cut across the bottom straight and they always had lots of complaints about noise from a local hospital. 

The chances of getting permission to run any motor sport would be very slim and that is if they would allow the athletics track to be dug up. There must be room in the grounds to build a simple stadium without knocking anything down but the noise issue would still stop anything happening.

Never saw any racing there, but i do remember they had a big advertising board up near the roundabout. Plus i seem to recall they had a motorcycle training school there, or at least the advert made me think it was there

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Never saw any racing there, but i do remember they had a big advertising board up near the roundabout. Plus i seem to recall they had a motorcycle training school there, or at least the advert made me think it was there

The motorcycle training school was on what is now a car park near where the Crystal Palace was until it burnt down.

• Like 1

A long shot, but one place which might be worth a look at is the Henry Barrass Stadium in Edmonton. Don't know how close it is to any housing, and it is basically a playing field today being used for non league football. However, it did once have a cinder running track and in the early 1960's Wally Mawdsley and Pete Lansdale unsuccessfully applied too run Provincial League speedway there. Looking on Google it appears that the owners are looking at ways to regenerate the site, and bring back its former glory.

If its possible, it would take a lot of money to introduce speedway there, but it could be hugely successful.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:37 AM, Vic Meldrew said:

They would surely be offended on behalf of everyone at the thought of motorcyclists injuring themselves or colliding with each other.

Grow up

• Like 1