British Speedway Forum
eric i

Redcar v Scunny

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Trouble is if you let the dirt go wide too early in the meeting you end up with one line right round the boards later on in the meeting which isn't good for the racing. Grading is a nuisance but sometimes it's required to keep the track good for 15 heats.

I agree grading is required but I do think you can can over grade as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint dave said:

After seeing we lost after having a 10 point lead with 3 heats to go, it reminded me of a meeting the Scunthorpe Saints rode in 1975 versus Workington.

We were up at heat 7 by 29-13, by heat 13 it ended 37-41 a 16 point swing. Two 2-4 heats followed  by four 1-5 heats.

Is that the biggest comeback by any team .?

Am sure the comets done something even better at crewe in the same year! Cant find details but sure someone will know

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Trouble is if you let the dirt go wide too early in the meeting you end up with one line right round the boards later on in the meeting which isn't good for the racing. Grading is a nuisance but sometimes it's required to keep the track good for 15 heats.

I was at Scunny last week with Berwick. They gave the track a good grade after Heat 3 as racing stopped for the sun and that was that for the whole meeting.The racing was decent and no dust

Just with regards to track grading, I used to work on track prep with Tony Swales at Cleveland Park (Middlesbrough) during the 80's for many years. I was also 1 of 6 track rakers (remember them?). We would pull back the shale from the outside of the track into the inside and the tractor would do 2 laps of the track to distribute this shale after EVERY heat of the match. No-one complained then about track grading.

And On last nights match I'm glad I kept all the Get Out Of Jail Free cards when I threw out my old Monopoly games.

22 minutes ago, eric i said:

I watched the stream for this and it was very good, commentator was fine. The Redcar set up is excellent and there was a few good races towards the end. My only gripe is the amount of track grading, it seemed unnecessary to do an extensive grade after heat 3. I think there would be better racing if dirt as left to move wider like it did towards the end of the meeting.

Lewi Kerr had two rides on the trot, so I'd imagine it would be to give him a little bit of extra time.

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Lewi Kerr had two rides on the trot, so I'd imagine it would be to give him a little bit of extra time.

It wasn't just a quick wizz round with the grader it was an extensive grade when the track was starting to get better.

Same amount of track grading as we get every week. The first track grade was a heat earlier than usual, definitely due to Lewi having 2 on the trot.

The meeting was still over in good time, well less than 2 hours, and yes it could be over quicker if no grading was done but would be at the detriment of the racing.

• Like 3

Great fight back. Jenkins did well. Still looked like he was suffering with his tummy bug. Steve Worrall was a strange choice of a guest initially. Looked far from fit in Mondays Wolves fixture. Not having a guest was a ridiculous choice. Especially that Edwards and Andersen are really struggling.

35 minutes ago, eric i said:

It wasn't just a quick wizz round with the grader it was an extensive grade when the track was starting to get better.

"A quick whizz" wouldn't have given him the extra time he may have needed. Common sense from Redcar, I would suggest.  Goes on at most, if not all, tracks.

I believe back in 1991 Arena Essex came back from 27-9 down to win at Exeter 44-46

32 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Same amount of track grading as we get every week. The first track grade was a heat earlier than usual, definitely due to Lewi having 2 on the trot.

The meeting was still over in good time, well less than 2 hours, and yes it could be over quicker if no grading was done but would be at the detriment of the racing.

I am not really complaining about the time it took, more that over grading/dragging dirt back is detrimental to racing, just as no grading is also detrimental.

3 minutes ago, StevePark said:

"A quick whizz" wouldn't have given him the extra time he may have needed. Common sense from Redcar, I would suggest.  Goes on at most, if not all, tracks.

IMO it was longer than needed/necessary. 

Unusually, they brought out the big water bowser. I guess the trackman identified a potential problem and acted quickly to prevent it becoming bigger issue (dust?) later in the meeting.

Edited by pvm

8 hours ago, mikebaker said:

Great fight back. Jenkins did well. Still looked like he was suffering with his tummy bug. Steve Worrall was a strange choice of a guest initially. Looked far from fit in Mondays Wolves fixture. Not having a guest was a ridiculous choice. Especially that Edwards and Andersen are really struggling.

“ Ridiculous choice” ? Not by choice at all, believe me they tried to get a guest but no one would do it. See Skunny team at Berwick for an example.

7 hours ago, pvm said:

Unusually, they brought out the big water bowser. I guess the trackman identified a potential problem and acted quickly to prevent it becoming bigger issue (dust?) later in the meeting.

With two of the best trackmen in the UK present, Jonathan Swales and Terry ‘ the track ‘ , I think we can safely say they knew what they were doing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

With two of the best trackmen in the UK present, Jonathan Swales and Terry ‘ the track ‘ , I think we can safely say they knew what they were doing.

I don't think Terry 'the track' has done Redcar for a few years now.