British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vince

Disqualification alternative

On 8/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, NeilWatson said:

SR 011.1.11 Primary Cause of Stoppage
The only person with the power to stop a heat is the Referee.
When a heat is stopped, the Referee shall disqualify the rider, who in their opinion is the primary cause of the stoppage.

Assuming the FIM rule is the same did Jim Lawrence chose to ignore it in the second GP at Horsens because he was incapable of deciding who was the primary cause in the back straight collision involving Pedersen, Zagar and Kildemand?

21 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

The trouble is, no matter how many officials you have or how many angles you view it from, in some situations it's purely subjective when apportioning blame. 

What are people's objections to a staggered restart if a referee called it as a racing incident? It seems perfectly reasonable to me. It shouldn't take any more time than the current system and I would have thought it fairer than an exclusion based on a toss of a coin when the referee isn't sure.

In the current system, how often do we see a rider who was tailed off in the initial race pop out of the start in the re run? At least it would negate that.

I'd like to see staggered restarts but only after the ref has excluded a rider. It's almost a discussion for a different thread. But I'd like to see riders rerun a race in the positions they were in at the time of the stoppage to disincline riders from committing the "professional foul"

How about a grading system. get the refs thinking a bit and cause some controversy at the same time.

Do we need to automatically exclude a rider? In a 50/50 accident have all 4 back. If a rider is deemed the cause of the stoppage then re-run but with a handicap (or a "Yellowcard"). If the rider is seen as dirty rider then exclude them from the race (Red card).

Imagine the boos from the crowd when that happened. Top entertainment. Oh, we can't have that can we.

And put the ref's phone back by the start line. Nice for a bit of old-skool aggro.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

How about a grading system. get the refs thinking a bit and cause some controversy at the same time.

Do we need to automatically exclude a rider? In a 50/50 accident have all 4 back. If a rider is deemed the cause of the stoppage then re-run but with a handicap (or a "Yellowcard"). If the rider is seen as dirty rider then exclude them from the race (Red card).

Imagine the boos from the crowd when that happened. Top entertainment. Oh, we can't have that can we.

And put the ref's phone back by the start line. Nice for a bit of old-skool aggro.

...remember reading Jack "The Villian" Millen once drop kicking the phone over the tapes!

Couldn't agree more as regards placement of phone. I once asked Bernard Crapper what he used to say to the the ref whilst waving his arms about in mock protest? He told me that he was often just passing the time of day but was playing up to the crowd to get them excited!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I like the idea of a Yellow and Red card system...

Many stoppages are not malicious but a loss of control therefore give the rider a Yellow and rerun the race with him 20 yards back..

If he cannot make the rerun then a reserve can come in off the same handicap.. 

For any "deliberate" or "reckless" acts then make it a Red..

Watching a top rider try who maybe moved or touched the tapes, or fell off of his own accord, come from 20 yards back rather than being excluded, would be worth watching..

And considerably much better VFM than having him watching the race with the rest of us..

• Like 1